The Liberty Sits In Galveston.

BallFour4

I have had some friends have to change flights and they are only covering the change fee and not the difference in fare

you seriously have the WORST luck when it comes to cruising, Letmelivehereplease!!!!!

I had to stay home on a May week long cruise to the Bahamas because my dad was too ill to make the family trip - I've now got an anniversary trip planned Dec 15 and I'm scared to death something will happen health-wise to my folks before then (knock on wood!!) - I had been thinking "Surely not everyone is doing great!" but after reading your baby waiting cruise thread and now the Liberty cancellation I am not feeling very confident!!!!

Essentially, everyone is getting a 200% refund; full refund of the price paid and a future cruise credit equal to 100% of the price paid. Isn't this fair compensation considering all the headaches everyone has to endure?

At what point would you call it even?

I am not saying Carnival is not being generous, I am speaking for the here and now of today. Yes they got 200% back and that is great, but what happens if people budget for certain things and have only so much money? Some people, like me, do not use credit cards, l save for a year to travel as I am a single mom. That's all I am saying.

I am not saying Carnival is not being generous, I am speaking for the here and now of today. Yes they got 200% back and that is great, but what happens if people budget for certain things and have only so much money? Some people, like me, do not use credit cards, l save for a year to travel as I am a single mom. That's all I am saying.

I completely understand your point. It's probably not going to be 200% for everyone. There will be those who can't plan another vacation during the valid period, there will be some who swear off Carnival and some who swear off cruising for good, regardless of the compensation offered.

Essentially, everyone is getting a 200% refund; full refund of the price paid and a future cruise credit equal to 100% of the price paid. Isn't this fair compensation considering all the headaches everyone has to endure?

Um, if it were me, I'd say we were square! That's just me though.

Probably cheaper to grab a rental car and just enjoy the Houston area for a few nights or even head over to San Antonio. I know I would. If I'm on vacation, I'm definitely having a vacation, one way or another.

Hit Galveston, Houston, maybe a few days on South Padre Island, San Antonio. Why head home so quick...

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I too save and sacrifice throughout the year to cruise.

My house is insured, my car is insured, and my cruise is insured.

It seems to me that monetarily Carnival is being generous. Yes I understand disappointment and I feel for everyone going through that. 200% is generous IMHO.

All the more reason to have travel insurance. If someone doesn't have a cushion in his/her finances for unexpected hiccups in plans then it's crazy to be traveling.

I feel badly for the folks who are having to change plans at the very last minute. DH and I are booked on the Liberty for the 12/17/16 sailing, which is the first after it's scheduled dry dock. It's our first cruise after we had to cancel the one we had planned 5 years ago because of pregnancy complications. I'm really hoping we don't have bad luck again!

It absolutely is. We were on that cruise and I appreciate Carnival keeping us safe. We were kept informed. Got stipends for meals yesterday plus $50 each OBC. And they fed us again last night after we boarded. Not the vacation we planned - and I'm thankful not to be stranded in the ocean. With that being said - there A lot of people complaining- and I honestly don't think they would be happy with anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It absolutely is. We were on that cruise and I appreciate Carnival keeping us safe. We were kept informed. Got stipends for meals yesterday plus $50 each OBC. And they fed us again last night after we boarded. Not the vacation we planned - and I'm thankful not to be stranded in the ocean. With that being said - there A lot of people complaining- and I honestly don't think they would be happy with anything

Sorry your cruise was cancelled but you have a great attitude and nice to hear that they kept you informed.

You can either get a 100% refund for this cruise or book another cruise and have the paid amount applied to that cruise. They are not offering a free cruise.

You can either get a 100% refund for this cruise or book another cruise and have the paid amount applied to that cruise. They are not offering a free cruise.

The way I read it it's NOT one or the other. The cruise is cancelled and they are getting a REFUND (not credit). In addition to that, the price they paid for this cruise will also be CREDITED towards a future 2-5 day cruise.

The way I read it it's NOT one or the other. The cruise is cancelled and they are getting a REFUND (not credit). In addition to that, the price they paid for this cruise will also be CREDITED towards a future 2-5 day cruise.

From John Heald (There is only one way to read this). The only way you will receive a refund is if you don't rebook.

We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival.

Edited by astroboy99

From John Heald (There is only one way to read this)

We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival.

You're missing the sentence that immediately precedes it. Here it is underlined:

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday."

A future cruise credit would be unnecessary if they were only issuing a refund unless they are giving both.

Edited by firemanbobswife

You're missing the sentence that immediately precedes it. Here it is underlined:

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday."

Sure they will provide you with a full refund or apply the amount PAID FOR THIS CRUISE toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival.

Sure they will provide you with a full refund or apply the amount PAID FOR THIS CRUISE toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival.

Well that's not the way I and apparently others see it. Perhaps someone who was actually there can comment. I don't understand why it wouldn't just be a refund then. Or say "Your choice of a full refund OR credit towards a future cruise", but it doesn't. I still read it as both.

from john h facebook

Such a let down for the passengers who were all geared up for a cruise vacation! Some folks may have used their last vacation days:( I know it is something that is completely out of Carnival's control and they are being fair in reimbursing them, but WOW! This is the reason that I don't have a desire to sail on any of the older ships anymore. Ever since the Triumph mess, no thank you! I was recently on the Miracle and that was because I was out voted and manipulated by my Mother to sail her, but that was the last older ship that I will get on. I know mechanics can fail even on new ships, but it's much more likely on the old ships. Just think about how much non-stop work those engines get.

A future cruise credit would be unnecessary if they were only issuing a refund unless they are giving both.

Yes. This has happened in the past where they refund the full fare and offer a free cruise later.

Well that's not the way I and apparently others see it. Perhaps someone who was actually there can comment. I don't understand why it wouldn't just be a refund then. Or say "Your choice of a full refund OR credit towards a future cruise", but it doesn't. I still read it as both.

It could have been worded better. They would much rather have you re-book rather than receive a refund.

This is usually only reserved for cruises gone very badly such as the famous 'Triumph fire cruise'.

Nope. This is from JH FB page. I was right.

"Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise, along with a 100 percent future cruise credit and $90 per person reimbursement representing a previously promised onboard credit and stipend for meals in Galveston yesterday."

Here is the whole post for those who might be wondering about other cruises:

Here is the official statement on Carnival Liberty

The cruise ship Carnival Liberty, which is homeported in Galveston, Texas, is experiencing a technical issue which is affecting the ship’s maximum cruising speed. The issue is only affecting the ship’s speed and all other systems are operating normally. The ship arrived in Galveston yesterday and we have been working with outside technical experts which we brought on to help us confirm our repair plan.

Guests had boarded the vessel yesterday in anticipation of sailing, however, outside technical experts, together with the ship’s technical team, conducted a deeper inspection of one of the diesel generators overnight and uncovered an additional problem not previously known. It has now been determined that one of the alternators cannot be readily fixed. This means the ship will not be able to maintain the sufficient speed needed to operate the itinerary as planned and unfortunately we must cancel today’s cruise.

Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise, along with a 100 percent future cruise credit and $90 per person reimbursement representing a previously promised onboard credit and stipend for meals in Galveston yesterday.

While repairs are ongoing, the itinerary for the ship’s next two voyages will be modified, as well. The Nov. 5 five-day cruise will include a full day call in Cozumel, however, the call in Progreso will be cancelled. The Nov. 10 four-day cruise will include a call in Progreso instead of Cozumel. Guests sailing on these voyages will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund. Voyages departing Nov. 14 and beyond are scheduled to operate their normal itinerary.

We sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption in their vacation plans.

I'm sure not seeing the "OR" in what they wrote:

First sentence says a full refund for the cruise. Second sentences says a 100% credit of the amount paid toward another cruise. No "OR" in there. So I read that as you get both plus a $90 check.

I'm sure not seeing the "OR" in what they wrote:

First sentence says a full refund for the cruise. Second sentences says a 100% credit of the amount paid toward another cruise. No "OR" in there. So I read that as you get both plus a $90 check.

You do. They misread it. See post #47 where is spells it out clearly that it says along with not either or.

From John Heald (There is only one way to read this). The only way you will receive a refund is if you don't rebook.

We ARE getting a full refund AND 100% of that amount credit toward a future 2-5 day

cruise PLUS $90 each- which is the $50 OBC plus $40 meal stipends for yesterday (Monday)

Edited by Baylee