Family cruise on grand princess

venkitac

Hi, we're considering a Mexico cruise with a 7 year old. We found a few posts from 2013 (and before) saying that the children's facilities were not good. Does anyone have more recent experiences with Grand princess (esp on this route)?

Also: we also have a 2 year old. I think princess does not offer babysitting for kids <3. That's not a big deal for us, but we were wondering if their toddler facilities are good (eg pool etc).

Thanks!

Hi, we're considering a Mexico cruise with a 7 year old. We found a few posts from 2013 (and before) saying that the children's facilities were not good. Does anyone have more recent experiences with Grand princess (esp on this route)?

Also: we also have a 2 year old. I think princess does not offer babysitting for kids <3. That's not a big deal for us, but we were wondering if their toddler facilities are good (eg pool etc).

Thanks!

Take a look here for youth program guidelines:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Youth_Guidelines_Registration.pdf

Regarding the 2 year old, Princess only allows toddlers that are fully toilet trained in any pool including splash pools. This is also mentioned in the guidelines.

We've sailed on the Grand a couple of times within the last year. I am not really a huge fan of the ship itself but the staff is incredible so would only imagine they would be good with your kids.

With that said, I have never really thought of this class of ship being really kid friendly, though. I don't see a lot of things for kids to do on that ship.

Plus, the Mexico trip on the Grand is 10 nights and during the school year so you won't see many children onboard. It tends to have little more mature clientele ... maybe an average age of 60-65.

They will have some food choices that I presume your kiddies will love. They even have a little kiddies corner in the buffet .... or at least they did on my last cruise to Mexico on the Grand.

There is nothing so nice as jumping on a cruise when you are so close to the port of SF. That counts for a lot in my book.

If Royal Caribbean did the same itinerary, I would highly recommend that line for young families. But, cruises are what you make out of them and the staff will probably spoil the kiddies like crazy ... they really have an outstanding staff. I just don't think they will have all the bells and whistles or those ships / lines that are more dedicated to attracting younger kids.

Hi we have been on royal Carribean with all the kids bells and whistles and our 7 year old daughter was happy to use the pool an kids club only. We had to almost force her to use the ice skating ring and she was to young for the flow rider and was not interested in rock climbing.

She loves the kids Clubs, the pool, plus the variation in meals and loves the live shows.

Been on Carnival and P&O and the same, all she needs is some live theatre a pool and a kids club. We are booked on Golden princess in December and then again in April. Between what most modern ships have to offer and the new locations to explore I think she will be kept very busy.

I think your 7 year old should be fine, but all kids are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!

While on our last cruise on the Grand (October 2016) I went up to the kids center and spoke with the Pelicans (youngest group) manager. She told me that there were plans to update the kids center while the Grand is in dry dock this December. She didn't have any specific information on what is being done though. They do have daily activities for ages 3 (potty trained) and up.

You can always go with your 2 year old to the kids area - that is totally allowed.

When our daughter turned 3 and we went, we were surprised to receive a little packet with a musical instrument, a book, and a CD (not sure how we were supposed to listen on a cruise since we didnt bring a cd player) one night with the daily patter. A nice touch. They also have a daily schedule with all the events of the cruise for kids, so you can plan some fun activities with the kiddos that are on their level.

Edited by runnerodb83

My Daughter who is now 20 has seemingly grown up on Princess Cruises. I will say that Holiday Sailings, Spring Break and Summer cruises (7 days and under) were the most fun for her due to the number of kids on board. When she was about 7, we took her on a cruise during school in early November :eek:. It actually ended up being one of her favorites for different reasons. She and about 12 other kids in her age group had the facilities to themselves and the staff were wonderful. In all of her cruises with Princess regardless of the time of year, it hard to get her off. I may be in the minority but I think Princess does a great job given the fact that they aren't known for being a Family line. She's a 4th generation Princess Kid. I loved growing up on them too :D

Thanks!

Some parents bring an inflatable mini-pool for the 2 year old. Swim diapers are not allowed in the main pools.

You might consider bringing a teenage babysitter with you. She gets a cruise and you get babysitting. Of course, you will need to have a schedule so she can have some time for herself, but this can work well for some families.

Edited by Tina G