Diabetic Menu

PhotoPete

Wife just found out she has type 2 diabetes. We are currently booked on the October 29th sailing of Empress of the Seas. Does Royal have a diabetic menu? Thanks for the responses.

No they don't but you can eat stuff that is friendly towards diabetes.

My husband's a diabetic. All my siblings are diabetics. Sadly, this is a topic I know.

First, realize that if your wife does absolutely nothing /follows her usual diet for a one-week cruise, it's not going to be a make-or-break thing. No, I'm not saying she doesn't need to learn how to eat for her condition, or that diet isn't important -- I'm just saying that she didn't develop this condition just yesterday, and one week isn't the end of the world.

The people who say you should go to the diabetic eating class are 100% right. That class did us more good than any other single thing. Yeah, it was the same material we'd read ... but hearing it and going through the practice exercises (i.e., comparing half a dozen brands of yogurt to see which was lowest in carbs) really helped. But THE BEST THING about the class was that each individual met with the diabetes educator individually and came away with an eating plan tailored to his or her specific needs. For example, a plan might specify that your wife'll eat breakfast at 7:00 and should have 5 carbs as a part of that meal ... then lunch at 12:30 including 6 carbs ... dinner at 6:30 including 8 carbs ... and a no-carb bedtime snack at 10:00. Once she knows exactly how many carbs she should have throughout the day, she'll find it tedious at first to monitor the carbs, but she'll catch on quickly.

Keep in mind that diabetes is NOT about limiting sugar. It's all about carbohydrates -- bread, rice, pasta, and sugar. Sugar carries more carbohydrates than anything else calorie-for-calorie, so that's why people mistakenly think it IS diabetes. She should eat a bit of carbohydrate throughout the day, but she should keep it in moderation.

With the cruise coming up so quickly, here's a list of quick suggestions to keep things moderate:

- Protein typically isn't a problem for diabetics, so she can have all the meat (and eggs) she wants. She should be careful of sauces and breading, which can add carbs.

- Likewise, she can have all the vegetables she wants. Again, beware of sauces and dressings.

If you remember nothing but those two above rules, she can eat well during the cruise. Just make a plate of meat and vegetable, and all will be okay. Continuing:

- On the other hand, fruit carries a bigger carbohydrate footprint than vegetables. It's okay in moderation, and fruit might be a good dessert.

- A sandwich (or piece of pizza) packs a big carbohydrate punch. Consider half a sandwich or a slim piece of pizza paired with a green salad. Or wrap her favorite sandwich ingredients in a piece of lettuce.

- At home you can experiment with low-carb pastas (Dream-something is a good name brand), but they're more expensive, so I'm sure the cruise line doesn't use them. It's best to avoid big plates of spaghetti or ravioli on board. No pasta salad, no big plates of mac-and-cheese, no bread next to your meal.

- Potatoes -- especially white potatoes -- are absolute kryptonite to a diabetic. While you're learning how to eat, it's best to completely avoid them. This includes french fries and potato chips.

- Beware of casseroles. They can so easily be full of hidden ingredients.

- Deserts are usually high in carbohydrates -- even sugar free desserts. To put it in perspective, a typical piece of cake has 30 carbs, whereas a large green salad has only 2.

- Between meal snacks tend towards carb-y. Nuts and cheese are safe no-carb snacks.

- Be careful not to drink your carbs. Water, of course, is best ... but sugar-free iced tea (okay to use artificial sweetner). Beware of fancy mixed drinks, but white wine or rum-and-diet Coke is low-carb.

Again, you can't go wrong with a plate of meat and vegetables.

If you want to be a supportive husband (and clearly you do), get her one of those counting-carbohydrate bracelets. She can move a bead or a charm around the bracelet so she'll have a visual reminder of how many carbs she's "allowed" to have each day. Or, if she's tech-y, you can find a cell phone app that'll monitor this for you. They also make watches that help you keep up with how many carbs you've had.

You should also get her a subscription to a diabetic cooking magazine -- pick her up a copy or two to read during the cruise. The magazines don't focus on "you can't have this or that"; rather, they show pictures of lovely food that you'll really want to eat.

Last note on diet: It won't hurt you to eat this same diet, but it'll probably help her emotionally.

Note I haven't said anything about blood testing. Yeah, she needs to learn to do it, but it really does boil down to diet, especially carbs. Once she's been at this for a while, she'll develop a sixth sense about her blood sugar and will just "know" whether she's good or not.

New topic: The more exercise she complete, the more carbs she can eat. So if y'all do a walking tour ashore, or if you push yourself for a power walk around the jogging track, she can "earn" a nice dessert or a drink. However, this adds a whole new wrinkle to the whole diabetic eating concept, and you really could be forgiven for ignoring it until you have the diet thing down.

And finally, good luck. You'll make it through this without undue stress. It just seems overwhelming at first.

First I want to THANK YOU for such indepth information for a new diabetic or one that has had diabetes for a while. I am going through blood testing every three months trying to see where my A1C is going. My doctor told me that if it reaches 7 then I will have to take a pill. I have read lots of information about what to eat and not eat and it can be very daunting. I did find that while on a cruise we ate our meals at the buffet and I could pretty much find something to eat. For example, if I ate mashed potatoes I would only eat maybe a tablespoon, just to get the taste and I was satisfied. Desserts are my big downfall as I love sweets and the sugar-free ones are quite good, BUT, they are loaded in carbs.

All I can say is thank you soooooo much for all of this information. I would love to have a really good book to read, so if you can suggest one I would love to know what it is. :)

When I was diagnosed 13 years ago, it was a frustrating process to learn what foods to avoid or at least reduce. I still make mistakes. A nutrition class will be definitely help, along with reading labels correctly when grocery shopping.

Agree with a previous poster about All Bran cereal - buy it all the time. Another is Fibre 1 - both cereals are very high in fibre and I take it with me on cruises.

We tend to be more active during the day, so can eat some carbs for breakfast and lunch. But as a rule, we are less active in the evenings, yet eat larger meals, along with dessert and drinks.

I try to avoid eating carbs, or at least limit carbs with my dinner meal. My dessert is usually a cup of herbal tea, and I may sneak only one bite of my DH's dessert. We don't drink, so no worries there.

Along with proper eating, exercise is definitely key to maintain proper blood sugar levels. When on cruises, especially on sea days, I do a brisk walk on the treadmill in the gym ( min. 30 min.), usually in late afternoon, before getting ready for dinner. At least I feel a bit less guilty, if I do have a bit of carbs at dinner.

With time and nutrition education, I'm sure your wife will learn what works for her.

Enjoy your cruise!

My husband's a diabetic. All my siblings are diabetics. Sadly, this is a topic I know.

- Deserts are usually high in carbohydrates -- even sugar free desserts.

Sadly, many diabetics think it's OK to eat "Sugar Free" deserts.

It is NOT.

Sadly, many diabetics think it's OK to eat "Sugar Free" deserts.

It is NOT.

Can't stress that, all comes down to Carbs. You see "sugar free" what ever (cookies, cakes) look at the nutritional information and the Carbs. Simply carbohydrates turn into sugar.

2014 HEMOGLOBIN A1C was 11.3 had all the symptoms and lost all feeling in my toes.

Went on metforman, changed my diet, exercise. Got my A1c down to 5.3 with only 500mg of Met. 3 months and the last 3 tests (9 months) my A1C is 5.7 without Met. Lost 50lbs.

I've done four cruises since diagnosis eating the normal menu and even treated myself to a sugar FULL desert on our special day. Diabetic can eat anything, all comes down to portions, learning what food spike your sugar (eat to your meter, look it up).

Biggest benefit my DW has eaten the same diet and has lost weight and reduced blood pressure as well. Toes haven't changed but that is a great motivator.

Good luck to you both.

Regarding the potatoes, for a diabetic are sweet potatoes (yams?) OK, or stay away?

Sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes for a diabetic, but are still pretty high in carbohydrates. Eat them sparingly.

This is great to know! My daddy is a Viet Nam Vet and got diabetes as a complication of agent orange. Luckily because of that the VA pays for his treatments. I'm hoping to have a cruise wedding so it's good to know they will accommodate!

I had no idea Agent Orange and diabetes were related. My father-in-law is a Vietnam vet and a diabetic, though, to be completely honest, everyone in his family is a diabetic, so any connection his condition might have is fuzzy at best.

To be clear: No, the cruise line isn't particularly accommodating of diabetics; rather, diabetics don't really need accommodations. No foods are off-limits. It's just that a diabetic must look at the foods offered at a buffet and opt for a big spoonful of vegetables and a small spoon of mashed potatoes.

First I want to THANK YOU for such indepth information for a new diabetic or one that has had diabetes for a while. I am going through blood testing every three months trying to see where my A1C is going. My doctor told me that if it reaches 7 then I will have to take a pill. I have read lots of information about what to eat and not eat and it can be very daunting. I did find that while on a cruise we ate our meals at the buffet and I could pretty much find something to eat. For example, if I ate mashed potatoes I would only eat maybe a tablespoon, just to get the taste and I was satisfied. Desserts are my big downfall as I love sweets and the sugar-free ones are quite good, BUT, they are loaded in carbs.

All I can say is thank you soooooo much for all of this information. I would love to have a really good book to read, so if you can suggest one I would love to know what it is. :)

Glad to help. Yeah, your A1C is a number that deserves your attention. 7 is pretty high. None of my family members take medicine for diabetes; they all control it with diet. This is VERY possible, and highly preferable to being dependent upon medication.

I know I've read some books, but -- sorry -- it's been too long ago, and I don't remember any titles. At a glance, the best book is the one you'll actually read and follow! Choose something user-friendly. Also pick up a pocket-sized book that you can use on the cruise while you're still in the "iffy" stage about what's high /what's low in carbs.

When I was diagnosed 13 years ago, it was a frustrating process to learn what foods to avoid or at least reduce. I still make mistakes. A nutrition class will be definitely help, along with reading labels correctly when grocery shopping.

Oh, yes, you'll still make mistakes even after you've "learned it all", and sometimes you'll make mistakes on purpose because it's Thanksgiving Day and you are going to eat that stuffing and pie! But you'll also learn how to recover from mistakes; for example, you'll figure out that taking a long walk after dinner will allow you to eat both the stuffing and the pie, whereas if you eat them and then sit down to watch the Cowboys play football, you'll feel bad later. You'll learn to keep peanut butter nearby and how big a spoonful you need when you're shakey.

And, oh, yes, learning to read those nutritional labels is essential. Once you've been at this for a while, you'll pick up some habits -- but for the time being, it'll be real work. For example, we love taco salad at our house ... and we used to pile in a bunch of chips and then top them with all the goodies ... now we start with a big pile of lettuce and end with broken chips on top as a condiment. All the same foods -- just monitoring proportions and eating at the right time of day.

Finally, it all becomes easier with practice, and you'll find that your body will "reward" you -- you'll feel better when you do right. Diabetes comes on slowly, and you've probably "forgotten" that you used to feel a whole lot better.

Sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes for a diabetic, but are still pretty high in carbohydrates. Eat them sparingly.

I had no idea Agent Orange and diabetes were related. My father-in-law is a Vietnam vet and a diabetic, though, to be completely honest, everyone in his family is a diabetic, so any connection his condition might have is fuzzy at best.

To be clear: No, the cruise line isn't particularly accommodating of diabetics; rather, diabetics don't really need accommodations. No foods are off-limits. It's just that a diabetic must look at the foods offered at a buffet and opt for a big spoonful of vegetables and a small spoon of mashed potatoes.

Glad to help. Yeah, your A1C is a number that deserves your attention. 7 is pretty high. None of my family members take medicine for diabetes; they all control it with diet. This is VERY possible, and highly preferable to being dependent upon medication.

I know I've read some books, but -- sorry -- it's been too long ago, and I don't remember any titles. At a glance, the best book is the one you'll actually read and follow! Choose something user-friendly. Also pick up a pocket-sized book that you can use on the cruise while you're still in the "iffy" stage about what's high /what's low in carbs.

Oh, yes, you'll still make mistakes even after you've "learned it all", and sometimes you'll make mistakes on purpose because it's Thanksgiving Day and you are going to eat that stuffing and pie! But you'll also learn how to recover from mistakes; for example, you'll figure out that taking a long walk after dinner will allow you to eat both the stuffing and the pie, whereas if you eat them and then sit down to watch the Cowboys play football, you'll feel bad later. You'll learn to keep peanut butter nearby and how big a spoonful you need when you're shakey.

And, oh, yes, learning to read those nutritional labels is essential. Once you've been at this for a while, you'll pick up some habits -- but for the time being, it'll be real work. For example, we love taco salad at our house ... and we used to pile in a bunch of chips and then top them with all the goodies ... now we start with a big pile of lettuce and end with broken chips on top as a condiment. All the same foods -- just monitoring proportions and eating at the right time of day.

Finally, it all becomes easier with practice, and you'll find that your body will "reward" you -- you'll feel better when you do right. Diabetes comes on slowly, and you've probably "forgotten" that you used to feel a whole lot better.

All of these responses have been so helpful to me. As for "no sugar added" cookies, cakes, etc. I have been watching the carbs and I always read the labels. My doctor said he prefers zero carbs in a day, but I just haven't been able to do that. I try very hard to limit myself to 40-60 carbs a day and no more. I do drink but only when on a cruise. A bartender asked me if I would like a "skinny beach." I told him I had never heard of it so he told me it was soda water, vodka and lime or lemon. I said sure and found it to be very refreshing. Then we were at the beach a couple of weeks ago and I had diet coke with vodka. That was a first, but I found it not to be too bad. I really like the sweet drinks, so one of those may be my BIG splurge just once on a cruise or a chocolate martini. Sweets area really my big downfall and that's been very hard for me. I have a lot of lifestyle changes to make and I can do it. I doubt I will ever get my DH to switch his diet though. It would be much easier if he would because of what I can eat but he won't do it. Oh well!!! Again thank you. I am always open to suggestions. My next bloodwork is Nov. 1 and then two weeks later I will get my results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my A1c hasn't gone up. :)