Question re: delayed boarding in Port Everglades

Scrappygrrl

Hi all -

We are on the Nov 9 Koningsdam. I knew when we booked there would be a delay in boarding for necessary inspections, etc. We were told 2 pm instead of 1pm boarding. Now they have pushed boarding back further, with that staggered boarding will begin at 3pm, with various decks boarding in 30 min increments. So now I have a lot of time to kill with kids in tow.

Questions:

1) Will the terminal still open at 11 am?

2) Can we drop off luggage leave and come back?

3) We are considering "killing time" by taking our time getting luggage, grab a coffee at Starbucks, change kids into shorts etc. Then go have a nice big breakfast somewhere. Considering eating in a restaurant at a large hotel like the Hyatt Pier 66, so that we can wait in relative comfort in their lobby after eating. Thoughts? Other options I haven't thought of?

Note: I have looked into a day room, hubby said no. Thinks it's a waste of money and that boarding may begin earlier than 3 so we should just go to the terminal and wait.

Hi all -

We are on the Nov 9 Koningsdam. I knew when we booked there would be a delay in boarding for necessary inspections, etc. We were told 2 pm instead of 1pm boarding. Now they have pushed boarding back further, with that staggered boarding will begin at 3pm, with various decks boarding in 30 min increments. So now I have a lot of time to kill with kids in tow.

Questions:

1) Will the terminal still open at 11 am?

2) Can we drop off luggage leave and come back?

3) We are considering "killing time" by taking our time getting luggage, grab a coffee at Starbucks, change kids into shorts etc. Then go have a nice big breakfast somewhere. Considering eating in a restaurant at a large hotel like the Hyatt Pier 66, so that we can wait in relative comfort in their lobby after eating. Thoughts? Other options I haven't thought of?

Note: I have looked into a day room, hubby said no. Thinks it's a waste of money and that boarding may begin earlier than 3 so we should just go to the terminal and wait.

Are you staying in a hotel the night before?

How many kids in tow?

Edited by Lido_Deck

You might consider a rental car for the day. Throw the suitcases into the trunk and take the kids someplace fun for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep...That's my thought. Since boarding is so late, I would board as late as possible and take the day in Ft Lauderdale just like it was a port...BECAUSE IT IS!

You could be in a rental car by 9:00 AM at the airport and head straight to Lester's Diner on SR 84/Marina Mile...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/lesters-diner-fort-lauderdale-2

If you want to go cheap for breakfast there are plenty of fast food places once you get away from the airport.

With a car you could head down to Hollywood for the beach and Broadwalk, but you will have to pay for parking. You could tour through the Margaritaville Hotel and the kids could pay to ride the Flowrider. I would pass on eating lunch in Margaritaville or Landshark since there are plenty of great places to eat all along the Broadwalk such as Nick's where you can sit and people watch while you're enjoying a killer Grouper sandwich or their great cheeseburger. Both of which are big enough to split with the boys as long as you order a basket of fries for them to share.

If you need some last minute supplies, the Margaritaville area is sandwiched between two Walmarts, two miles to the north is one in Dania Beach on Sheridan and one two miles to the south on Hallandale Beach Blvd. I would take I-95 South to Sheridan and head east, stop by Walmart, head east some more and then south on A1A to Hollywood Beach. I would troll up and down the short streets around Margaritaville looking for a parking spot (pay parking) or if you can't find anything park in the public part of the Margaritaville Parking Garage (owned by the City).

~OR~

I would head north to Lauderdale By the Sea...The way Ft Lauderdale used to be...Beach, Pier, Ma & Pa Shops, great independent restaurants right on the beach, a shady pavilion with lots of bench seating just to sit and look out over the beach. You won't find a McDonald's or Taco Bell in LTBS and you won't find any high rise buildings for the one mile of the original LTBS.

http://www.lbts.com/

You're paying a lot of money just to get to Ft Lauderdale, you should take a little time to enjoy it rather than standing around in line at the port with two wound-up anxious boys driving you nuts.

These are excellent suggestions, thanks! I had not thought of renting a car for the day!

Would you rather be standing in line with two anxious boys or picking up seashells on the beach?

Don't forget to pack some heavy duty freezer bags to hold your seashells the boys collect.

Edited by Lido_Deck

These are excellent suggestions, thanks! I had not thought of renting a car for the day!

I just ran a quick search on Budget for picking up at FLL at 9:00 AM and returning at 4:00 PM to the the 17th Street location (free shuttle to PE) and got a "Pay Now" total rate of $46.61 (without discount coded) for an Intermediate SUV or Full Size. Cab fare plus tip from FLL to PE will cost you almost half of that.

I just ran a quick search on Budget for picking up at FLL at 9:00 AM and returning at 4:00 PM to the the 17th Street location (free shuttle to PE) and got a "Pay Now" total rate of $46.61 (without discount coded) for an Intermediate SUV or Full Size. Cab fare plus tip from FLL to PE will cost you almost half of that.

Great tip, thanks! You have been so helpful!

We are actually staying at the Magaritaville resort for one night when we return. I think the boys will love it!