NCL.com now showing Canadian pricing

ilovetotravel1977

I'm on NCL.com doing a mock booking and it automatically took me to a page in Canadian dollars! Is that something new NCL is doing? Like Royal Caribbean's website?

Edited to add: Looks like the cruise fare is almost at par with the US dollar?

Taxes and Promos are regular exchange...

April 23 - GA - IF inside $829 US / $849 CDN

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

I'm on NCL.com doing a mock booking and it automatically took me to a page in Canadian dollars! Is that something new NCL is doing? Like Royal Caribbean's website?

I booked a cruise with them earlier this year everything was in Canadian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you able to see both currencies at the same time, or did you find the USD rate on another site?

In the past few weeks NCL has started reinforcing their website redirection based on your location. Makes it harder for people to compare prices across different markets and book offers that are meant for residents of other countries.

Are you able to see both currencies at the same time, or did you find the USD rate on another site?

In the past few weeks NCL has started reinforcing their website redirection based on your location. Makes it harder for people to compare prices across different markets and book offers that are meant for residents of other countries.

I knew the price in US as I have been tracking it. And, I use another website that tracks all cruise fares.

I dont like the price in Canadian vs US for the reason you mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew the price in US as I have been tracking it. And, I use another website that tracks all cruise fares.

I dont like the price in Canadian vs US for the reason you mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!

I booked my cruise in U.S dollars and paid the deposit in U.S dollars. Now I can only see the Canadian pricing so I have no idea if the price has dropped.

I looked to see if I could change my country choice but have not been successful.

I couldn't get the link to work either but today when I go to the NCL site the prices come up in Canadian dollars which it never did before. I have an Alaskan cruise booked for next May and check prices daily. I booked my cruise through Costco Travel Canada and the Canadian prices NCL now show are the same as Costco's site. We have an ocean view picture window room booked. Funny thing is when I check NCL site today for the same type room there are only OD rooms available. It allows me to select this and pick my perks but when it goes to picking the room it comes up guarantee cabin. I thought if you got a guarantee cabin you couldn't pick the perks.

Edited to add: Looks like the cruise fare is almost at par with the US dollar?

Taxes and Promos are regular exchange...

Tried to do a mock booking for a European cruise in Oct 17 this morning on the NCL web site and all prices were effectively in CDN.

Although it indicates at PAR, I tried a mock booking on a TA web site for same sailing and this is what I found out:

TA site $2199 USD for Balcony, $189pp Taxes

NCL $2876 CAD for Balcony, $243.35 pp Taxes

This is not at PAR as the exchange rate is 1.307

We should not take it for granted that the advertised CDN rate is really at PAR.

Tried to do a mock booking for a European cruise in Oct 17 this morning on the NCL web site and all prices were effectively in CDN.

Although it indicates at PAR, I tried a mock booking on a TA web site for same sailing and this is what I found out:

TA site $2199 USD for Balcony, $189pp Taxes

NCL $2876 CAD for Balcony, $243.35 pp Taxes

This is not at PAR as the exchange rate is 1.307

We should not take it for granted that the advertised CDN rate is really at PAR.

No, I don't think every fare will be at par, I'm just saying the one I'm looking at is pretty darn close to at par. But just the fare. Taxes and Promo fee is the regular exchange rate.

$849 plus everything else on top of that (DSC, Taxes, UBP promo, Hotel, OBC etc) is too high for my cruise fare budget, so I'll take my chances and wait to book much closer to the month of sailing.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

I thought if you got a guarantee cabin you couldn't pick the perks.
That's not what the terms of the promo say. You get the perks with all categories other than IX/OX/BX/MX. Since you were looking at OD, that category comes with perks, even if they make you book it as a GTY.

No, I don't think every fare will be at par, I'm just saying the one I'm looking at is pretty darn close to at par. But just the fare. Taxes and Promo fee is the regular exchange rate.

$849 plus everything else on top of that (DSC, Taxes, UBP promo, Hotel, OBC etc) is too high for my cruise fare budget, so I'll take my chances and wait to book much closer to the month of sailing.

I hear you. Good luck with your booking and I hope that you will find a deal that fits your budget.

You can still find the USD prices on third-party sites, and book with them if you want.

If you prefer NCL direct, check the prices somewhere also, then call the NCL reservations line or your PCC. They currently allow you to book in USD with the US promos/conditions even if you don't have a US address. This could change, though, if they decide to further tighten up their "borders", as they have done with the website.

I'M very happy with this change. :) I don't need to call and wait anymore to get actual canadian prices and i can book by myself. I hate to call to do that because i'm french speaking and having hard time to do it in english.

I can also compare prices between cruises or cabins more easily without doing conversion.

I'M very happy with this change. :) I don't need to call and wait anymore to get actual canadian prices and i can book by myself. I hate to call to do that because i'm french speaking and having hard time to do it in english.

I can also compare prices between cruises or cabins more easily without doing conversion.

The exchange rate they're now showing on the site is way worse than if you were to call in to book in CAD or if you were to just pay in USD.

The exchange rate they're now showing on the site is way worse than if you were to call in to book in CAD or if you were to just pay in USD.

This!

I hate having it already in Canadian. I like seeing everything in US dollars, that way I know what I'm actually paying is equal to everyone else.

Did you notice that they translated the whole site into French also? http://www.ncl.com/ca/fr

The translations are sometimes quite funny, but I have to recognize the amount of effort they put into it.

Where do they show the exchange rate? The whole point is that the fares for Canadians are no longer just direct conversions of the USD fares. Evidently they want to start treating Canadians as a separate market, with prices (and promotions) determined independently of whatever Americans are being offered. Edited by hawkeyetlse

Another example, I was also tracking a Jade cruise April 23 to W. Caribbean. That price was $499 US. It is now $653 CDN.

When I plug the numbers into the RBC Exchange Calculator:

$499 US = $633 CDN (It is showing $653 CDN)

When I do it in reverse:

$653 CDN = $484 US (not $499)

They are not using the same exchange rate as the bank.

Did you notice that they translated the whole site into French also? http://www.ncl.com/ca/fr

The translations are sometimes quite funny, but I have to recognize the amount of effort they put into it.

Where do they show the exchange rate? The whole point is that the fares for Canadians are no longer just direct conversions of the USD fares. Evidently they want to start treating Canadians as a separate market, with prices (and promotions) determined independently of whatever Americans are being offered.

I look at the cruises I've got saved, or I look at the cruises from an American IP and then I look at the exact same cruise/cabin on the CAD pricing site and it's just way off.

One of the cruises has an inside for 1049 USD and it's 1633 CAD.

That's a 1.55 exchange rate, I think I can do better than that....

Edited by Prinz

What I mean is that they are not actually applying an exchange rate. Or if you prefer, they are applying a different rate for every cruise/category, but that amounts to the same thing: You can't predict the CAD price based on the USD price. And it's not always going to be better in USD, as ilovetotravel1977's last example shows (although they need to stop using the RBC site to look up exchange rates… :))

I wonder if we just call NCL to make our booking if they will quote us in US dollars instead of Canadian?

That's what they have done so far unless you specifically asked for the price in CAD.

What I mean is that they are not actually applying an exchange rate. Or if you prefer, they are applying a different rate for every cruise/category, but that amounts to the same thing: You can't predict the CAD price based on the USD price. And it's not always going to be better in USD, as ilovetotravel1977's last example shows (although they need to stop using the RBC site to look up exchange rates… :))

Yes, I see what you mean, because it is definitely different depending on which cruise it is.

But there are two problems with that:

1: From the ones I've checked the exchange rate is always worse than if I were to just book in USD and pay the credit card conversion fee.

2: Prior to this I knew exactly what rate I would get, either I'd get the bank/CC exchange rate if I booked in USD. Or I would get locked in at whatever NCL's rate ( it was always better than market ) of the month was for the conversion if I called and asked the price in CAD. Both of those options would be the same for any trip and not vary.