Art Auction on MSC

PaulnKarl

You either love or hate art auctions. If you love them, its because its a fun way with free drinks to pass a couple of hours on a sea day. The art auction on MSC Divina (and soon to be on MSC Seaside) is run by Dreams Fine Art who have galleries in Miami and St. Maarten. This is not an easy company to research, other than turning up at one of the galleries, which I did at St. Maarten. Since being home, I've researched on Ebay some of the artwork they were selling ..... and I could kick myself for not bidding. I buy art at sea and on land, and have been doing so for 20 years - am I a serious collector? ...... enough to know my stuff and to be familiar with many of the artists. Art at Sea has a bad rap, and, IMO, is not to be taken too seriously, and not a place to part with money you cannot afford to be parted from. There was quite a bit of older artwork on our cruise, and I wonder whether it's a clearance outlet for the land galleries. Given that Dreams has zero buyer's premium, and most of the art can be carried off makes it attractive for a flutter (and should earn me some raffle tickets). Compared with other auctions at sea, their bidding seemed fairer, their hammer prices often low. Did I buy anything? No! But I had a good time.

Edited by PaulnKarl

CruiseIreland, thanks for sharing your review and perspective on the Art Auction. Interesting comparison indeed. Ours was very low key - they tried selling some older Peter Max and Dali prints - I don't think there were any takers. Most purchases were $25 - $300. No free cruise raffle, There was a $500 art credit raffle, but it could only be used on new purchases - and the draw was at the end of the last auction - which meant you had 15 minutes to buy while the art was being packed away. I don't drink the champagne but it certainly flowed, but if they hoped it would loosen control on bid cards - it didn't seem to do so :)

Edited by PaulnKarl

Most of the 12 MSC ships have an area identified as an art gallery on one of the lower decks where the shops are. However it's been years since I've seen any "art" exhibited and these areas are all unused. Holdovers from before art exhibits at sea became unpopular. Apparently the cruises out of Miami still have them.