New to Princess - Need Your Input!

pudy68

Hello cruisers!

I am trying to book my first Princess cruise on the Sapphire to the Mexican Riviera/February 2006. My previous cruises have been on RCCL (AOS & MOS), and I've only used the mini-suites aft (7692 on both ships). I'm trying to compare the mini-suites on the Sapphire. Has anyone been in both to make this comparison?

Also, when I searched through the floor plans, it looks like mini-suites only appear on the 7th floor (Emerald, I think). Is this accurate? From the floor plan, it looks like there are 2 mini-suites, on on each end, that have a bigger balcony. Are these exposed, and how about the other mini-suites along the sides (covered or exposed balconies?)

How's the view from aft rooms (obstructed at all?)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!:D

I have just returned from staying in a mini-suite on the Coral and I can tell you that they are far less superior to the JS on the AOS, MOS, VOS (Vision) and SOS(Serenade). The Princess minis are more in line with the Category D (a little larger) on RCCL. Narrow cabins, No large bath and no walk in closet.

I can't answer your balcony question, however the balcony we had on Princess was a pretty good size, but the chairs were plastic - no lounges - and they had a huge table that took up much of the room (it was nice for breakfast.)

Here is a link to some photo's I posted of our mini-suite.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=231557

You can also look here:

http://cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Princess/sapphireprincess.htm

Thanks for your thoughts. After looking at the photos, I agree that the room seems very narrow. I don't want a grumpy DH bumping into me all week, so I am wondering if the aft E728/E731 would be a little bigger, or should we go up to a vista room. Do you know anything about VS rooms?

I don't know about the aft rooms being larger. Perhaps someone else knows.

We walked through a VS cabin on the last day and they were very nice...better than a JS on RCCL, but more costly. If you can swing it, I'd go for it! The stateroom was very roomy, the balcony had cushioned chairs and lounges...quite large, and the bath was to die for! The bath had two entrances, with a separate toilet area, a large tub and glassed shower.

If we ever see a deal on a VS, we might be tempted to cruise with princess again.

I just booked the E728 as there were slim pickins' when my TA got back to me. I am wait-listed for a vista, but she didn't have pricing because there's no current availability. I have no idea how much more to expect, should a room become available. But based on your description, I am praying that one comes up, and cheaply too!

So, we are in for the Sapphire Princess/Feb.4-11. I am feeling the excitement now!

I noticed that when I was looking at the floor plans on line, the E728 appears smaller than the one on the opposite side of the ship, E731. Am I imagining things, or is it an inaccurate diagram?

You are correct that the last two minisuites on both Emerald and Dolphin (decks 8 and 9) have larger balconies. The Emerald deck balconies are covered, but it can still be quite windy. The cabins themselves are exactly the same as the rest of the minisuites. The two minis with large balconies on Dolphin are arranged to be handicap accessible and I think have just a large roll-in shower. They aren't listed as HA because the doors are too narrow.

I suspect you might be happier with a VS, which is in the full suite category. The difference in cost can be quite substantial compared to a minisuite. Princess does not do pier upgrades, so if you really want one you'll have to book it. I can attest that they are quite nice and the balconies are well-protected.

Minisuites are located both on the Dolphin and Emerald decks of the Sapphire Princess, but the minisuites on the Dolphin deck are all uncovered and the minisuites on the Emerald deck are all covered.

The Coral Princess is a different type of class than the Sapphire Princess and the minisuites are larger on the Sapphire Princess than on the Coral Princess. So the pictures that you saw above for the Coral minsuites are not really representative of what the Sapphire minisuites look like.

I've been in the JS on the Voyager of the Seas, although not an aft, and thought the room was comparable to the minsuite rooms on the Grand class on Princess.

The Coral Princess is a different type of class than the Sapphire Princess and the minisuites are larger on the Sapphire Princess than on the Coral Princess. So the pictures that you saw above for the Coral minsuites are not really representative of what the Sapphire minisuites look like.

That's news to me! I knew the Coral and Sapphire were different ships, but thought the mini's were the same size. The Princess site shows the same photo for both, but does list the Sapphire as having 50 square feet more. Do you know where that space is going? Do you have any photo's?

pudy - The VS was about $2000 more pp. :eek: There was no in-between cabin to book into. I will be real interested to find out if the mini's on the Grand class are larger, because we may change our minds and cruise a GC...possibly the Carribean Princess.

$2000 MORE PER PERSON? YIKES!

I can think of better things to do with the additional 4,000 bucks.

I am thinking that since they use the same diagram for both classes of ship, the extra sq ftg must be generally applied to the walking areas, like at the foot of the bed. I hope so, at least.

That was for our cruise last month. We booked two mini's about 4-6 months out and then two VS came up at almost $2000 more than our AC. I tried to check on price difference just now and cannot find any to compare for you. For next March, we can get the PS for just a little over $1000 pp difference. I think the VS go quickly and when those two came up, they had a price attached to them. ;) Good luck!

The minisuites on the Sapphire Princess are 354 sq ft including a balcony size of approximately 9' by 9'. The minisuites on the Coral Princess are 302 sq ft including a balcony of approximately 9' by 7'. So some of the extra room is for the balcony and the rest goes into the room size. I think from just looking at the rooms, it appears that the Sapphire Princess rooms are not as narrow as the Coral Princess rooms.

The minisuites on the Caribbean Princess are approximately 323 sq ft (with some minisuites being slightly larger) and this includes a balcony of approximtely 9' by 7'. So the additional space (that is, the amount larger than the Coral Princess) goes into the room size. We didn't think the minisuites on the Caribbean Princess were narrow, but were instead nice sized and easy to get around in.

Iamtheseas, if you are interested in cruising the Caribbean Princess, we have a Cruise Critic group cruise for the August 19, 2006 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. In addition to great group rates, there are group amenities including shipboard credit and a photo voucher. We will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle too. However, there is no requirement that you participate in any group activities--you can do as much or as little as you want. Some people just book for the great pricing and amenities. There is no group dining--you eat when you want. But there will be an opportunity to cruise with some great folks and even to share share excursions, if you desire.

For some great photos of the Caribbean Princess, including some photos of the minisuite rooms, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288 and go to the threads with the photos. There are also some terrific 360 degree tours that include staterooms.

So it would be great if you could join us!! For more information, click on the links in the banner below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Thanks for the offer, however we are looking for a date in March for spring break. The CP does look nice from all your photo's. The mini looks to be the same width as the one we had on the Coral...even narrower with the dressing table at an angle. If we could just snag a VS at a decent price, that would be the ticket!:D

Good luck on finding a good deal on a suite during spring break time. :D

The photos of the Caribbean Princess might be a little misleading if the room looks narrow to you. The minisuites are 20 sq ft bigger on the Caribbean Princess than on the Coral Princess and I don't think the rooms are longer. And the balconies are the same size. So I do think the size goes to the width of the rooms. But perhaps someone who has been on both in minisuites can tell you for certain. We did think that the Caribbean Princess minisuites had plenty of room to walk around in--now those balcony rooms are narrow, IMHO.

Pudy:

Good choice of cabin! We've got the same (E-728) the next week and had done substantial research on it. Seems these two are highly sought after due to the fact that they are very private and have exceptionally large balconies. As for the room itself, it will be the same as a regular mini-suite. I'm surprised that it was available at this late date though.

We had an aft mini on the Sun a couple of years ago - I realize no comparison as those are very similar to the Vista's I'm told - found the privacy in the aft area was just great.

Have a great trip and look after "our" room, eh? LOL!

Rob

I'll do what I can, Rob!:D

Maybe our room opened up due to a cancellation, and I happened to call at the right moment. I guess no one was wait-listed for it. Oh well - good for us! When I first starting looking into the ship/cruise, I thought that that room was the one I wanted, but I didn't even ask for it by room number. Once I called my TA, I asked her what mini-s were available, and she said E728, D735, D736. The dolphins would be $60 extra simply for being higher up, but they also didn't have the bigger balconies, so I opted to book E728. Isn't it always a treat when things work out nicely?;)

Hey Rob,

As I was answering you, I got an update to my roll call thread and here's the answer to my capturing this room so late:

chuibaca replied:

How Funny?

We originally had this room and decided to change to another floor to be closer to some family members. I hear many good things about E728. enjoy!

Mystery solved!:)

The photos of the Caribbean Princess might be a little misleading if the room looks narrow to you. The minisuites are 20 sq ft bigger on the Caribbean Princess than on the Coral Princess and I don't think the rooms are longer. And the balconies are the same size. So I do think the size goes to the width of the rooms. But perhaps someone who has been on both in minisuites can tell you for certain. We did think that the Caribbean Princess minisuites had plenty of room to walk around in--now those balcony rooms are narrow, IMHO.

What about the Star? Have you seen this video?

http://www.houseofpancake.com/comments.php?blogid=88 - Part 2

It shows the couple entering their mini suite and it looks just like the one we had when you first enter. Very narrow.

Pudy:

From what I understand, you scored a great deal! We had originally booked AD cabins along with friends of ours but she noticed one evening that the two AE's - 728 & 731 had dropped from over $2000/per to less than the Ad's so we were lucky enough to get a switch right away. Then we noticed that prices had dropped to attract guarantees which could be upgraded directly to AD's or better so the price got even better.

Supposed to be very private and convenient to the Aloha pool as well as the action below. Can't wait for February!

Now if luck continues to run in threes......

Rob

Rob,

I sure would love to see the prices drop again. Our roll call thread is pretty bare, so maybe we have a lot of vacancies that will help lower the prices. I booked this cruise as part of a Christian conference, so I don't have a straight room rate to watch for when it gets lower, but I mentioned it to the TA and she told me she'd watch for me. I hope she does, and we hit paydirt!

Now if only the other VS-PS-PH suites open up...it'll take a small miracle to get the price low enough for me, but I will still wait & hope for the best.

Do you think the space at the foot of the bed will be kind of narrow? I haven't seen any exact pics, have you?

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

I too am new to Princess. I am sailing on the Island Princess in April 07. First, I did do the search and have read lots of things, but need the answer to my first question, and then to another one that reading the boards brought up!

I have a mini-suite booked for myself, husband and daughter. On our previous Disney cruises, there was a curtain divider between the queen bed area and the sleeper sofa area. This afforded us some privacy. But in the pictures I have seen of the mini-suites, it does not appear that there is a curtain or anything else to divide the room up. Am I blind or ????

On this thread, I read that Princess does not do upgrades at the port. Is this correct? Again, only experience is DCL, and I had usually done pretty well by booking what I could live with and then seeing if I could upgrade at the port for a better price than available by pre-booking. If Princess does not offer upgrades at the port, could someone explain why?

Thanks for your help!!

These boards are great!!!

Laura

Archived