My time dining questions

Lynhay

I sure would like others to chime in here. I really don't think Royal expects one to cancel a reservation for MTD in MDR. A Speciality Restaurant is a bit different and we have cancelled reservations and chose to eat elsewhere.

Another thing, we don't show up late to MTD in MDR. To me, that is far worse than not canceling our reservation for 2. It disrupts the others dinner as it gets out of sync with others.

RUDE is a strong word. We are always very courteous to others.

I don't know what this "specialty restaurant people grabbing you while in line" thing is. I guess sometimes the specialties have openings and they send staff to make offers? Never had that happen. Huh.

But yeah if you have made MTD arrangements for a certain time, and if you decide not to go while waiting for the table, it would definitely be courteous to let them know plans changed.

It's *possible* the chops people would let them know. It's *possible* the people taking your order for in-room dining would let them know, but you're making assumptions if that's what you're thinking. Just let someone know really quick. That's way they KNOW they can release your table to someone waiting in the line for those without reservations quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mollyeilis

I think there is a confusion going on.

I think Troy has NOT mentioned having a reservation just MTD. No reservation means no table waiting means not inconveniencing anyone.

On the other hand, having a table RESERVED and not showing without informing the dining room means table waiting that is empty that could be better used by having someone sitting there. More appreciated by those working, and waiting to eat.

Thanks for attempting to help me...

But we did have MTD Reservations. On our two upcoming cruises in the next 70 days, a 11 day and a 7 day, I have already booked or reserved our MTD times.... but it is always subject to change once onboard.

I will talk with the wait staff in 20+ days, if they say it is beneficial to cancel when one can, I will attempt to cancel.

Except for removing people from their lounge seats, we are reasonable people but I don't consider a label of RUDE appropriate.

I still believe, if one books alternate eating establishments or ones room, as we often do, Royal system should be good enough to know we can't dine in two places at the same time.

Edited by troykahack

In that case, I would hope you'd see that a simple phone call or stopping by to cancel a reservation is definitely courteous. Telling others here that canceling is not recommended or necessary does not sound like you care about others and are trying to be courteous to them.

I don't believe I used the words recommended. I just expressed what we did. I don't believe I told the OP it was not necessary....

Is it "rude" to put words in ones writing that they did not say?

Edited by troykahack

I don't know what this "specialty restaurant people grabbing you while in line" thing is. I guess sometimes the specialties have openings and they send staff to make offers? Never had that happen. Huh.

But yeah if you have made MTD arrangements for a certain time, and if you decide not to go while waiting for the table, it would definitely be courteous to let them know plans changed.

It's *possible* the chops people would let them know. It's *possible* the people taking your order for in-room dining would let them know, but you're making assumptions if that's what you're thinking. Just let someone know really quick. That's way they KNOW they can release your table to someone waiting in the line for those without reservations quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost every cruise we have been on, wait staff from numerous Specialty Restaurants are in the hall entering the MDR trying to presuade one to eat in their Restaurant. Typically Chops and even Chef's Table. Generally, they have some special that they offer you, like BOGO. We are in a line, they say come with us...... I believe they should notify the MDR we are eating elsewhere. They are trying to fill spots quickly.

So, would it be more rude, to butt in line to tell wait staff you will not be eating in MDR, or wait in line for 5-10 mins and now cause a later seating time in Chops to be delayed because you didn't immediately go to Chops? What if it was your reservation that was now delayed in Chops?

I still believe, if one books alternate eating establishments or ones room, as we often do, Royal system should be good enough to know we can't dine in two places at the same time.

Come on..............we all know about Royal's IT Department.:D

Come on..............we all know about Royal's IT Department.:D

So we are required to make up for.... using the same logic, then how would Royal even know on the system that I cancelled if I called....

It goes both ways......

I talked with SO, lots more cruises than myself.... SO says she was told it doesn't matter.... not to bother.... that is the reason SO doesn't make sure I do it....

Edited by troykahack

Since this post includes some discussion of traditional dining as well as MTD, I would like to add my opinion on why it is inconsiderate to not show up but not notify anyone.

We always request traditional dining, and a table for 6 or 8. We always get that. But sometimes we don't get tablemates. When, after a couple of nights we see that other tables nearby are the same, we ask if they can be combined (same waitstaff). The answer is always No, as the spaces are being held for Mr. & Mrs. X Y Z, and the other table has reservations for Mr. and Mrs. A B C.

The worst case was a cruise in which we were alone at an 8-top, one couple at the next big table, a solo woman at a big table, and another solo woman at a different one nearby. Pitiful.

Since this post includes some discussion of traditional dining as well as MTD, I would like to add my opinion on why it is inconsiderate to not show up but not notify anyone.

We always request traditional dining, and a table for 6 or 8. We always get that. But sometimes we don't get tablemates. When, after a couple of nights we see that other tables nearby are the same, we ask if they can be combined (same waitstaff). The answer is always No, as the spaces are being held for Mr. & Mrs. X Y Z, and the other table has reservations for Mr. and Mrs. A B C.

The worst case was a cruise in which we were alone at an 8-top, one couple at the next big table, a solo woman at a big table, and another solo woman at a different one nearby. Pitiful.

We would prefer to have a table for 2. SO deals with so many people and families on daily basis, we cruise to get away from it all. First question EVERYONE ASKED, what do you do??

Then many people become rude..... and we can no longer enjoy our vacation. I am sure this is not a question you would ask but SO MANY RUDE PEOPLE do. Think about it.

Edited by troykahack