I'm sorry but I didn't care for the volcano cake

MISSYLOU

I had this on the Zuiderdam in May 2004. I enjoyed this dish very much. However, when I got to the bottom of the dish, there was a pool of GREASE!! Made me wonder how much grease I had ingested when I ate "the whole thing"!!

It tasted great, however!

I applaude everyone that can finish that dessert! I think it's great, but I'm glad we get two different "sweet endings" to try. He orders whatever suits him and I order the volcano. Then we get to taste each. I love the creme brulee also, but there are generally wonderful choices in the dining room at least twice during the cruise for that.

I'd like to experience a 'real' Baked Alaska - sponge cake, ice cream - smothered in true meranguie (spelling) - egg whites and sugar whipped up to stand in stiff peaks and browned in high heat oven.

What is served today on most cruise ships is gooey and tastless. Topping it off with warmed up cherry jam does not impress me.

Ok - I can dream, can't I?????? :)

It goes without saying that there is no such thing as a bad chocolate anything.

However, the volcano cake is definitely overrated...so much so that HAL should reconsider their promotion of this item as their premier dessert offering. On a recent cruise, the executive chef even demonstrated this dessert in the culinary display kitchen. The chef was very impressive....not so the volcano cake.

Archived