Gem October 1st Canada cruise

GMCOLT

My wife aND I cruised the Gem on October 1st.

This was our 1st cruise north. We have been on the Gem and Breakaway many times.

Captain Roger Gustavsen was in command.

The Gem,s new look was nice throughout the public areas. The changes to Bliss were fantastic making for more seating and a brighter look. The same holds true for the Spinnaker lounge.

The crew was always friendly and greeting us. I found guest services to be helpful with a couple issues.

We enjoyed seeing the Captain sing and play the guitar at the Latitudes party.

Ports were Halifax, St John, Port land and Newport. The weather was really nice at all ports. Plenty of choices for activities, tours and walking around on your own. We came with the mind set of this being a totally different cruise compared to going to the Caribbean. Highlights included Peggys Cove, Titanic museum and Cemetary, whale watching, and sailing excursions in Newport.

The UDP worked well, no hidden charges. Enjoyed choices, service, new decor and food quality at Bistro, Caney and La Cuitina.

The MDRS and Garden Buffet offered variety, good service as well.

As Platinum members, they delivered all that is offered at this tier.

In closing, great cruise, great ship and hard working crew.

I was also on this cruise...and OP doesn't mind I will add on ;) my thoughts and comments on a few items recently brought up here by other NCL cruisers ...

Improvements were very good..and in fact ongoing...they were laying carpet in some areas on the cruise! (only problem with this...was the strong glue odor for a few hours after installation)

Entire crew was fantastic ..as usual....:D

Food and service in MDR and buffet was quite good...

A nice surprise..last night of cruise..prime rib was offered as a special in Grand Pacific..(with no surcharge!)

UBP...worked very well...no problems...

Just one correction re: platinum benefits...Behind scenes tour..was not offered due to ongoing maintainance.

For those interested...at our M&G we did find out..ship pins are being redone...and WILL be offered again at a later date.

I was told that Lattitudes program/tiers/benefits ARE being redone..and members should be "very pleased" (we will see).

My wife aND I cruised the Gem on October 1st.

This was our 1st cruise north. We have been on the Gem and Breakaway many times.

Captain Roger Gustavsen was in command.

The Gem,s new look was nice throughout the public areas. The changes to Bliss were fantastic making for more seating and a brighter look. The same holds true for the Spinnaker lounge.

The crew was always friendly and greeting us. I found guest services to be helpful with a couple issues.

We enjoyed seeing the Captain sing and play the guitar at the Latitudes party.

Ports were Halifax, St John, Port land and Newport. The weather was really nice at all ports. Plenty of choices for activities, tours and walking around on your own. We came with the mind set of this being a totally different cruise compared to going to the Caribbean. Highlights included Peggys Cove, Titanic museum and Cemetary, whale watching, and sailing excursions in Newport.

The UDP worked well, no hidden charges. Enjoyed choices, service, new decor and food quality at Bistro, Caney and La Cuitina.

The MDRS and Garden Buffet offered variety, good service as well.

As Platinum members, they delivered all that is offered at this tier.

In closing, great cruise, great ship and hard working crew.

I keep looking at the Canada cruises, but end up booking the beaches. Did you fins that you liked it as much as a Caribbean cruise?

Just thought of something else I can answer that was recently posted here

Correct...no more smoked salmon/ pieces on buffet. They have substituted salmon/cream cheese "mousse" ...sometimes alone in a small ramekin..sometimes atop cucumber slice.. all the usual toppings were also available.

I am a smoked salmon lover...and found it quite acceptable..esp. since often the salmon pieces on past cruises were sometimes dry or discolored from sitting out.. ...

Last year we rented cars at both Halifax and Saint John and it was so easy. In Halifax the Thrifty car rental is just across the street from the pier in a hotel. In Saint John, you called Enterprise car rental and they picked you up at the pier and took you back when you were done. The only downside was the leaves hadn't changed all that much in September but we wanted good weather, which we got.