POM - Check in early or late? What's better with Carnival?

Tammyd549

I'm looking for some Carnival specific advice, this is why I'm posting here.

Still trying to decide if we should attempt to board at our designated 11-11:30 slot (Jan 8th sailing on Vista) or wait until around 1pm. Don't want to go much later than that as we have to check out of our hotel at noon. FTTF is sold out and we don't have priority boarding and I'm looking to avoid waiting around with my toddler.

Would love to hear about people who have recently boarded a Carnival Ship at port of Miami and their wait times. I know this can vary cruise to cruise and change to due other variables but, just looking for a general idea.

Tia!

You say that you have the 11-11:30 slot, understand that is a CHECK-IN time, is is NOT a boarding time. It's possible that that they will start boarding around that time and you could be zone 1 or 2. But you would wait for wedding parties, diamond, platinum and then FTTF before they start calling zones. If you want to wait you can, honestly if that's what you choose to do, maybe change your check-in time to 1:00/1:30 and chances are you will be able to check-in and board all at once.

Just a thought. Regardless, enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You say that you have the 11-11:30 slot, understand that is a CHECK-IN time, is is NOT a boarding time. It's possible that that they will start boarding around that time and you could be zone 1 or 2. But you would wait for wedding parties, diamond, platinum and then FTTF before they start calling zones. If you want to wait you can, honestly if that's what you choose to do, maybe change your check-in time to 1:00/1:30 and chances are you will be able to check-in and board all at once.

Just a thought. Regardless, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, I do realize that. I'm just curious about the wait times to board with the new system and a little gun shy as my last cruise with Carnival (albeit a LONG time ago) was about a 3-4hour wait to board and I'm trying to avoid that at all cost with my LO in tow.

Just trying to get a feel for the average wait to board at 11 vs 1pm.

It must way way different for you Americans.

In Sydney, a check in time is check in time. Check in then board.

Every one is kept outside the passenger terminal building until it is their check in time then you enter the building, pass immigration, get to the check in counter, if you have already checked in on line, they hand over the sail and sign card then you board the ship.

Check in is staggered so there is no waiting.

Thanks, I do realize that. I'm just curious about the wait times to board with the new system and a little gun shy as my last cruise with Carnival (albeit a LONG time ago) was about a 3-4hour wait to board and I'm trying to avoid that at all cost with my LO in tow.

Just trying to get a feel for the average wait to board at 11 vs 1pm.

I was in Galveston a couple of weeks ago. I checked in about 10:15/10:30. Didn't board till almost noon. I had FTTF. I think the later your check-in time, the quicker the process.

POM is not staggering check-in for all ships so only Vista will be doing it. Since Vista isn't even here yet, it's hard to speculate.

Still trying to decide if we should attempt to board at our designated 11-11:30 slot (Jan 8th sailing on Vista) or wait until around 1pm. Don't want to go much later than that as we have to check out of our hotel at noon. FTTF is sold out and we don't have priority boarding and I'm looking to avoid waiting around with my toddler.

Would love to hear about people who have recently boarded a Carnival Ship at port of Miami and their wait times. I know this can vary cruise to cruise and change to due other variables but, just looking for a general idea.

Tia!

Hi Tammy

If you don't feel any urgency to be onboard ASAP, you would be much better off waiting till after 1p.m. The real crowd will have thinned significantly because of the staggered check procedure. The big wait for everyone is waiting for them to start letting people on the ship. Once this starts the people move fast.

Don't change your "check-in" time to a later time, with the earlier time you will be allowed to check in as soon as you arrive and you will be able to board once all your paperwork is completed.

If you get there a little after 1p.m., by the time you get on the ship your cabin should be ready, (usually around 1:30 p.m.) with little standing/sitting around waiting.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Tia!

11-1130 is a good time because they start boarding around noon.

Hi Tammy

If you don't feel any urgency to be onboard ASAP, you would be much better off waiting till after 1p.m. The real crowd will have thinned significantly because of the staggered check procedure. The big wait for everyone is waiting for them to start letting people on the ship. Once this starts the people move fast.

Don't change your "check-in" time to a later time, with the earlier time you will be allowed to check in as soon as you arrive and you will be able to board once all your paperwork is completed.

If you get there a little after 1p.m., by the time you get on the ship your cabin should be ready, (usually around 1:30 p.m.) with little standing/sitting around waiting.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thanks, this helps alot! :)

FTTF is sold out and we don't have priority boarding

FTTF may open back up as the cruise date gets closer. Check VERY early the day after final payments are due. Then check back often. Someone on your roll call may also post if it opens.

The day after final payment openings sold out very fast for us, but just a few days ago it opened up again. They release a number of FTTF based on the number of platinum and diamond guests booked.

FTTF may open back up as the cruise date gets closer. Check VERY early the day after final payments are due. Then check back often. Someone on your roll call may also post if it opens.

The day after final payment openings sold out very fast for us, but just a few days ago it opened up again. They release a number of FTTF based on the number of platinum and diamond guests booked.

I think they release FTTF on how much money carnival wants to make :eek:.