Question about Havana area on Vista

LisaLisa87

Hi everyone. We just booked our first Carnival cruise, on the Vista in April 2018. I've read a lot of threads about the ship, but I still have one question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for. I understand that the Havana pool area opens to everyone on the ship at 7pm. My question is whether everyone has access to the walkway that runs alongside the patios of the Havana cabana rooms from 7pm on. I've read conflicting accounts and would love to get first hand information from people who've stayed in this area. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone. We just booked our first Carnival cruise, on the Vista in April 2018. I've read a lot of threads about the ship, but I still have one question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for. I understand that the Havana pool area opens to everyone on the ship at 7pm. My question is whether everyone has access to the walkway that runs alongside the patios of the Havana cabana rooms from 7pm on. I've read conflicting accounts and would love to get first hand information from people who've stayed in this area. Thank you!

There is an access area at the start of the Havana cabins (outside) which is where only people booked in a Havana room are supposed to use until 7 PM

There is an access area at the start of the Havana cabins (outside) which is where only people booked in a Havana room are supposed to use until 7 PM

So anyone who goes through the pool area has free access to the walkway after 7pm? If that's the case we may switch to a different room. I don't like the idea that anyone could step over the low "fence" to our patio during the night -- especially since our 13-year old will be sleeping just on the other side of the sliding door.

So anyone who goes through the pool area has free access to the walkway after 7pm? If that's the case we may switch to a different room. I don't like the idea that anyone could step over the low "fence" to our patio during the night -- especially since our 13-year old will be sleeping just on the other side of the sliding door.

So far, the reports (with video) have been that very few people use this walkway. I would wait for Caribbean reports to come out before making judgment. Also, your sliding door to your cabin locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe they can (walk thru) but the slider (and that is exactly what it is) locks automatically (there is a separate keycard to open it Fron the outside if you returned that way). We had someone in our group stay in one of these rooms on our Med cruise (and we are staying in the exact same room in April - so I can post many pics) and the slider is VERY secure. I would not have any reservations about security.

So far, the reports (with video) have been that very few people use this walkway. I would wait for Caribbean reports to come out before making judgment. Also, your sliding door to your cabin locks.

I believe they can (walk thru) but the slider (and that is exactly what it is) locks automatically (there is a separate keycard to open it Fron the outside if you returned that way). We had someone in our group stay in one of these rooms on our Med cruise (and we are staying in the exact same room in April - so I can post many pics) and the slider is VERY secure. I would not have any reservations about security.

Thank you for your replies. I'm anxiously awaiting Caribbean reviews with photos! I'm not concerned that someone will be able to get into the room. I read that someone had an experience where some kids banged on their slider during the night. That would be disconcerting, to say the least! I also don't like the idea of not being able to leave anything on the patio, but that's a more minor concern.

Edited by LisaLisa87

We have stayed in a Cabana.

Can they, Yes.

Do they, No

But if it's a concern I'd suggest you book another room and let someone that would be more relaxed in that type of room stay there.

Edited by fuddrules

Yes and No, you have to have an entry card for the terrace that passes by the cabins, from coming from the front. We had a cabin in Havana Club (5210) and the doors at the entry to the Havana cabin area require a separate key card to open. However coming from the Havana pool area you can walk by the cabins. I never noticed anyone coming from the pool to the cabins however. Strange set up. You will get a Havana Club bracelet, and staff does watch for them. No worries I would say.

Yes and No, you have to have an entry card for the terrace that passes by the cabins, from coming from the front. We had a cabin in Havana Club (5210) and the doors at the entry to the Havana cabin area require a separate key card to open. However coming from the Havana pool area you can walk by the cabins. I never noticed anyone coming from the pool to the cabins however. Strange set up. You will get a Havana Club bracelet, and staff does watch for them. No worries I would say.

Great. Thanks for your response!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Vista Transatlantic. Some evenings we strolled around the entire Lanai. As we walked by the Havana Cabins, we were surprised by the lack of privacy. On one night, all but one cabin had the curtains closed. One had the curtain open and we were able to see everything through the slider. As we walked another night, there was a couple sitting on their deck talking. Again, no privacy.

We might consider a Havana cabin on deck 7 in the future but never one on deck 5.

We were on Vista Transatlantic. Some evenings we strolled around the entire Lanai. As we walked by the Havana Cabins, we were surprised by the lack of privacy. On one night, all but one cabin had the curtains closed. One had the curtain open and we were able to see everything through the slider. As we walked another night, there was a couple sitting on their deck talking. Again, no privacy.

We might consider a Havana cabin on deck 7 in the future but never one on deck 5.

I figure it's like a front porch, not a balcony. We are looking forward to a different experience and we've got 5 of them in a row so safety in numbers!

I figure it's like a front porch, not a balcony. We are looking forward to a different experience and we've got 5 of them in a row so safety in numbers!

I agree, it's like a front yard. We are very social people and don't mind having people walking past our lanai. We might just invite them in for a drink. The more social people are, the more fun it will be for us.

Thank you for your replies. I'm anxiously awaiting Caribbean reviews with photos! I'm not concerned that someone will be able to get into the room. I read that someone had an experience where some kids banged on their slider during the night. That would be disconcerting, to say the least! I also don't like the idea of not being able to leave anything on the patio, but that's a more minor concern.

Booking standard balconies doesn't always guarantee privacy. On one cruise, some college kids figured out how to open the dividers on the balconies and opened them all the way down our deck. They ran up and down banging on all the glass doors, ours included! Scared me to death! Once security was alerted, we never had a problem the rest of the cruise. The only way to avoid that for certain is getting an inside cabin. People could always go down the interior hall knocking on doors as well! Just enjoy the Havana Cabana. Cruise ships are very safe! I wouldn't worry at all.

OP, I have the same questions and concern as you. I'm booked on Deck 5 in a Havana Cabana Suite for February 2018. I did have Deck 6 aft booked for a Havana Balcony but decided this is very unique and will give it a try.

I'm not really social (my dh is but he isn't sailing with me) and neither is my mom that I will be sailing with but love the fact the Havana area is right there (we sail NCL in Haven so it's somewhat like being in the Haven) and just won't leave anything out on the deck at night.

Can't wait to see some reviews and pictures when it does the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for that info - I'm getting closer to the answers I'm looking for. We will be in Cabin 5210 on January 8, 2017 (so excited). Could I just ask a couple of questions, please?

If you are coming from the Plaza area, do you have to walk out to the pool area and around to the cabin? Or is there a "short cut?"

Is the sliding door only lockable from the inside or can a keycard be used from the outside?

Thanks again.

Thank you so much for that info - I'm getting closer to the answers I'm looking for. We will be in Cabin 5210 on January 8, 2017 (so excited). Could I just ask a couple of questions, please?

If you are coming from the Plaza area, do you have to walk out to the pool area and around to the cabin? Or is there a "short cut?"

Is the sliding door only lockable from the inside or can a keycard be used from the outside?

Thanks again.

This is what I have read from several accounts of people that have stayed in a Havana cabin on deck 5. If you go out on the patio and shut the door it does lock. They give you a special keycard to open the door from the patio side.

Thanks again.

There is a regular inside hallway to the cabins at both ends. Doors for privacy to your hallway. Once in the hallway, just like other decks with insides on one side and cabanas on the other side.

For the person concerned about privacy on the patios. Even if no one else comes through that area, your patio is accessible to your neighbors. You all share that walkway from your patio to the glassed in railing.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back and were in 5206. No one came by at night and they can't get through the gate by 5202 unless they know to press the button on it nor can they walk in that way without a white card to open it.

The ones who may have an issue is the high numbers as they are closer to the pool.