Premium or nickel and dime cruise line?

Richard Stein

Celebrity brags about being the highest rated popular prices cruise line in the recent Conte Nast poll, which they were. How can they claim to be a premium line when the premium lines do not charge for tips and specialty restaurants. Even HAL or Princess do not ask you to the tip the Tour Director, Coach Driver, Maitre d, and Chief Housekeeper. I will consider them a premium line when they do not nickel and dime me to death. Do you feel the same?

X has garnered the majority of top positions in the CN poll over the last 2-3 years. The 30,000+ annually voting would have been exposed to the "value for price" service offered by X and its competitors. The poll results should incorporate the good, bad and ugly features and a cruiser doing ratings likely has weighed them in proportion to the importance to themselves. If the 'X=nickel and dime' theory was so crucial, why wouldn't the results be different. I'm a happy-Xer and bring plenty of nickels and dimes and use them for services I value.;)

Celebrity brags about being the highest rated popular prices cruise line in the recent Conte Nast poll, which they were. How can they claim to be a premium line when the premium lines do not charge for tips and specialty restaurants. Even HAL or Princess do not ask you to the tip the Tour Director, Coach Driver, Maitre d, and Chief Housekeeper. I will consider them a premium line when they do not nickel and dime me to death. Do you feel the same?

I think tips on a cruise are comparable to stores that have delivery charges. You are paying them one way or another. Sometimes they are included in the purchase price and sometimes they are an additional out of pocket expense.

I don't think X markets itself as a premium line, just a notch above the other mass-market lines. There are deals to be had on the premium lines, to be sure, but they are still priced far higher than Celebrity.

The nickel and diming people always write about on these boards are always for items that are optional. You do not have to be nickeled and dimed unless you want to be. We don't consider gratuity an option and the premium lines that do not suggest it are including it with the cost of the cruise.

I'd have to say, even if we purchased all the extras onboard that the premium lines include, we still would not come close to the price they charge. I one day hope to be able to afford the premium lines, but until then I am glad there is a line like Celebrity that offers an affordable cruise without all the partying, neon, bingo announcements and belly flop contests you have to endure listening to on other lines.

I think that the pricing policies practiced by the cruise lines is a very fair and well thought out system. I know that if the cruise line charged every cruiser for alchoholic drinks, bingo, soda, art auctions, massages, specialty restaurants etc. in the basic cruise price, that you would hear the screaming from Miami to Seattle from those that do not participate in these activities. With the present pricing policies everyone benefits from a lower level of prices, and if you wish to participate in the extra charge activities you can purchase those that you want in the quantity that you desire. With the broad customer base of the major cruise lines, and the various tastes and interests represented, the cruise lines have to make many serious decisions about what to be is included in the basic cruise price.

With respect to the reference to the tipping policy of HAL, they have joined the other mass market cruise lines with respect to the recommended tipping policy. The HAL tipping policy had been confusing for many cruisers when they had their no tipping required policy. HAL service personnel were always dependant on tips for their income.

The OP mentioned Celebrity specifically as to the "nickle and diming", however, I am very happy about their policy of not promoting bingo, art auctions etc. over the public address system.

In Japan tipping is not part of the culture, in Europe tipping is often included as a percentage of your bill and in the US there is a customary expectation that one tip for meal service, taxi, hotel maid service and for other personal services to show appreciation for the quality for such services. Like it or not these are customary methods for rewarding service personnel in various situations in various ethic venues. I don't remember who said it first, but "when in Rome...", and most cruise lines use English language, US dollars and customs. The mass market cruise lines have made a decision to maintain lower basic cruise fares, and let the the cruiser have a means of rewarding exemplary service, or the lack of such service.

petert

I don't think X markets itself as a premium line, just a notch above the other mass-market lines. There are deals to be had on the premium lines, to be sure, but they are still priced far higher than Celebrity.

Kathy, it is actually one of their marketing campaigns and they use the term "premium cruising". On a recent seminar aboard Mercury, it was seen regularly.

In January I booked a CC cabin on the 11/10 Constellation positioning cruise at the price posted. Two months ago they had a happy hour sale and were selling suites for what I paid. They were selling CC cabins for hundreds less than I paid. Brought it up to my agent and the cruise line, no refund no upgrade and I have elite status with them. On HAL if they have a last minute sale I get a refund or upgrade. Don't know if it has happened to you. In the future if I sail with them it will be at happy hour prices.

In my view Celebrity is not a premium line but may be a 1/2 step above the other mass marketed lines. We also have to remember a couple of things about polls, Conte Nest, etc. Who reads Conte Nest? Not really that many and have you noticed how much Celebrity advertises in the magazine? I am not mentioning these issues to knock Celebrity, but to point out, sometimes reading between the lines is the answer. yes, Richard, I think I would have to agree with you and yes, we are going to get blasted for our opinions. NMnita

In January I booked a CC cabin on the 11/10 Constellation positioning cruise at the price posted. Two months ago they had a happy hour sale and were selling suites for what I paid. They were selling CC cabins for hundreds less than I paid. Brought it up to my agent and the cruise line, no refund no upgrade and I have elite status with them. On HAL if they have a last minute sale I get a refund or upgrade. Don't know if it has happened to you. In the future if I sail with them it will be at happy hour prices.
Richard, as an agent I have to agree and not agree with you on this issue: Happy hour sales, which happen every couple of weeks state clearly "new bookings only" so I do understand your not being able to take advantage of that special: on the other hand we booked the Connie a couple of years ago (I was not an agent at the time, had taken a break) I called my agent as I picked up on a price drop: yes, we had made final payment, but were not sailing for about 6 weeks: any discount or upgrade? NOPE!!!I didn't know if I should be pissed with my agent or Celebrity. NMnita

I know how you feel. I wonder how long it will be before we are pressured to slip the Captain a C note during the Captains cocktail party.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tipping the hard working employees. (usually extra when deserving) It just seems we are now subsidizing the management positions, and I have a small problem with that.

I think this is all a matter of perception. One persons premium is another persons luxury. I think x should be including in the price, you prefer to pay separately and another views this as nickel and diming. To me they have it just right, I would prefer the level of opt out and then I am very happy to run a large extras bill but it is driven by the fact I love the martini bar and want to have a collection of photos in the format they now sell them

Richard Stein,

I absolutely despise the calling of optional features, "Nickel and Diming." To me, you get what you pay for. So many people have "stiffed" the waiters etc. on cruises, many lines are now adding the same charges as you now pay as tips to the cruise bill. I wish that would happen with Celebrity too so that people could stop complaining about tipping.

Did you ever go on tour of Europe or tour vacation? They request that you tip the driver as well as the tour director. I must have missed it, but I haven't seen anyplace that Celebrity said to tip the tour director on a shore excursion. (There are no tips requested for the cruise director.) I would do it anyway without being told to do so as a courtesy.

As far as not getting a lower price on a happy hour special, that's what they are for. You book then, you get the price. If you saw that special two months ago, were you already in final payment? If not, you could have cancelled your booking and rebooked. I have gotten reductions on previous cruises even after final payment, but the prices weren't Happy Hour specials.

My thought is that if you dislike all the extra charges, look at the prices of a line that includes all you want and see how much more it is than Celebrity. You might rethink your whole "Nickel and Dime" approach.

Katie

I can see why you might. I hate them already and I haven't even sailed with them yet. A DRASTIC itenirary change (see the status of millennium drydock thread here) is not a indication of a premium line.

Let me first say, Celebrity is my second favorite cruise line and I have cruised every mass marketed line except Princess: that being said, your comments about the itinerary is very true. I do not know why, but Celebrity seems to change ports more than any other line. Do we roll with the punches? yes, because the ports are not the sole or even an important part of our decisons as a rule (sometimes yes) but it is pretty dis-heartening to think you will be going to port 1,2 and 3 just to learn it is A,B and C but wait, now it is back to 1,2 and 3. This seems to happen quite frequently for what appears to be no reason. NMNita

I absolutely despise the calling of optional features, "Nickel and Diming." To me, you get what you pay for. So many people have "stiffed" the waiters etc. on cruises, many lines are now adding the same charges as you now pay as tips to the cruise bill. I wish that would happen with Celebrity too so that people could stop complaining about tipping.

So Nickel and Diming is a result of "stiffing" the waiters, hmm I thought it was a profit motive for the cruise lines?

I really need to agree with you though, I despise the term Nickel and Diming as well, should be more like Fiving and Tenning, as they really don't have anything for a Nickel or a Dime, except maybe a slot machine.

I really love the term Nominal Charge as well, according to the dictionary the word is;

insignificantly small; a matter of form only (`tokenish' is informal); "the fee was nominal"; "a token gesture of resistance"; "a toknenish gesture"

Pretty much every extra is far from nominal, but more like market price, or even better, what the market will bear.

Charging 2.75 for an chino or latte is about what a Starbucks charges, and they are not "Nominal", $6 for a 1 oz shot out of a $6 bottle is not "Nominal", or ice cream or soda or pastry at the coffee shop or photographs or specialty restaurants.

You do realise that eventually they will run out of extras to charge for don't you? Of course by that time the product will not resemble what we call a cruise today.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived