Ultimate Dining Useful Info (Gem)

NorthernHiro

Hi All,

We just returned from the GEM, Canada/New England 7 Day. We opted for the dining package, 3 specialty restaurants included over the drinks package, shorex or internet. We prepaid the 'gratuities' portion, mandatory at booking. It wasn't much, maybe $56 pp?

I pre-booked our restaurants about 5 weeks prior to sailing. I highly recommend this as I saw a few disappointed passengers on board who could not get into the venues they wanted. I booked 7:30pm for all 3, not knowing that the production shows were always 6:30 and 8:30. We did manage to get in early or finish just in time but I'd recommend 7pm for dinner if you want to go to the 830pm shows.

We ate twice at Le Bistro and once at La Cucina. I am a vegetarian (but will eat fish/seafood occasionally) so these made the most sense. Plus I loved Le Bistro on the Jade.

So, the menus do have prices on them, for guests without dining packages.

For those with a package, I believe the unspoken 'rule' is you may only order one entree but otherwise can request as many dishes as you want. The bread & rolls on board are fantastic and we definitely appreciated the baskets and butter with each meal.

Le Bistro, dinner 1 - we both had 2 apps, one main each, 3 desserts between us. The 'bill' which you are given at the end shows pricing with a total which is then zeroed out. Our bill was $79. Any alcohol purchases are on a separate bill.

Le Bistro, dinner 2 - again, same as above, bill was $74 before adjustments

La Cucina, dinner 3 - I ordered 2 plates from the apps menu + a salad, my husband had 2 apps plus a main, and 3 desserts between us (the portions are small!)

Total bill about $70 before adjustments.

The service at all 3 was excellent, especially in Le Bistro, so we gave an additional gratuity on the 'zero' bill each time.

For us, these were the best dinners by far. We also ate at Orchid Garden one night and the food and service were very good, though I found most dishes to be quite heavy on the oil (or deep fried) so my system could not handle a second visit. Dinners in the MDR were kind of disappointing and the buffet (we went once for dinner as I wasn't feeling great) looked pretty good on some nights when we wondered by though the desserts were dreadful (see my GEM Oct 8-15 review)

Hope this helps!

Hi All,

We just returned from the GEM, Canada/New England 7 Day. We opted for the dining package, 3 specialty restaurants included over the drinks package, shorex or internet. We prepaid the 'gratuities' portion, mandatory at booking. It wasn't much, maybe $56 pp?

I pre-booked our restaurants about 5 weeks prior to sailing. I highly recommend this as I saw a few disappointed passengers on board who could not get into the venues they wanted. I booked 7:30pm for all 3, not knowing that the production shows were always 6:30 and 8:30. We did manage to get in early or finish just in time but I'd recommend 7pm for dinner if you want to go to the 830pm shows.

We ate twice at Le Bistro and once at La Cucina. I am a vegetarian (but will eat fish/seafood occasionally) so these made the most sense. Plus I loved Le Bistro on the Jade.

So, the menus do have prices on them, for guests without dining packages.

For those with a package, I believe the unspoken 'rule' is you may only order one entree but otherwise can request as many dishes as you want. The bread & rolls on board are fantastic and we definitely appreciated the baskets and butter with each meal.

Le Bistro, dinner 1 - we both had 2 apps, one main each, 3 desserts between us. The 'bill' which you are given at the end shows pricing with a total which is then zeroed out. Our bill was $79. Any alcohol purchases are on a separate bill.

Le Bistro, dinner 2 - again, same as above, bill was $74 before adjustments

La Cucina, dinner 3 - I ordered 2 plates from the apps menu + a salad, my husband had 2 apps plus a main, and 3 desserts between us (the portions are small!)

Total bill about $70 before adjustments.

The service at all 3 was excellent, especially in Le Bistro, so we gave an additional gratuity on the 'zero' bill each time.

For us, these were the best dinners by far. We also ate at Orchid Garden one night and the food and service were very good, though I found most dishes to be quite heavy on the oil (or deep fried) so my system could not handle a second visit. Dinners in the MDR were kind of disappointing and the buffet (we went once for dinner as I wasn't feeling great) looked pretty good on some nights when we wondered by though the desserts were dreadful (see my GEM Oct 8-15 review)

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much..leaving Saturday..what sis you get that was especially good?

Thank you for the information. We are new to the UDP and have it for 4 nights on the Jade in January. Do you know how far in advance you can book the restaurants? We are 98 days away and I can't book yet online. I think shows on past cruises we have taken were 7:30 and 9:30.

Hi

Best of best:

Le Bistro- app: cream of mushroom soup, main: Bouillabaisse, dessert:Tarte Tatin and Cream Puffs

La Cucina- app: asparagus risotto (large portion, had is as my main) husband loved the Lasagna app size, Tiramisu was excellent

And the only other really memorable dish, ironically, was the Seafood Paella, on the pool deck, sea day

cheers,

Vivian

Thank you for the information. We are new to the UDP and have it for 4 nights on the Jade in January. Do you know how far in advance you can book the restaurants? We are 98 days away and I can't book yet online. I think shows on past cruises we have taken were 7:30 and 9:30.

You can book 90 days out or 100 days if you are in a suite.

Hi

Best of best:

Le Bistro- app: cream of mushroom soup, main: Bouillabaisse, dessert:Tarte Tatin and Cream Puffs

La Cucina- app: asparagus risotto (large portion, had is as my main) husband loved the Lasagna app size, Tiramisu was excellent

And the only other really memorable dish, ironically, was the Seafood Paella, on the pool deck, sea day

cheers,

Vivian

Thanks ..we have four nights and have already booked...looking forward to mushroom soup!