What does "obstructed view" mean for a balcony cabin?

We have only ever done two back to backs on Royal and Princess and both times we had inside cabins.

Our next b2b on Navigator we have an actual assigned balcony on the 5 day and a guarantee balcony on the 11 day. I was reading a previous threat when people were talking about the possibility of being assigned an obstructed view balcony.

What does this mean for that level of cabin? Will it mean something actually in the way or do they mean maybe having the roof of a lifeboat below you etc?

Edited by lucywestie

Maybe I should rephrase then. What, for example, would be in the way?

On Navigator there are only a very few balcony cabins have an obstructed view and they are the aft facing cabins on decks 6,7 and 8. There is some of the steel superstructure that blocks some of the view. In these cabins IMO it is not that big of a deal and the huge balcony that comes with these cabins far outweighs any minor view obstruction.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Could be many things, part of the ship or anything attached to it: Lifeboat, life raft cylinders, machinery, supports or bulkheads, to name a few. With some, lifeboats fill quite a bit of the view, others, not so much. On Empress, we have a forward OV coming up that is listed as obstructed. There is a seldom used covered walkway, with bulkheads on each end, between the window and the open air/view of the forward deck below.

Edited by CapeCoralCruiser

I have been studying photos of the Navigator plus combining that with deck plans on the RCI website and from what I can tell the first line of balconies is well above the lifeboats etc. Pretty sure we will be happy no matter what anyway.

The nice thing about obstructed view cabins on the Navigator is that they are not a separate category as they are on the Anthem which means that if by chance you were assigned one then you can change it for any other cabin in the exact same category as long as you booked under North American terms and conditions.

I have been studying photos of the Navigator plus combining that with deck plans on the RCI website and from what I can tell the first line of balconies is well above the lifeboats etc. Pretty sure we will be happy no matter what anyway.

You can tell exactly which cabins have the obstructed view as they have the open square in the cabin. Cabin 6390 is an example.

Some listed obstructed balcony cabins are those where they park the window washing equipment. It is not really an obstruction, as it is only about 2 feet wide and open metal. It in no way obscures the entire balcony view. We had one on Serenade. I thought that I had taken a photo, but apparently not. :)

Maybe I should rephrase then. What, for example, would be in the way?

View forward or aft maybe blocked. lifeboat blocking view of the sea, metal railing instead of glass or a piece of stored equipment.

Edited by Kamloops50

It will NOT be a total obstruction...either a post, or beam...or something above your head that you might see, but won't block your view. No worries! The only "total obstructions" will be older ships in the ocean view cabins... (not balconies)!

Edited by cb at sea

It will NOT be a total obstruction...either a post, or beam...or something above your head that you might see, but won't block your view. No worries! The only "total obstructions" will be older ships in the ocean view cabins... (not balconies)!

Ive be picking the guaranteed 100% obstructed view cabins. Some people call them inside cabins but hey its all in how you market it.