celebrity ripoff!!!!!! Never Again

rt1092

I'm very disapointed at the way celebrity just ripped me off.

I booked this cruise last December while on a RCL cruise. We upgraded to a oceanview cabin, then to a veranda cabin. When they posted the bargain rates I thought the upgrade fairy had visited me because we had a concierge class room.

When I first booked this trip I had asked about adding a third person(my mother in law). Well they said it would not be a problem. Just pay the extra person fee+taxes and port charges. NO PROBLEM!!!!!!

Well my wifes mother was able to come so I called to have her added. NO PROBLEM!!!! JUST PAY THEM OVER $2000 MORE!!!!!!!!!

I was sure there was a mistake in thier addition. celebrity went thru it again no mistake, they were charging me top dollar for my wife and I just like I had never booked the cruise. This is OUTRAGEOUS. they didnt had to change the room it already had a sofa bed I checked and asked about that when I upgraded.

Well after much heated discussion about the problem. celebrity said that you cant add a third person to the guarantee classes. This was never mentioned when I was asking about it when I was upgrading.

The windup was they SOLD me a oceanview cabin for full price. A full thousand $1000 more than I was paying for a concierge class cabin.

Thats a ripoff as far as I'm concerned. As this is my retirement cruise and we plan at least 2 cruises a year from now on. We will never book on rci or celebrity again.

Carnival here we come

nstelatiocountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;11;10;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500n Repostioning cruise

So, this was never turned over to an agent?

This is a mistake. Since there was no better deal for you by booking direct you should have used an agent. Many of you think it is okay to buy direct but here is a case in point. Learn from rt1092

Reason 1..

We are out here trying to make a living and it is hard enough since we can't discount off the bottom line for our clients. Still, we find ways to compensate you. Take advantage of this.

Reason 2..

You would and should have been told since you didn't know that you can't have three in a guarantee. Why? Beacause not all cabins can accomodate three people. Therefore, you can't be given just any room which is what guarantee basically is.

Reason 3..

Power of an agents protection and clout of the agency when such issues arise.

Reason 4..

By buying direct the company keeps the commission usually paid to agents. They want to cut us out and you allow them to do so. They get more and still treat you badly and we are trying to survive. Do you see? Nobody wins. Please people, use an agent. You will be doing us all a favor. As long as people buy direct you are letting them keep this policy in force of no discounting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to give you a hard time but since you didn't know some of the ins and outs (ex: guarantee policy) you need agent protection..Think of it as insurance. We are in the business to take care of these things for you but you have to let us.

In closing I am sorry this happened and soured you on Celebrity. I'd be ticked off too.

So, this was never turned over to an agent?

This is a mistake. Since there was no better deal for you by booking direct you should have used an agent. Many of you think it is okay to buy direct but here is a case in point. Learn from rt1092

Reason 1..

We are out here trying to make a living and it is hard enough since we can't discount off the bottom line for our clients. Still, we find ways to compensate you. Take advantage of this.

Reason 2..

You would and should have been told since you didn't know that you can't have three in a guarantee. Why? Beacause not all cabins can accomodate three people. Therefore, you can't be given just any room which is what guarantee basically is.

Reason 3..

Power of an agents protection and clout of the agency when such issues arise.

Reason 4..

By buying direct the company keeps the commission usually paid to agents. They want to cut us out and you allow them to do so. They get more and still treat you badly and we are trying to survive. Do you see? Nobody wins. Please people, use an agent. You will be doing us all a favor. As long as people buy direct you are letting them keep this policy in force of no discounting.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to give you a hard time but since you didn't know some of the ins and outs (ex: guarantee policy) you need agent protection..Think of it as insurance. We are in the business to take care of these things for you but you have to let us.

In closing I am sorry this happened and soured you on Celebrity. I'd be ticked off too.

The only thing I want to say is that if you are aware of policy and you are not booking a long cruise a TA doesn't do anything for you that you can't do for yourself. I've booked a 5 nighter and EVERY TA I looked into only had perks for 7 nights and longer. I'm not knocking a TA. I've used them in the past, but why should a TA get a commission for something I can do for myself if they're not going to give me something in return?

Again, not knocking TA's but these boards make it sound like you can get tons of stuff from a TA and that is just not always the case.

The only thing I want to say is that if you are aware of policy and you are not booking a long cruise a TA doesn't do anything for you that you can't do for yourself. I've booked a 5 nighter and EVERY TA I looked into only had perks for 7 nights and longer. I'm not knocking a TA. I've used them in the past, but why should a TA get a commission for something I can do for myself if they're not going to give me something in return?

Again, not knocking TA's but these boards make it sound like you can get tons of stuff from a TA and that is just not always the case.

it is not about getting tons of stuff, it is the service a good agent can provide, and besides why do you care if a TA gets a commision, its not out of your pocket? You don't get a better cruise fare booking direct, and in fact sometimes the oposite is true.

Phil

I used a travel agent albeit Expedia.com It was a problem in itself celebrity didnt want to talk to me just them. After using them fo over 15 vacations I'll never use them again.They said they agree with me but couldnt do anything about it.

Thanks for your support Chick and Phil from all the agents.

And any agent will tell you this business is one of those that teaches us something new everyday. Policies change, ships are revamped, itineraries change, etc. Why just recently HAL started using the same software as Princess. Who knew this??? Anyone?

This created major issues for all of the poor reps/agents at HAL and therefore major delays and computer glitches to all agencies booking HAL cruises for customers for weeks afterwards. Now that the system has been up and running it is better but still there are issues and changes that effect us everyday in many aspects of the booking process. Example, if you forget to buy insurance through HAL when deposit is made they will not allow you to purchase it later. Why? Stupid new policy that costs them revenue. It was never like this before but it is now. They didn't tell us this and I had to learn by making the mistake but it is just one tiny example. You cannot know all that we learn everyday by booking a few cruises a year, I promise!!

Those of us that looooove cruising and love our jobs are on this board learning all we can from you posters and the news travel sites. This keeps us informed from all angles and makes the process of selling easier. I don't want to put a customer on a cruiseship that is severely in need of drydock. Those people will have a bad trip and not be back. I get all the info I can and use it to advantage. Repeat business is key.

As a TA let me just mention a couple of things: can we always get better deals, give you all kinds of perks or even solve your problems? No, we can't, we are not God or even close, what we can do, is support you and work for you; see that everything goes smoothly, yes, offer some perks, but we are not going to blab what we do to the world. I had a situation about 6 months ago that, had it been an online agency there would have been a mess, but because my client had booked through a large company we were able to settle the problem in no time. Sometimes our business alone can work wonders. Can we get you a refund when ports are canceled or changed? Nope: no one can. We do the research, we have the knowlegde to try and help when you aren't sure what is best for you, we have contacts and you can leave the problems to us. Using an agent normally does not cost you a penny, if it does it is very little. Not everyone does need an agent and some prefer to do all the work, but I can guarantee you we do plenty more than you might think. I am shocked that Celebrity told you just to pay the extra to add a third. On a guarantee cat they can not promise the cabins will hold more than 2 so when there is a 3rd or 4th a cabin assignment needs to be made. I don't blame you for being upset. Could a TA have helped you, maybe, no promises, but next time give a good agency a try. If you are not satisfied then go back to doing it "your Way" like Frankie did. NMnita

it is not about getting tons of stuff, it is the service a good agent can provide, and besides why do you care if a TA gets a commision, its not out of your pocket? You don't get a better cruise fare booking direct, and in fact sometimes the oposite is true.

Phil

Phil - I've booked both ways and frankly didn't get anything from a TA (not meaning stuff) than I got by doing the research myself. I am a very informed consumer and like to be in control. This is my personal opinion. And the way I like to do it. TA's are a great asset to those who do not want to do the research I like to do. And while it is no $$ out of my pocket, why should someone get it if I've done all the work?

[i am going on the Century one day after Thank's Giving. Hope you post how you liked the cruise. This was the first time I used a Travel Agent and hope it all goes well. I can believe that you must be very upset but don't let it ruin your cruise. Good luck from

One morequote=Texed]I had rather switch than fight. :)

Sorry but I think the OP got into this mess because he/she simply didn't understand what he/she was doing. Look at the terminology that is being thrown around by the OP- we're in a "oceanview, then we're going up to a "veranda," then onward to "concierge class," thanks to the "upgrade fairy,", But we're in a "GTY." So we're outahere and heading to "Carnival." Something ain't right about all this.

I've been on the phone with expedia.com for over an hour.

These chumps seem to be siding with the cruise line. Things like, the reason was, your original booking was in july 05 and was for a guarantee inside cabin. I told them that were wrong. Proved it to them (I have the original invoice from the grandeur of the seas dated 12/09/04.) I faxed that to them showing I was assigned cabin 2156.Then they start giving me another line of crap.

Well see tomorrow.

Not to get into the nitty gritty. If you have added this 3rd person only recently you may have paid full fare brochure rate for 3rd person anyway no? We had this experience last year on HAL ( a Carnival owned Corp.)

Our family of 10 had booked 4 mini-suites about 6 months out through an online agency. About 6 weeks prior to departure we added our then foster (now adoptive) daughter to our cabin (could not book until we received a court order from the judge overseeing her case). After having received a fair price (not a fantastic bargain mind you) on the original booking of 10 people, HAL decided they had a captive audience and because we were so close to departure, we had to pay full fare 3rd person (I don't have an opinion, so you can all discuss the merits of whether a child's fare should be less than an adults:rolleyes: )

Our online agency couldn't do anything about it, HAL wouldn't do anything about it. Our online agency doesn't even send us a bottle of wine, but in shopping around, we would not use them if 1. we had not received a great price 2. we had good experiences using them in the past

Just as an added note on the TA, vs. direct bookings go...For this years cruise on the Galaxy, we used an online agency (not one of the ones mentioned thus far :) ). They were a total of approximately $2000 less expensive than Celebrity. Celebrity's agent did not offer us a senior citizen discount for 3 members of our party NOR a resident discount (Georgia) which was available to the OTHER 3 members of our party. LOL, Celebrity's sales dept called again yesterday for a third time to find out if we might still be interested in booking. I love to tell them that "NO I DO NOT WANT TO BOOK, booked with a travel agent".:D

I LOVE it! Give Americans the internet and we all become ta's.

Sorry rt1092, you are neither an 'informed consumer' or a whiz at research. If you were, you would have known about these policies. I do.

So you would rather the cruise line have the money than a ta when you've 'done all the research' (see above, I think we've put that issue to rest)? Did it ever occur to you that after you did the research and called the ta to tell them to book (which, of course, would take NO time or effort according to you) and mentioned in passing that the mother in law might come (to sleep ona super comfy sofa bed no less) that the ta would tell you about these policies? Which would, of course, make you an informed consumer. Gee, years of ta experience paying off? Who woulda thunk.

Hate to make fun, but, reading this from the outside, it does sound a little

funny. You know everything and need no one yet you complain when lack of knowledge gets you in trouble. Find a ta and I don't mean expedia where you talk to $7 an hour phone people. A real ta who can tell you about the ins and outs and go to bat for you when there is a problem.

Just for grins answer this. You don't buy trip insurance either, do you?

I do all the investigation on what I want myself then call my TA and tell her what I want to do. She asks me what price I was quoted and tells me she can either match or better the price. TA all the way. I can't understand why people insist on doing things on their own and taking jobs away from people. Yes, I can get the same deal on my own but I just helped my TA keep her job and it COST ME NOTHING. Plus, if I have issues with my plans I just dump my issues on her and let her deal with it. Love that people like to be independent, but please think about what your doing to the economy help people keep their jobs!

Hey RT, I hope everything works out for you & your family. I DO understand the problem you are having. Not to get into the "nitty gritty" (as some might call it)..Most of us understand, I guess we can give Cruise Guy a little slack, he will catch up soon (hopefully):p

Hey RT, I hope everything works out for you & your family. I DO understand the problem you are having. Not to get into the "nitty gritty" (as some might call it)..Most of us understand, I guess we can give Cruise Guy a little slack, he will catch up soon (hopefully):p

As far as a travel agent goes. I heard and seen horror stories about them in NYC. People being stranded in other countries etc.

And as far as cruise insurance goes Well let me see!!!!!!

1. I can walk to the ship in a snow storm if I had to.

2. My wife got sick on a prior cruise, used the ships doctor they charged me 700+ dollars. We had trip insurance, filed a claim with berkleycares cruise protection, then was told to submit the bills to my own health insurance company. So what good did the insurance do me. If I was flying in I'd still use it. But I'm only 3 miles away from the port.

Celebrity sells guarantees on double occupancy basis only. When you add a third person, you will have to pay the going rate for the category.

If a sailing is a slow seller, a good agent with a fabulous rep can sometimes work wonders, but you didn't work with a ta.

Archived