Around the horn jacket, shoes

Marseydotes

We will be sailing to South American ports and going around Cape Horn in March. I understand the weather will be pretty chilly and windy in the southernmost ports. If anyone has done this trip, is a waterproof shell on top of a couple of layers sufficient? And, what footwear would you recommend?

Our trip was in January, 2009. We had excellent weather, sunny but cool temps, low 40's, high 30's. The sea days going around were pretty windy which made it seem colder if you were out on upper decks. Our only rainy, cold day was in Ushuaia, but by late afternoon it the sun had come out so temps warmed a little. I wore jeans with a long sleeved shirt, heavy pullover and rain jacket. For shoes I wore a pair of sneaker- like walking shoes.

Our trip went from Port Canaveral to LA so we had quite the mix of weather. The temps for the two days in Buenos Aires were in the high 90's.

I hope you have a great trip!

Sherri:)

We will be sailing to South American ports and going around Cape Horn in March. I understand the weather will be pretty chilly and windy in the southernmost ports. If anyone has done this trip, is a waterproof shell on top of a couple of layers sufficient? And, what footwear would you recommend?

Layers are definitely the way to go on this cruise, as you could be seeing a range of weather conditions.

Our only cold port last Feb was Stanley, where I wore the goose down jacket I wore to the airport from home, toque, and gloves - and I think I was the only person who was warm that day. It was cold, wet and windy. Hard to believe that only a few days before, the temperature reached 100 in Puerto Madryn!

You will also need to dress warm for standing on deck while going around the Horn. Otherwise, the weather was hot to short sleeve pleasant.

As to shoes, again you will go through the whole range. Sandals to good, waterproof hiking boots, depending on what you are planning. You could be walking on wet rocks, climbing mountains, or walking through slimy penguin poop. If you are less adventuresome, you could be fine with sneakers.

The day we were it Ushuaia, it was a beautiful, sunny 68 degrees, and the locals were all beaming. They said that kind of day was extremely rare.

In Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas we wore light jackets.

Did South America in 2008. I wore light long sleeves and an Eddie Bauer down vest thing. We live in Texas and are not use to cold weather but that little vest thing kept me warm enough that that is all I needed. I had a coat with me but never put it on. I didn't take short sleeves but you will need it for the more northern ports. It was HOT at them.