Post Cruise In Miami Beach

GeneD

As of now we are planning our 50th wedding anniversary cruise on the Enchantment of the seas Aug. 21st.-25. Post cruise we want to stay in Miami Beach for the 25th and 26th (a Sat. & Sun.) and then return to CNY. Royal Caribbean has set us up tentatively at a Courtyard Miami beach South Beach.Not real sure about the hotel. Wanting to spend around $200 $300- I have been looking at other venues but they cost a little more. The Betsy - construction noise may be done by an Aug. 2017 stay, and is at the upper end of what we want to spend. The Hampton Inn 17th St, and The Dream also has won my attention. It really is confusing on just where to stay.

My head is reeling. Don't know what things to do but enjoy shopping, pool, some beach as wife likes to collect shells, mostly just want a nice clean quiet place with some amenities so we can chill out for two days and have a great meal on the 26th.

I welcome any and all recommendations as to where to stay. I do find in reading reviews that there are numerous add on fees. I am imagining even though we are not great beach people fees could put Miami Beach out of sight.. Does booking a post cruise hotel through Royal Caribbean make sense and can doing so save Money?

Again any insight or advice as to where to stay in Miami Beach would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. Oh and as 70+ people walking 2 or 3 long blocks can be a challenge.

Gene

Blue Herons is a frequent poster on this board and a south FLA local - check her blog for suggestions. For a 50th anniversary I suspect you can do much better than a Courtyard; in August prices should be relatively cheap.

Edited by JohninDC

The Betsy is a REALLY nice, swank hotel that would do very nicely for your anniversary trip!

August is dead season for us and hotel prices can really plummet if you book last minute.

I actually really like the Courtyard Marriott South Beach but make sure it is the South Beach location and not the Miami Beach location.

You have a very nice budget for that time of year and I've seen The Loews, The Shore Club, The Delano, Mondrian, and The Ritz-Carlton (SB) in that range for that time of year.

The South Beach area of Miami Beach is a great location to stay, provided that you can find reasonably priced accommodation. We normally use Expedia to search for hotels in a specific district and price range. We then sort the result set by "Guest Rating" and check out the guest comments on the highest rated hotels. This approach has worked well for us.

http://MiamiFlorida.ca

Blue Herons and Everyone. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just the info I was looking for. I really am leaning toward stretching my budget and popping for the Betsy and hoping that the construction is done. I will ask The TA at Royal Caribbean if they participate with them and get a discount but I am willing to forgo RC for a reservation and call to see if I can get a reduction in the rate myself. The Betsy reviews make the property sound just what we are looking for. Not really swanky people but ready to be looked after after taking care of our family (1-96yo) for so long. Only have a 50th anniversary once!

Blue Herons and Everyone. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just the info I was looking for. I really am leaning toward stretching my budget and popping for the Betsy and hoping that the construction is done. I will ask The TA at Royal Caribbean if they participate with them and get a discount but I am willing to forgo RC for a reservation and call to see if I can get a reduction in the rate myself. The Betsy reviews make the property sound just what we are looking for. Not really swanky people but ready to be looked after after taking care of our family (1-96yo) for so long. Only have a 50th anniversary once!

I would call the hotel directly, tell them it is your 50th Anniversary, explain your fears, and see what they can do.

You have nothing to lose appealing to them directly.

The hotel used to be The Betsy Ross until about ten years ago when the hotel got a massive $200 million makeover and went luxury.

LT Steak (used to be BLT Steak, not sure why they dropped the B) is also very good. Fantastic people watching on the front of this hotel.

BlueHerons,

I did get in contact with the Betsy and their rate is $311.00 with a $20 resort fee and 14% tax so around $375/day. for that time of year. So I will have to keep looking. The restaurant sounds good so maybe for the 26th unless we can find a another steakhouse in the area That might be closer to a hotel we will stay at.

Any other suggestions? I've been reading about the pedestrian mall on 8th street I believe. Is that a shopping area or restaurants. I will say that the Courtyard Marriott South Beach while not near a beach looks to be in the area that most people gravitate to. Again any help in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene