San Francisco: New, Best, Different?!!?

From Yahoo News earlier this month, they had this headline: 23 of the best places to travel to around the world in 2023 with these highlights:San Francisco just got its own equivalent of NYC's High Line.   In 2023, the city will mark a few milestones and celebrations that will be especially good reasons to plan a visit.  Key city landmarks will celebrate anniversaries, including the San Francisco Opera at 100 years, and the Ferry Building, which will mark 125 years. Visitors can also expect special programming and events throughout the year, such as the opera's grand finale concert and centennial anniversary dinner.   Presidio Tunnel Tops recently opened, comprising 14 acres of new national parkland. Designed by the same firm behind NYC's High Line, I think it's an ideal spot to take in views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Full story at:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/23-best-places-travel-around-110100429.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Lots in the news these days about real estate, safety and other challenges for San Francisco.  From those living there and/or visiting recently, any updates and insights to share?

From MSN News and an Internet website in the last week, they had this headline: San Francisco: The food capital of the West Coast with these highlights: “Many cities throughout the United States are central to any list of foodie cities. When it comes to traveling to the West Coast, San Francisco is one locale that can’t be avoided. Multiple outlets recognize San Francisco as one of the top food cities in the world, and it deserves to be recognized as the food capital of the West Coast.  Everything from American, Honduran, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and much more are available in San Francisco.”

Added details at: 

https://localpov.com/posts/san-francisco-the-food-capital-of-the-west-coast?utm_source=RSS

Full MSN story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/san-francisco-the-food-capital-of-the-west-coast/ar-AA1dpN5e

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• 2 months later...

From the Wall Street Journal last night, they had this headline: San Francisco Lives, Despite Reports to the Contrary: A Traveler’s Guide" with this sub-headline:  "To find the soul of ‘old’ San Francisco, seek out its less-visible, quirkier corners—from a collection of turn-of-the-century penny arcade games to a bar that evokes the 1930s.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “I had seen the worst of the city: its lifeless techno-utopian efficiency, the wrenchingly visible homelessness, the always-on-edge aura of insecurity in the face of rising crime. Relentless news coverage of San Francisco’s economic and social woes only served to confirm that impression. But when I returned, I saw a much livelier San Francisco. It just required focusing less on the present or the future, and a little more on the past.”

Here is more, including at two specific locations:  "The most affecting parts of San Francisco, I found, are its monuments to the city’s dreamers and misfits, glimpses of eras when Californians had put their faith in the promise of free expression, then-novel technology and American industry. I spent one afternoon at the Coit Tower, a Pacific-facing, 210-foot, art deco monument to volunteer firefighters who perished in the city’s five major blazes. The equally impressive Palace of Fine Arts—originally built in 1915 for a world’s fair—sprawls over an artificial lagoon. Couples posed for wedding photos and families picnicked.  All over San Francisco, I found myself drawn to places that reflected the optimism of the past, so at odds with the apparent dereliction of downtown and the pessimism of those commenting from afar."

Interesting background and details from WSJ writer Tara Isabella Burton.  Lots of debate and questions for San Francisco and where it is headed for the future.  This offers some thoughtful questions and perspectives based on its past history.  

Full story and visuals at:

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/san-francisco-lives-despite-reports-to-the-contrary-a-travelers-guide-a5054a14?mod=wknd_pos1

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1