Cruise Critic just back from Cuba - Fathom

Cruise Critic Chris

Thank you for the interesting review and take on this cruise. Can you please offer some comparisons to your Celestyl Crystal cruise to Cuba for those (like me) who will be cruising on that ship? I realize both of these ships keep making changes, either to make improvements to the ship or to their tours, programs or cultural offerings. However I don't think the Celestyl Crystal cruises arrange for her passengers to work or help out in the community. I understand the Crystal just came out of dry dock and her Cuba cruises out of Montego Bay will start up very, very soon. There isn't nearly as much easy to find comprehensive info. out there on the Crystal as there is on the Adonia.

Also, this is the first I've read of becoming "self certified". Can you please explain what that means? I was under the impression that one could use their free time to pursue various activities on their own when not doing one of the people to people tours. If the walking tour offered by Crystal is anywhere near a 5 hour tour, it will not work for my spouse due to a slight mobility issue that would likely cause the tour to be a bit much. Guess I'd better try to find out the answer to that!

Thanks again for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, this is the first I've read of becoming "self certified". Can you please explain what that means? I was under the impression that one could use their free time to pursue various activities on their own when not doing one of the people to people tours.

Not exactly sure how this pertains to cruise passengers, but....

Anyone subject to the US regulations for travel to Cuba (i.e. anyone on any passport leaving from a US airport), as of March 2016, can simply check a box on a form stating the 12 official reasons for travel to Cuba (tourism is not one of them; people to people is). No tour agency or other third party needed to apply though. You can travel on your own. just as most anywhere else in the world In practice, you can do whatever activities you wish, just like those from all other countries. No one is doing more than asking where you've been and wishing you a welcome home on return to the US.Supposed to keep proof of your activities for 5 years, but the reality is that no one is checking any more.

Edited by VidaNaPraia