I'm sorry but I didn't care for the volcano cake

MISSYLOU

I love chocolate but the volcano cake was not what I expected. I wanted to like it. Tried it the first night and it was such a deep rich chocolate the consistancy of pudding. It was not at all cake like. I ate some of it but not all. So the second night we ate in the Pinnacle I tried it again thinking that maybe the first nights batch was a little off. But the second time I ordered it the flavor and consistancy was the same, so very rich and gooey.

Now don't hate me, but am I the only one who didn't like it?

Tried it the first night and it was such a deep rich chocolate the consistancy of pudding.
But the second time I ordered it the flavor and consistancy was the same, so very rich and gooey.

Iggi..wiping up drool from her keyboard. Ooo...rich, chocolate gooey.... mmmm..I tell you what, if you don't like yours, I'd be happy to take care of it for you. :D

But, you are right..it's not a cake, it is more of a souffle.

and so so good.

I love chocolate but the volcano cake was not what I expected. I wanted to like it. Tried it the first night and it was such a deep rich chocolate the consistancy of pudding. It was not at all cake like. I ate some of it but not all. So the second night we ate in the Pinnacle I tried it again thinking that maybe the first nights batch was a little off. But the second time I ordered it the flavor and consistancy was the same, so very rich and gooey.

So you didn't like the volcano cake! Who cares? I don't like it either!:D

I also was so disappointed in the much touted Volcano Cake. If I had wanted "fudge" for dessert I would have ordered it*. I have definitely had much better chocolate desserts than this one. In fact, on one cruise - it was a while ago but I think it was on the Statendam - in the Dining Room I ordered the plain old chocolate cake and it was so moist and delicious that I still think of it to this day. I don't have the same feeling about the Pinnacle Grill's Volcano Cake, believe me.:D

* mine must have been overcooked since it was more like Fudge than Chocolate Pudding.

Iggi..wiping up drool from her keyboard. Ooo...rich, chocolate gooey.... mmmm..I tell you what, if you don't like yours, I'd be happy to take care of it for you. :D

But, you are right..it's not a cake, it is more of a souffle.

and so so good.

I'm with you. I thought it was woooonnnderful:p The next best thing to my own homemade hot fudge pudding cake!

Agree with you Karen, this dessert is nothing special. Last year on the Prinsendam we had a three flavour creme brulee which was outstanding. Don't know whether it is available on all ships and Janis should you like "puddin" you may give that one a try on the Zuidy. Karen, we will have to speak to the chef when we are meeting in the Pinnacle on the Veendam, maybe we can come up with different treat!!!!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one disappointed in the volcano cake. I've had it on a couple different cruises and I LOVE chocolate but it fell short. Mine were served at room temperature and I thought the idea behind "volcano" cake is that it should at least be warm. The one I had on Rhapsody OTS was fantastic!

I do love creme brulee tho and am looking forward to trying the sampler.

I have only had this dessert once, and while a chocolate lover--not as much as RuthC I don't think--it was not what I expected either. It seemed like it had been cooked well ahead of when it was served and was more souffle than cake-like, I thought. While it was acceptable, I think I would have enjoyed the creme brulee dessert that was offered more.

While on the Statendam this winter/spring, I will have at least 3 opportunities to visit the Pinnacle Grill. I will try it again. A different chef may make a different presentation.

I'm sorry but I didn't care for the volcano cake

WHAT?????? :eek:

You didn't care for the volcano cake!!!!!?????

HERESY!

50 thousand lashes with a wet noodle ...

and ... pass me what's left of that volcano cake. I'll eat it. :D

Granted ... it's not for everyone ... but, then, that's GOOD ... because that leaves more for ME!!!!

Bwwwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

I'm so surprised to hear that the volcano cake wasn't as good as it has been. When I had mine, it was warm to the point of being hot. The outside was firm, but then the spoon hit the warm gooey melty decadent chocolate and the fresh whipcream ooozed into it..omg..absolutely heaven in a bowl.

I'm sorry that other's haven't had this amazing experience.

I agree, I didn't like it either. After reading all the rave reviews on the board I was really looking forward to having some volcano cake but when it was brought to me I remember thinking what is this, this can't be "THE VOLCANO CAKE". I was very disappointed. I think I was expecting a cake with lots and lots of chocolate but this dessert was way to rich for me and I did not enjoy at all and I love chocolate.

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh,

Now I don't feel so badly that they were "out and wouldn't have more for at least an hour" when I ordered it.

One of the BEST desserts I had on the O was a raspberry strussel cheesecake; it was the BEST..............and I love chocolate. I'll go for the cheesecake and not order the cake!;)

Just a few days now!:)

Don't feel bad. I don't like chocolate ... and it certainly doesn't like me (migranes). I actually go to the dessert extravaganza just to take pictures and have a spot 'o tea. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

On our last cruise our watress was very good about giving advice based on response from the people at the first sitting. She wouldn't say anything unless we asked but would give an honest answer if we really wanted to know. One night my husband asked about a specific dessert...she wrinkled her nose and said, "uh no." Bob really wanted whatever it was and ordered it anyway she was so cute, "ok, but you order backup." He did and she was right.

I guess besides that it's a cute story, "order back-up" is my new philosophy. I order at least 2 dessert and sometimes 3 :D you just never know what is going to suit your tastes. So anyone who is unsure (I know I'll be ordering it) order it but order back-up.

Too rich? :confused: I'm confused. How can chocolate be too rich? :confused:

That's all right MissyLou; you're not required to like the chocolate volcano cake. Maybe it's the chef? Maybe sometimes it's better than others? Mine was worth risking another heart attack to have it again. (Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe.)

Archived