Getaway Illusionarium show

xray121995

We went to Illusionarium show on Getaway last November. The show itself was excellent, but the food they served was sub-par. Also, premium price gets you a seat at long tables in front and center of room. Non- premium seats are in booths at back of room and viewing of show isn't very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you don't mind, could you please describe some of the acts without giving too much away?

It is not simple card tricks, or pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

These ( at least in my opinion ), are Vegas quality acts. The mind-reading mental tricks are mind blowing. We went with another couple and the wife was picked to go on stage. The magic team basically asked her to write down the name of a celebrity, and by asking her 5 questions they figured out who it was, and the female member of the team actually painted it.

it wasn't pre-planned, and it literally freaked our friend out when they had the correct actor.

we had a great time, and I would highly recommend it.

These ( at least in my opinion ), are Vegas quality acts. The mind-reading mental tricks are mind blowing. We went with another couple and the wife was picked to go on stage. The magic team basically asked her to write down the name of a celebrity, and by asking her 5 questions they figured out who it was, and the female member of the team actually painted it.

it wasn't pre-planned, and it literally freaked our friend out when they had the correct actor.

When did you see the show?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow!! We just saw this show this past week and they didn't do anything remotely close to that. It was a really good show but hardly any mentalist tricks. We enjoyed it....although we went to dinner after the show because we didn't like the food (food is subjective though)

Wow!! We just saw this show this past week and they didn't do anything remotely close to that. It was a really good show but hardly any mentalist tricks. We enjoyed it....although we went to dinner after the show because we didn't like the food (food is subjective though)

That's why I asked the previous poster when he'd seen it. This show, just like all others, is subject to changing cast members, contracts, etc.

So what did you see?

That's why I asked the previous poster when he'd seen it. This show, just like all others, is subject to changing cast members, contracts, etc.

So what did you see?

Well I don't want to give much away and ruin it for people. But it was mostly illusions (magic tricks) but on a grand scale. We went to a meet and greet with some of the cast members and we were told that NCL spent 12 million dollars on just the "tricks" themselves (not including the cost of the actual theatre). The illusions were pretty mind blowing.

Well I don't want to give much away and ruin it for people. But it was mostly illusions (magic tricks) but on a grand scale. We went to a meet and greet with some of the cast members and we were told that NCL spent 12 million dollars on just the "tricks" themselves (not including the cost of the actual theatre). The illusions were pretty mind blowing.

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Even if the food is lacking, at least there is bar service!

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Even if the food is lacking, at least there is bar service!

Touche! And a few drinks always makes the food taste better anyway :D

Personally I feel that this show and Million Dollar Quartet are "Do Not Miss" shows on Getaway. Enjoy!

By the way, how early did you line up? Super excited about MDQ, too!

Not early enough! We were running late that day. Show started at 5:30 and we got there at 5:20. We paid for premium seating and were seated all the way on the side in the last row of premium tables (quite an obstructed view). But they noticed that my little ones were straining their necks to see and they moved us to better seating that happened to be available. We got lucky. If you want good seats I would recommend getting there around 5.

Hi, I am thinking about sailing the Gateway as a solo and Illusionarium seems like a show I would be interested in seeing. I know that this might not bother some people, but for me the thought of being seated as a solo with a large family or large group of close friends would totally ruin the experience for me. I would just feel too awkward. Even worse, I think I would die if I was then randomly selected to participate on stage. My question is this: As a solo, would I be forced to be seated with a group of strangers for the duration of the dinner and show? And if so, can anyone offer any tips on how to make this a less awkward experience for me - (such as would it be better to show up 30 mins before the show vs 5 mins before showtime or would it be better to have the cheaper seats vs the more expensive seats, etc., etc.). Also, how can I avoid being selected to participate. Thanks.

Edited by dwnlowbro

My wife and I were selected by the mentalist about a year ago. I must say that it was the most incredible experience. I don't want to give away anything so please stop reading here if you don;t want to know the tricks the mentalist did when I saw him. I have no idea how they were done but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone reading this.

For those of you who kept reading, he had me think of any word in the english language and he had that word written on a piece of paper sitting in front of the stage the entire time. I thought of a celebrity (dead or alive) and he was able to have my wife guess the same celebrity as she wrote down a name on a piece of paper and it matched the name I said. Finally, he had me tear a page from a book and the page was in a sealed envelope that my wife was holding the whole time. To this day I have no idea how it was done and can't recommend going to this show enough. Great show in my opinion, well worth the price.

If you don't mind, could you please describe some of the acts without giving too much away?

The standard "illusion" type acts... bubbles turning into glass...

Disappearing acts... In total, there were 4 magicians in the show. No real "headliner", but they do save the best for last.

Overall, a good show.

The steak is not as good as MDR and no where in the class of Cagney's. If you go to the show, plan on eating elsewhere on ship after the show. It reminded me of food I used to eat in HS cafeteria; mass produced and tasteless.

The steak is not as good as MDR and no where in the class of Cagney's. If you go to the show, plan on eating elsewhere on ship after the show. It reminded me of food I used to eat in HS cafeteria; mass produced and tasteless.

Ouch, that's no good!

Hi, I am thinking about sailing the Gateway as a solo and Illusionarium seems like a show I would be interested in seeing. I know that this might not bother some people, but for me the thought of being seated as a solo with a large family or large group of close friends would totally ruin the experience for me. I would just feel too awkward. Even worse, I think I would die if I was then randomly selected to participate on stage. My question is this: As a solo, would I be forced to be seated with a group of strangers for the duration of the dinner and show? And if so, can anyone offer any tips on how to make this a less awkward experience for me - (such as would it be better to show up 30 mins before the show vs 5 mins before showtime or would it be better to have the cheaper seats vs the more expensive seats, etc., etc.). Also, how can I avoid being selected to participate. Thanks.

The way the tables are set up is long ways facing the stage. They aren't set up for conversation. You can't be seated alone since the tables are so long. You have to volunteer to be selected.

The quality of the acts when I went were really good. To the point, a group I saw while on the ship came in 2nd this year in America's Got Talent show on NBC. "The Clairvoyants" But I do agree I thought the meal was lousy. Dessert included. Lots of smoke and flashing lights.