Advice Please.........

stefs111

Asking for ice is not requesting additional service. It use to be automatic. IMO extra service is something above the norm or having a super messy room that takes longer to service.

Yes, it used to be automatic, but my past few cruises on Carnival, there was not any ice bucket in the room and we had to ask for it and also ask for it to be filled twice a day.

If you're tipping them and he's paying them out of his tips, you are hurting the main guys.

You make me a villain for tipping extra. Never thought much about it but usually give them the extra tip together. Besides, where does it say the main person shares extra tips with his crew.

You make me a villain for tipping extra. Never thought much about it but usually give them the extra tip together. Besides, where does it say the main person shares extra tips with his crew.

Do whatever you fee is right. Trust me, you are not hurting anybody. The system works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone

Well said RWolver :) I like the part "Basically what you did was hired them for their extra service" when something above and beyond the normal is desired.

BTW ... to the OP - DH and I feel that having the ice bucket filled 2x a day is a normal duty since there are not ice machines on each deck like a hotel.;)

Yes there are ice machines on every deck. The door is always open. We had a not so attentive room steward and I found their utility room.

I tip the steward $40 at the end of the cruise, if good service is provided. Not at the beginning as my intention is for it to be a tip, not a bribe. That said, I leave it up to him/her to share with their assistant. I would hope they would, but if they don't, I figure it's their business. I never come in contact with their assistants, and I figure that getting extra tips is a perk of being the head steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you tip before it is not a bribe. It is a tip as were tips were origianlly intended.

To

Insure

Prompt

Service

We have at times tipped extra for an extraordinary event at the time of the event. An example is when we had a cocktail party while staying in the Captain's Suite on the Sunshine and he prepped it for us and cleaned it up while we were at the steakhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How did you set this up/how were the drinks supplied? We have a Captain's Suite in December and that sounds like fun.

Drink are the challenge. We had about 30 people, some brought things (pretty creative I might add). We ordered some apps off the room service menu. One person went to lido and stopped in at Cucina and they made an antipasto. Somebody brought apps they ordered from the Red Frog.

In terms of drinks, we had several bottle of wine and champagne we had received as gifts from some Carnival management friends I have that were waiting in our room when we got there. Other brought wine they had carried on and I went down and got three buckets of beer (unopened) which was right down the hall. I just ordered it and he delivered to our room.

The setup was done by our room steward (and he did a great job). It was a really special time, and we really enjoyed doing it for our group, and showing them the CS. I have pics if you would like to see....this cruise we also a celebration of a big birthday for me, so those decorations were there as well. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums