Phuket or Bangkok Thailand

queenL

We are considering a land trip to Thailand (10 days). Because they are so far away from each other we are thinking we may have to choose one or the other. We are leaning towards staying in Bangkok. There seem to be more touristy things to do there. If anybody has been there I'd love to know your opinion about which city to pick?

Bangkok loads to do Phuket seedy

In Bangkok don't believe anyone who tells you that attractions or temples are closed or will not let you in they are trying to rip you off.

Friendly people and good transport all over Bangkok

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Phuket is fantastic for beaches and water and James Bond Island but Bangkok is more about amazing temples and culture . The city is dirty and smelly but amazing! I would choose Phuket but I love the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would do most of the time in the amazing city of Bangkok. If you want to combine that with a beach, there is always Pattaya two hours away. I wouldn't stay in Pattaya proper but head for Jomtien, a 10-minute tuk tuk ride away, and stay at Rabbit Resort. Check it out.

I have been to Bangkok and Pattaya several times, never in Phuket. But check out youtube and you'll see it is an even raunchier place than Pattaya. Whatever floats your boat.

It depends what you want. We have spent the last three winters in Thailand. Bangkok is a fascinating city. Phuket has some OK beaches but Patong is a dump. And it is seedy. Lots of other places to go if you want to get to a beach. We much prefer the beaches on islands south of Phuket....Ko Lanta and especially Ko Lipe. These would involve a flight and a ferry ride.

With ten days you could fly Ko Samui or somewhere more south for a few beach days. Or even train down to Hui Hin for a few nights. Air transport inside Thailand is inexpensive.

Why not get a guidebook from the library or buy one and then do some research and get a better idea of how to spend your time

It it were us, I would spend three full days in Bangkok and then head south to Lanta, Lipe, or both.

Edited by iancal

A few years ago we visited Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phi Phi Island and Phuket. We loved each of the places for different reasons. There is more historical and cultural things to do in Bangkok and Chaing Mai, and more relaxation and water activities in Phi Phi Island and Phuket (we loved our stay at the Indigo Pearl - amazing all around). If you are able, I would say visit both places.