Explorer of the Seas Cruise Compasses: 8 Day Pacific Coastal: Sept. 30 - Oct. 8, 2016

Jasperdo

My wife and I just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. It was an 8 day Pacific Coastal cruise to Santa Barbara, California; San Francisco, California; Astoria, Oregon; and Victoria, British Columbia. I realize that this was a unique one off cruise and that the Explorer is now headed to Australia. So the Cruise Compass won't be particularly useful for future sailings. But I did scan them in case anyone is interested. You'll find the link below in my signature.

Edited by Jasperdo

• 3 months later...

Thank you, thank you. We are taking our first cruise with Royal Caribbean in June to Alaska. We didn't find many recent reviews with pictures on the Explorer of the Seas. Your pictures were helpful and she looks like a beautiful ship.

Thanks for posting the photos. Although I will be sailing the Alaska itinerary this fall your pics answered all my questions about Explorer. You even caught the television station list! :)

Thank you, thank you. We are taking our first cruise with Royal Caribbean in June to Alaska. We didn't find many recent reviews with pictures on the Explorer of the Seas. Your pictures were helpful and she looks like a beautiful ship.

You're welcome. I'm glad you both found the photos of the Explorer useful. It's a beautiful ship. Alaska is a wonderful itinerary.

My wife and I just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. It was an 8 day Pacific Coastal cruise to Santa Barbara, California; San Francisco, California; Astoria, Oregon; and Victoria, British Columbia. I realize that this was a unique one off cruise and that the Explorer is now headed to Australia. So the Cruise Compass won't be particularly useful for future sailings. But I did scan them in case anyone is interested. You'll find the link below in my signature.

Thank you! I will be on the Alaska sailing from Seattle, as well, BUT the Pacific Coastal is on my wish list for the following year. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Thank you! I will be on the Alaska sailing from Seattle, as well, BUT the Pacific Coastal is on my wish list for the following year. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
You're welcome. The Pacific Coastal was a fun getaway for us. We live on the West Coast, and have been to all the Ports many times. This cruise was mostly about enjoying the ship.

Thanks for posting - this is great information. I was wondering when you stopped in Victoria did you have to go through Canadian Customs and fill out the Canadian customs declaration card?
There were no Customs formalities when we stopped in Victoria. We did have to walk through the terminal building to exit, and there was a bored looking customs agent kind of watching everyone leave. But there were no forms to fill out, no questions to answer. Here's a photo I took on another cruise of the terminal building. After you left the ship, you went into the building where the red awning is. And you exited through a door on the right side (where the person with the yellow shirt is). Very simple.

6956757483_3dbe27eb16_z.jpg

Thank you for posting these--what shore excursions did you do in San Fran, Astoria and Victoria. Looking at going at the same time of year you did- Any you'd recommend or not suggest?
We didn't do shore excursions in any Port on this cruise. We've been to all of them numerous times before on land vacations. In San Francisco we just used the MUNI transit system to get around town. There is a streetcar line that runs along the Embarcadero. We took that and the light rail out to the beach for awhile, then took them back to Fisherman's Wharf and went to San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park.

In Astoria, my wife stayed on the ship and I walked along the Riverwalk Trail from the ship into downtown. It's a nice, level trail. Similar thing in Victoria. I just took a leisurely walk along Dallas Road to Holland Point Park. Then I wandered around Beacon Hill Park. After that I walked through the James Bay neighborhood over to Fisherman's Wharf. Then back to the ship.

Our cruise also went to Santa Barbara. We just took the trolley into town for a bit, and were back on the ship for lunch. But, as I said, we're very familiar with all these Ports, especially Astoria and Victoria. We live in Washington State, and those are two of our favorite destinations. We visit them by car quite often.