First time with P&O

north east girl

We haven't used the cabin you are asking about but have have recently returned from a lovely cruise on Britannia. We only used the main dining room and Sindhu and the food was very good. In the MDR there was always a good choice and was nicely presented on hot plates (always a plus for me). It wasn't 5* dining but we didn't pay 5* star prices. On one occasion, one of our dining companions didn't like what she had chosen, the waiter immediately took it away and quickly brought her second choice. We did have some really good meals. Sindhu was excellent and we will be trying it on Azura next May. Our whole experience on Britannia was really good and would go on her in a heartbeat.

Haven't been on Britannia, but with regards to the food on P&O, it's always been pretty decent, if predictable. But was on a med cruise in September and I think it had improved. I would never class the food as bad. The buffet is a pain. No matter what time you go for breakfast, the buffet is always busy. But the MDR is decent enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone cruised Britannia suite corner cabin deck G? What are they like?

Been reading some good and bad reviews in regard to food.

Hope I haven't made the wrong decision.

Catherine

If you are in a rear suite (right at the very back of the ship) on G deck then you will be right above the Live Lounge. I have read reviews that the noise disturbance, which goes on until the early hours (it becomes the night club), is excessive. We have booked an aft suite on F deck (one level up) and are concerned about it (it was the last one available) for this reason. You may wish to consider relocating if noise is an issue for you.

As for food, Britannia is a foodies paradise but, sadly, this relates mostly to the select (extra cost) restaurants. The main dining room experience is under-whelming. Portion sizes are very small and service (in freedom dining) rushed and impersonal. If you go without high expectation, it is fine. Sadly, we can recall the days when it was so much better!

If you are in a rear suite (right at the very back of the ship) on G deck then you will be right above the Live Lounge. I have read reviews that the noise disturbance, which goes on until the early hours (it becomes the night club), is excessive. We have booked an aft suite on F deck (one level up) and are concerned about it (it was the last one available) for this reason. You may wish to consider relocating if noise is an issue for you.

As for food, Britannia is a foodies paradise but, sadly, this relates mostly to the select (extra cost) restaurants. The main dining room experience is under-whelming. Portion sizes are very small and service (in freedom dining) rushed and impersonal. If you go without high expectation, it is fine. Sadly, we can recall the days when it was so much better!

When did you last go on Britannia we returned last Friday and the food in MDR was very good unless you are a glutten and the service in Freedom dining was excellent and certainly wasnt rushed and impersonal. Every night at start of meal your 2 waiters introduced themselves and for first time in long time on P&O even after dessert they asked if you wanted cheese and biscuits and served sweets/cocoloates at end of meal with coffee.

When did you last go on Britannia we returned last Friday and the food in MDR was very good unless you are a glutten and the service in Freedom dining was excellent and certainly wasnt rushed and impersonal. Every night at start of meal your 2 waiters introduced themselves and for first time in long time on P&O even after dessert they asked if you wanted cheese and biscuits and served sweets/cocoloates at end of meal with coffee.

We were last on Britannia in July this year. However I have noticed a number of comments in the last few weeks, including yours, that things have markedly improved. I hope that's the case as we had almost given up on main dining rooms for dinner, preferring to use the excellent select dining venues instead (other than lunch, when we use the main dining room but experienced the issues I described).

Lucky you!! Weve just been on the Britannia in a front suite which was amazing but my other half fancies an aft suite next time as weve been on the back of the ship twice before in a delux cabin.We loved the Epicurean in the morning. Totally spoiled by the lovely staff. We opted for freedom dining and found the food very good. In fact we didn't have a bad meal. I tend to go for the soup starters and fish mains to keep the weight down and the other half likes his steaks. We didn't rate our butler who in fairness was new to the job ,however, I did get a lot of advice from fellow cruisers on cruise critic before we sailed. He brought me slices of lemon for my morning brew and a carton of milk now and again for the fridge. The canapes were a nice touch but a bit hit and miss when they arrived. We booked our own meal at Sindhu taking advantage of the 30% off on the first night which was excellent. We didn't eat in our room as we like to get out and about and the outside dining area was tiny plus the weather wasn't too good.However, the butler brought the menus for the MDR most days.

I booked this cabin because it was the last one available. The balcony looks amazing, hope I will get lots of use out if it.

Will take some ears plugs, hopefully won't hear the noise then.

As long as the food is served hot I will be happy.

Will try it and see for ourselves wether we like P&O and Britannia.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Catherine

Lucky you!! Weve just been on the Britannia in a front suite which was amazing but my other half fancies an aft suite next time as weve been on the back of the ship twice before in a delux cabin.We loved the Epicurean in the morning. Totally spoiled by the lovely staff. We opted for freedom dining and found the food very good. In fact we didn't have a bad meal. I tend to go for the soup starters and fish mains to keep the weight down and the other half likes his steaks. We didn't rate our butler who in fairness was new to the job ,however, I did get a lot of advice from fellow cruisers on cruise critic before we sailed. He brought me slices of lemon for my morning brew and a carton of milk now and again for the fridge. The canapes were a nice touch but a bit hit and miss when they arrived. We booked our own meal at Sindhu taking advantage of the 30% off on the first night which was excellent. We didn't eat in our room as we like to get out and about and the outside dining area was tiny plus the weather wasn't too good.However, the butler brought the menus for the MDR most days.

Thanks for your reply, it's very informative. Looks like we are in for a treat being in a suite. Only booked for the balcony, great size on the corner with two doors to the outside. I've managed to see the cabin on utube, very good size. Separate toilet is a plus, also shower and bath.

You get a lot for your money in comparison to Cunard. I like that you get coffee and tea making in the cabin. Love having a cuppa first thing on a morning. Can only try it for ourselves.

Catherine

We haven't used the cabin you are asking about but have have recently returned from a lovely cruise on Britannia. We only used the main dining room and Sindhu and the food was very good. In the MDR there was always a good choice and was nicely presented on hot plates (always a plus for me). It wasn't 5* dining but we didn't pay 5* star prices. On one occasion, one of our dining companions didn't like what she had chosen, the waiter immediately took it away and quickly brought her second choice. We did have some really good meals. Sindhu was excellent and we will be trying it on Azura next May. Our whole experience on Britannia was really good and would go on her in a heartbeat.

Thanks Jennizor, it's nice to hear that you had a good time. Haven't been to the Fjords before, hoping to get loads of use of the corner balcony.

We've done freedom dining with RCI before so we know how it works. Hardly ever had to wait with then, hoping it's going to be the same on Britannia.

Will enjoy doing some research on the ports of call.

Catherine

Haven't been on Britannia, but with regards to the food on P&O, it's always been pretty decent, if predictable. But was on a med cruise in September and I think it had improved. I would never class the food as bad. The buffet is a pain. No matter what time you go for breakfast, the buffet is always busy. But the MDR is decent enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply about the food, I'm sure I will be able to find something I will like. We tend to sleep late, may even order room service.

Looking forward to trying a different cruise line.

Catherine

Catherine, you can always ask your Butler, which you will have in a suite, to serve a late breakfast for you. That way if you want anything cooked you can have it whereas Room Service breakfast does not include any hot items - mainly cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt etc. You can arrange with the Butler what time you want your breakfast - providing it's not at noon! You will also have the advantage of having breakfast in the Select Dining Restaurant, The Epicurean. This is just for suite passengers and although the menu is fairly small it's all freshly cooked and is wonderful. I can't remember the hours that breakfast is served in there, they differ as to whether it's a sea day or a port day, but do try it.

Catherine, you can always ask your Butler, which you will have in a suite, to serve a late breakfast for you. That way if you want anything cooked you can have it whereas Room Service breakfast does not include any hot items - mainly cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt etc. You can arrange with the Butler what time you want your breakfast - providing it's not at noon! You will also have the advantage of having breakfast in the Select Dining Restaurant, The Epicurean. This is just for suite passengers and although the menu is fairly small it's all freshly cooked and is wonderful. I can't remember the hours that breakfast is served in there, they differ as to whether it's a sea day or a port day, but do try it.

Thanks annieuk, will definitely try the Epicurean for breakfast. Thanks for the tip about the butler doing breakfast for us, good to know.

Catherine