Upgrade fairy rang my bell

iriemon

Based on the current prices of the lowest Neptune and the lowest Vista ($4300) the upsell offer is about 1/3rd of the difference - quite normal for HAL (in fact, I usually figure paying about 1/3rd of the difference when being offered an upsell). I think that part of the large difference in your case is the length of the cruise, plus the big difference in cabin size from a Vista to a Neptune.

Since the smaller HAL ships have alot fewer Neptunes, upsells to them generally do not occur as often as on the larger HAL ships. Plus, going from a Signature to a Neptune is not as great sizewise nor pricewise as in your case.

Of course the value to you is strictly your choice and decision, depending on your wants and needs. I hope that you get a second round of offers, as there seem to be alot of Neptunes still open.

That sounds about right. We were recently on a 14 day K'dam cruise to the North Cape and paid $1,700 pp for an upgrade from our aft-facing VS to an aft-facing wraparound Neptune suite and on that occasion we're glad we did! Eating breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill every morning rather than fighting the crowds up on the Lido deck was worth it just for that. I also have to admit the perks that go with having access to the Neptune Lounge services are quite nice, especially when on a larger ship like the K'dam where the lines at times can be quite long at either customer service or the future cruise desk.

But on this particular cruise, which is maybe 2/3 full from what I can tell and probably because of the Thanksgiving issue, life should be much calmer as is the case on most of HAL's smaller ships where the cruises are 17 days or longer.

But if that brass ring comes around a second time, we'll probably take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I got the upgrade offer that I talked about in the beginning of this thread. Today I got 2 more both of them offering an upgrade to a suite. The only difference was the price was cheaper in the second one that came out 1 hour later. The ship must really be empty since I started out with an inside room guarantee. I did not take either offer since I am travelling single I dont need the extra room

Just got an upgrade offer regarding our 17 day Amsterdam cruise on Nov 17th to go from our VS to a Neptune for $1,449 pp. We would have jumped on it if the price was for both of us, but that's too much in our way of thinking to pay per person. I know the larger room, free laundry, having access to the Neptune Lounge and eating breakfast in the Pinnacle are nice perks, but not for $2,900 more (or $170 per day more). Hopefully, they will come out with a second round offer that will be more reasonable, especially with how many empty Neptune suites they have to fill.

Did you make a counter offer & tell them you would take it if it was for two?..

No harm in trying..

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wow, two great upsell offers in the last couple of days. Enjoy your balcony and have the best cruise!! It is certainly starting off great!!

Dear HAL Upsell Fairy, PLEASE CALL SOON and give me an offer I can't refuse (at least reasonable) for a SS or Neptune suite. There are still so many suites available for our cruise and what a perfect Christmas present. Remember, I said r-e-a-s-o-n-a-b-l-e!!! Thank you in advance!!

Think it will work? I have never been offered an upgrade or upsell on any of my past cruises. Hope this is the lucky one!!

Did you make a counter offer & tell them you would take it if it was for two?..

No harm in trying..

We initially called and told them if the price was for both of us, we'd take the deal. But of course that didn't fly. Then, we waited a week for the second offer to come as there were plenty of Neptunes left, but no email came. It was now at the 2 week mark so we decided to call our TA to find out if HAL was going to send a second round of offers. She called someone and found out because the booked percentage was above a certain level and there were quite a few guarantee bookings still to place the final week, they weren't going to send out a second wave of emails for the few rooms they had left. Then we mentioned we would pay $1,000 pp if they were taking individual offers. She made another call and they said they would take $1,049 pp. Sold! Don't know if this strategy will work in the future, but it definitely seemed to work this time and we're in a Neptune!

Congrats Ken. Way to go with your counter offer. Quite lucky your cruise is not that full.

Never got a second chance when we got an upsell offer, as the suites disappeared so fast.

Hoping for an upsell on the next cruise but it was booked at very economical rate, and that was before they tacked on the E4 and upped the price 80% pp (no kidding).

Not very hopeful for an upsell this time. But having had upsells at decent prices five times out of eight, its OK. :)

Congrats again, and have a great cruise.....

Edited by jpelleti007