Getting tp Port Canaveral

Angus1963

Praying for all of you in Matthew's path. My coworker is suppose to fly out on Sat to MCO and cruise out of PC on Sunday. Have a feeling that won't happen. I keep hoping this storm turns away at the last minute, Stay safe everyone.

I am pretty sure if you contact Expedia they will refund you. It is mandatory evacuations and lots of hotels have canceled reservations. Even if your hotel does stay open those rooms are gonna be needed for people whose homes have been destroyed. Stay safe everyone.

Based on the latest storm track, the eye of the storm will make landfall tonight, somewhere north of Miami - perhaps somewhere near Melborne, east of Orlando (that's further inland) ... very close to Cocoa Beach, a popular stop for those docking/visiting PC :eek:

It's still a Cat 4 storm with winds in excess of 125 mph, storm is mostly still in the Bahamas, 100+ miles to the southeast of PC but heading for the U.S. mainland.

Nassau's harbor webcam has gone offline and even their weather forecast station staff at the Nassau airport had to evacuate earlier this morning, as the area continue to take the pounding from the hurricane ... power (utilities) had been shut down orderly overnight and there are massive flooding along with the wind & rain. That's the closest non-US port that shorter cruises from the FL area often sail to - and, it won't be happening this weekend, 95% sure of that, given the live updates I am reading.

Even if the storm managed to miss PC area and/or leave the area by tomorrow evening or night, it will likely be just usable and/or reopen but restricted to emergency use and for residents returning home to do their damage assessments, etc. as the cleanup get underway ... restoring power & down lines, cutting away broken tree branches & clearing debris.

Assuming that cruise ships will be allowed back into the port (sometime on Saturday ??) and tractor trailers are staged and ready to fully restock the ship's supplies, they might just sail out of PC doing donuts in rough seas ... with no place to go - and, Matthew is still forecasted to loop around again to, possibly, make a 2nd. landfall next mid-week in Florida as a tropical storm.

Edited by mking8288

Evacuate ! Evacuate ! Evacuate ! That's what the FL governor just stated on CNN . If not people will die. This CAT 4 storm is no joke people . We usually cruise in October and I might would have stayed inland in a Cat 2 storm and then wait for Carnivals announcement on when boarding would start . But a CAT 4 Storm , I don't think so. Get out of there while you still can.

But by the time it was upgraded to Cat 4, it was already too late to leave. That was today at 11 am. Plus, a lot of people decided then to hit the road. Traffic horrible, no gas, no hotels...we don't want to be stuck in our car in this. And it was like that yesterday, also.

We have plenty of supplies, water, hurricane shutters up, and a generator. We really do think we are best off at this point to stay put. We live in a new house, so everything is built at the newest codes. It's a solid, concrete block house.

And yes, I heard the governor. He also said gas and hotels were available, not true. We are not in an evacuation area, still going to be bad, though.

Thanks all for your concerns. I'll be on here tonight (gotta get our internet fix in while we can!), but thinking we probably won't have power come tomorrow morning. And my fellow Floridians, stay safe!!

Edited by put me on a ship

Based on the latest storm track, the eye of the storm will make landfall tonight, somewhere north of Miami - perhaps somewhere near Melborne, east of Orlando (that's further inland) ... very close to Cocoa Beach, a popular stop for those docking/visiting PC :eek:

It's still a Cat 4 storm with winds in excess of 125 mph, storm is mostly still in the Bahamas, 100+ miles to the southeast of PC but heading for the U.S. mainland.

Nassau's harbor webcam has gone offline and even their weather forecast station staff at the Nassau airport had to evacuate earlier this morning, as the area continue to take the pounding from the hurricane ... power (utilities) had been shut down orderly overnight and there are massive flooding along with the wind & rain. That's the closest non-US port that shorter cruises from the FL area often sail to - and, it won't be happening this weekend, 95% sure of that, given the live updates I am reading.

Even if the storm managed to miss PC area and/or leave the area by tomorrow evening or night, it will likely be just usable and/or reopen but restricted to emergency use and for residents returning home to do their damage assessments, etc. as the cleanup get underway ... restoring power & down lines, cutting away broken tree branches & clearing debris.

Assuming that cruise ships will be allowed back into the port (sometime on Saturday ??) and tractor trailers are staged and ready to fully restock the ship's supplies, they might just sail out of PC doing donuts in rough seas ... with no place to go - and, Matthew is still forecasted to loop around again to, possibly, make a 2nd. landfall next mid-week in Florida as a tropical storm.

We live in Melbourne :eek:. I've heard landfall from north of Palm Beach, or maybe Melbourne, or maybe staying just off shore. This is one unpredictable storm!!

Hopefully you will be able to keep your fiends on here posted on conditions in your area.

I will as long as I can. Right now, we've had some outer bands come through...no big deal on those, no serious rain or wind yet. It's drizzling at the moment. It looks like it's going to go downhill rapidly late tonight, and tomorrow morning will be the worst of it. By this time tomorrow, conditions should be improving.

No one is going to be cruising, are you even watching the news? FL is under a forced evac stations are shut down, even up the coast SC is shutting gas stations down at 12:30 today and starting evacuations. This is not a simple storm, this is a killer storm. The Bahamas are going through the worst of it right now. How can you even consider taking a cruise to anywhere in that area right now.

Take the refund when it's offered and it will be offered because you are not going anywhere and make alternate plans.

To those in the Bahamas and the path of the storm please stay safe and know many of us are thinking of you and hoping for the best for you and your families. ((HUGS))

Well, its not offered yet if it ever is I will most likely take it but Im not about to lose that much money. I know people will be losing their homes and possibly lives and I feel for them. I agree with the issue they cancel it I dont see how its going to be an easy thing to do getting access to the port only to go on a ship and be stuck in your cabin due to high seas

I see that both Disney and RCCL have fully canceled several sailings out of Port Canaveral for Oct. 8. I am booked on Carnival Magic for Oct. 8. Carnival's last update says it is going to be very bad, but really gave no decision. The update said they would announce a decision at 6 pm tomorrow. I think it gives false hope. I am calling and canceling because i am not putting my life on the line nor am i going to get out there and be stupid and endanger our emergency workers. Just wish Carnival would man up a bit and make some decisions and not just constantly pushing off a decision.

I have a few relatives in FL but they all live along the west coast closer to Tampa area. They decided to stay but they should be fine where they are I think. For those of you along the East coast please do your best to stay safe. I know there's not much you can do at this point but hunker down and hope for the best.

I don't know how long you will have internet or when you will get it back if it goes out but check in as soon as you can. There will be a whole lot of us checking to see if you made it through ok. Know you are not alone, you have a big CC family behind you ;)

Praying for all the east coast, especially Florida, the Bahamas and all the people in the area. I hope that everyone is in a safe place now and that all property has minimal damage. God be with you all during this storm and in the aftermath.

Carnival needs to cancel the cruise which they should have done days ago. They have brought more people into a dangerous area due to their incompetence. People who are here or trying to get here need to make other arrangements. Step up Carnival!

Carnival needs to cancel the cruise which they should have done days ago. They have brought more people into a dangerous area due to their incompetence. People who are here or trying to get here need to make other arrangements. Step up Carnival!

I agree except for the incompetence part they are a business they stand to lose millions

Edited by Angus1963

There are zero flights into FLL tomorrow through Southwest. (Ours got canceled this afternoon) With the ports being closed for an undetermined amount of time, there's no sense in trying to book a second flight that will probably end up canceled as well.

Carnival obvs won't give us a refund on the cruise and told us to wait until early Saturday to see if they cancel because they very well may do it. (as they've already done with one of their Friday sailings from PC) If we cancel then we lose out on all the money, but if they cancel we get a full refund.

But I really wish they'd make a decision. It's going to be crazy trying to get all the ships back into port and turning them around in a timely fashion... considering the amount of damage that may happen at the ports. Plus, getting diesel and supplies for the new sailings... Just cancel them. :/

Posted at 6PM;

HURRICANE MATTHEW

HURRICANE MATTHEW

Weather Update – 10/06/16 – 6:00 PM (EST)

We continue to closely monitor the storm system and projected path of Hurricane Matthew and Tropical Storm Nicole which has now developed in the Atlantic.

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure

Based on the latest forecast track and no discernible shift in the storm’s path towards the central east coast of Florida as we had hoped, it is anticipated that the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed and port officials have had the time to complete their assessment and make a determination on when the port is safe to re-open.

Given the above, unfortunately, we will be forced to cancel Carnival Victory’s cruise that we had hoped to operate tomorrow. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks. We will also provide a 25 percent discount off a future two or three day cruise.

Carnival Sensation – 10/6/16 departure

The Greater Miami area will be experiencing the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew late Thursday evening and in the early morning hours of Friday. Once conditions become safe on Friday, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and, assuming the port reopens on Friday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening. We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide you an update after 10:30 AM tomorrow. If PortMiami re-opens on Friday, we will operate a three-day cruise, visiting Nassau on Saturday pending a post-storm assessment of the port.

Guests who opt to sail on the shortened voyage will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as pre-purchased shore excursions for Key West and Cozumel. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks Also, gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

As previously indicated, should guests scheduled on this voyage wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions for Key West and Cozumel and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

Carnival Fantasy – 10/7/16 departure

The Greater Miami area will be experiencing the strongest effects of Hurricane Matthew late Thursday evening and in the early morning hours of Friday. Once conditions become safe on Friday, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination on when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and, assuming the port reopens on Friday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening. We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide you with an update after 10:30 AM tomorrow.

Given the uncertainty Hurricane Matthew has caused, should guests wish to cancel, they may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL. Guests will receive a full refund as well as any pre-paid gratuities, Carnival shore excursions and any FunShop purchases. Refunds will be applied to the original form of payment within three weeks.

If PortMiami reopens on Friday, we will operate the scheduled itinerary with an overnight call in Nassau, pending a post-storm assessment of the port.

Carnival Ecstasy – 10/8/16 departure

The Port of Charleston will likely be closed on Saturday and, as a result, Carnival Ecstasy is not expected to arrive until Sunday. If the port re-opens on Sunday, we will operate a six-day cruise departing Sunday. Once we have a better understanding of the storm’s path, we will confirm the ports of call on our itinerary. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

Carnival Elation – 10/8/16 departure

The Port of Jacksonville is presently closed to all marine traffic. Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Duval County area, including the Port of Jacksonville, will be bearing the impact of a category 4 storm on Friday evening and early Saturday morning. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. We will remain in close contact with them regarding their plans to reopen once the storm has passed and will provide you an update as soon as we have more definitive information.

Carnival Glory - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Glory cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Carnival Splendor – 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Splendor cruise departing Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes become necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Sunshine - 10/8/16 departure

The Carnival Sunshine cruise departing on Oct. 8 remains as scheduled. At this time, there are no changes to the ship’s itinerary. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Carnival Conquest - 10/9/16 departure

The Carnival Conquest cruise departing on Oct. 9 remains as scheduled at this time. Should any changes becomes necessary, we will provide an update accordingly

Carnival Pride – 10/9/16

Due to the current forecast track of Hurricane Matthew, it is not safe for us to navigate south. Therefore, in order to steer clear of the storm’s path and ensure our guests’ comfort and safety, we will now operate a seven-day cruise with calls in Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Pre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport, as well as any difference in government fees and taxes, will be automatically refunded to guest’s Sail & Sign accounts. Information about shore excursions in Saint John and Halifax will be available once guests are on board. Those guests who opt to sail on the modified itinerary will receive a 100.00 USD per person credit to their onboard Sail & Sign accounts. Additionally, guests will receive a 25 percent future cruise discount off a two to seven-day voyage.

Guests scheduled on this voyage who wish to cancel may do so and receive a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

We apologize for the tremendous inconvenience the storm is causing and thank you for your understanding.

Additionally, to stay up to date on any changes that may affect your sailing, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Fantasy 10/7 CCL2

Carnival Magic 10/8 CCL3

Carnival Sensation 10/6 CCL4

Carnival Pride 10/9 CCL5

Carnival Valor 10/8 CCL6

Carnival Victory 10/6 CCL8

Carnival Elation 10/8 CCL9

Carnival Glory 10/8 CCL10

Carnival Splendor 10/8 CCL11

Carnival Conquest 10/9 CCL12