Denali Park tour: Tundra Wilderness, Shuttle bus or Backcounty?

jubjang

The shuttle bus is your best bet, to Wonder Lake if you have the time and particularly if you walk a couple of miles further up the Kantishna road to a great refecting pool. The driver I had on a Denali Backcountry Adventure this past July was by far the worst I've had in 20-25 trips into the park by all 3 methods.

Murray

We did the Tundra Tour in August, 2004 and had a great trip. The tour was somewhat longer than advertized but we saw plenty of wildlife. There is a shorter tour (I forget what it is called) but ours was more than 8 hours. We didn't see much for the first hour but after that it was very interesting. Saw about a dozen bears; 4 were within 30 ft. of the bus for more than 20 minutes. Also saw moose, caribou and dahl (sp?) sheep. There were many forest fires that summer so our views of distant scenery was limited. Still a great trip.

We did the Tundra Tour in August, 2004 and had a great trip. The tour was somewhat longer than advertized but we saw plenty of wildlife. There is a shorter tour (I forget what it is called) but ours was more than 8 hours. We didn't see much for the first hour but after that it was very interesting. Saw about a dozen bears; 4 were within 30 ft. of the bus for more than 20 minutes. Also saw moose, caribou and dahl (sp?) sheep. There were many forest fires that summer so our views of distant scenery was limited. Still a great trip.

Since it sounds like you are independent, I Never recommend the tours, just way too costly vs the shuttle buses, for 1/3 the cost and getting you farther. Bottom line, if you want scenery and wildlife the farther you go the more viewing. So my min. recommendation is Fish Creek via the shuttle. I only recommend going to Kantishna if you over night there.

Archived