Into the Midnight Sun itinerary

perlgirlnj

I'm also wondering if we could take a taxi to the Varden Panorama and then walk back down. Any ideas if there are taxi's at the port? (The hour-long uphill walk is from the center of town--still have to get from the port to the town-center. If google maps is to be trusted, it's more like 1 hr 25 minutes--uphill.)

This is one of those questions I would ask in the Ports of Call forum or even on Trip Advisor.

Also, renting a car and given a choice of Kristiansund or Alesund (pronounced Ohlesund), I would take Alesund--because of the Art Nouveau buildings, the overlook and a bit out of town, the Sunnemore open air museum (if old huts, farm houses and old ships are of any interest).

I can't imagine that there wouldn't be taxis at the port. Of course, they won't be cheap, as nothing in Norway is, but I would think they'd be waiting around either at where we dock or near the bus station, which is apparently close. I'm guessing Viking's included tour will include a drive up there, but who knows?

I'm always suspicious when tourist offices, especially tourist offices in Europe, state that it will be a particular amount of time to walk anywhere. As an older American, I'm not exactly a speed walker, so I usually add time on to any estimate of walking time I read! Europeans are much more used to walking, I think, so time estimates are suspect! I don't think Google has a way of factoring in elevation change, so it's suspect too! There's a way to see elevation changes using Google Earth, but that gets a little more complicated than I'm up to doing, so I doubt I'll be doing any walking up to a viewpoint! Geiranger is one other place where caution is needed. There are hiking opportunities, but keep in mind they are mostly up, up, up!

We spent a day in Alesund a few years ago and I loved it. However, that won't be at the top of my list this time just because we've been there before, plus it's just a little bit too long a drive for my taste. For others, though, it might be very worthwhile.

The Atlantic Highway interests me (especially one very modern bridge toward the end) but I googled a little and was a little daunted by car rental. So far the cars only seem to be available at the airport, so I may be needing a taxi too!

Regarding taxis in Molde, I found some information that implies taxis ARE available at the port exit, but they're limited & expensive.

Independent cruisers might want to check out this site: cruisecrocodile.com. It has an unusual name, but I'm finding it's pretty helpful. It covers the basics (where cruise ships dock, what's nearby, etc.) for Tromso, Molde, Bergen, Geiranger, and Honnigsvag in Norway, and Kirkwall in Scotland (Orkney).

• 1 month later...