Concierge Rooms On Magic With No Noise Above

partsgal

I just cruised on the Magic out of New York. I must say it was a great cruise. The grandkids had a wonderful time.Concierge was great. Only problem, noise from above. I'm planning another one in 2018 if Magic goes out of N.Y. My question, we were in 8078, 8080 any suggestions from cruisers who have cruised concierge on any quieter rooms? I got spoiled and will only cruise concierge. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

That has been an issue since day 1 on the Magic although some people are more bothered than others and it seems to be worse on some cruises than others.

The only way I know to avoid most of it is to get an aft room (Cabanas will be above you). THe noise is coming from the pool deck cleaning. You can't go forward (under the spa) because those are the cat 4 cabins. But there are some non-HA 1 bedroom suites that are under Cabanas, where the noise will be minimal during normal sleeping hours (yes, they clean and set up, but that's not like moving deck furniture.)

The thing that leaves me puzzled is why it seems so much worse on some cruises than on others......

Thanks Moki. We were aft under the beverage station. Concierge did everything possible to eliminate the noise. I really give them credit. One night I even went upstairs and could not find where the noise was coming from. Some nights quiet others not so. I guess after speaking with other concierge guests. I had the better of the rooms. Do you think a 2 bedroom would be quieter?

While I have been physically in the Walt suite (2 bedroom), I have never booked or slept in one. Based on location on the Magic, I don't think there would be much difference between a one and a 2 bedroom midship. There is supposedly a lot of insulation above the suites to help with noise issues, but obviously not enough.

Thanks Moki. We were aft under the beverage station. Concierge did everything possible to eliminate the noise. I really give them credit. One night I even went upstairs and could not find where the noise was coming from. Some nights quiet others not so. I guess after speaking with other concierge guests. I had the better of the rooms. Do you think a 2 bedroom would be quieter?

We were in a 2 bedroom suite, starboard side, on the Magic out of NYC in 2012 and didn't have any noise issues. We had a cat. S not a cat. R, the cat. S is forward not midship.

Forward on the Magic is not a problem at all...assuming normal seas, not outrunning a hurricane!

Above the forward cabins--over the bridge is the fitness center. Over the cat 4s is the spa area. Between the midship elevators and the forward elevators is the Quiet Cove pool and Cove Cafe area (the adult only area).

Thanks Belle. What is above the 2 bedroom suites? Did you have any issues with being forward on Magic. Sometimes it can be rocky. I really appreciate your feedback. Everyone is so helpful.

Over both cat. S's is the seating area around the adult pool. It is near the forward elevator lobbies but I've never had a noise issue being near any of the elevator lobbies.

No movement issues when we sailed out of NYC and I easily get motion sickness.

I sort of agree, but my only option is cruising out of N.Y. I will not fly with the little kids, way to stressful. I enjoyed concierge very much. I guess I will rebook the same rooms when it is time. I feel midship and forward have their own problems. After talking with the concierge guests, I feel I had the better room with the least noise. I guess I'll bring earplugs!! Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the feedback.

Would a fan or white noise machine help?

We had a room on the Magic with a "creak" sound whenever the ship moved. We'd had noises before, but this was a loud, keep me up all night noise. THe host and housekeeping supervisor got involved and ultimately found the source. They gave it a temporary fix. I didn't care that it was temporary and done with cardboard as the noise stopped!

I had a room purifier as I have issues with the air on the ship. It was noisy but not enough to drown out the noise. Everyone on board was involved to try to find the noise.. As I said before they really tried everything . It was strange as some nights it woke me up, and other nights not. My daughter was in room next to us and had issues also. Fortunately it didn't bother the kids and didn't bother them as much as me. Being a light sleeper is lousy!!!

The noise I had on Magic, room 8080 was periodic. Started between 10 pm until 12pm. Not all the time. Sounded like a cart rolling and scrapping of chair. Sometimes jumping up and down. One night I heard around 3 am.Hotel supervisor had chairs and tables roped off between 10pm to 7am in morning. Helped on some nights. I even went up one night to investigate . Could find nothing. Everyone on staff was aware of problem and tried their best. I'm a light sleeper.My daughter and her family had room 8078 and experienced the same. Didn't affect the kids or them much. I guess I'm the complainer! I spoke to others in concierge, seems we all had some sort of noise from above.I feel our rooms were the least noisy ( some heard music, others ping pong playing, scraping of chairs etc.) To be honest the concierge perks for me with my grand kids was worth the noise.I would do it again. Hope I helped.

Yes, it helps. I'm wondering what DCL was thinking when they designed their ships and put the top suites where they did. (Magic and Wonder 's below a public deck, Dream and Fantasy 's so high and forward). The 'creakiest' and noisiest suite we ever had was on the Dream (deck 12, next to roy suite). Imho, the quietest and most stable location is midship and not too high.

But I have to agree with you, the suite perks may outweigh the noise.

Could someone be more specific about the noise? Was it running, chairs being moved, creaking, did it last all day, all night? We were just starting to look at a cruise in a 1 bed suite on the wonder. We'd rather not pay premium $$ for a sleepless trip.

the first cruise, we were in one of the midship 1 bedrooms - i think 8534?

i have to look at a map

anyway, the noise was at some point during the night? maybe 4 in the morning?

i really don't know as it woke me up but i didn't look at a clock..

as i mentioned earlier, no one else woke up (DD, DS, DH) only me...

it must have been around 4, since i then had trouble going back to sleep..

it sounded like deck chairs being moved around....but i never went up to look at what was above us...

something also woke me in the walt disney suite (8030)...probably the same thing..

the cleaning that goes on in the middle of the night..

but again, only i was woken, no one else..

i think the rocking of the ship helps to counter the noise....like a baby rocked in a cradle..

as for the suite perks, we sailed 3 times in concierge and since then, we've sailed 5 times in regular staterooms..

i find i don't miss the 'perks' at all...

i find the service to be excellent regardless of stateroom category..

Edited by alaska_planner

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to this party, but I was in 8016 last month and the first two nights there was banging around at 3 am-ish. I was in the smaller of the two bedrooms and it was right over my head. My mother heard it in the master bedroom and it was more dull. I can't even guess what was going on. Some sort of repair to the pool area??