Princess Cruisers trying Carnival for the first time

gnatz007

Shh, don't tell, we feel like we are cheating on our spouse! J/K... I am at a conference, and noticed the Paradise was leaving the day after the conference, so DW and I decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to sneak in a 5 day cruise on the paradise. We have cruised several times on various Princess ships, but never with Carnival.

Rather than start a religious or political battle over which line is better, yada yada, what are the things we MUST do, eat, see, as first time Carnival cruisers. We are going knowing there will be differences, some of them stark, but we don't want to miss any MUST have experiences... or long time favorites of the Carnival community.

Thanks!

Edited by gnatz007

I completely understand because after 7 Carnival cruises, I recently took a Princess cruise. I think you'll find more similarities than differences. Personally, I found the service on Princess to be a little more formal than Carnival. There were some extra touches on Princess, especially in the dining room. I think there's a little more nightlife on Carnival. You might actually find people singing karaoke or dancing in the club late at night. Try the chocolate melting cake. It's legendary. Hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I met a couple on a Canada/New England itinerary on Splendor last year that had previously only cruised Princess. They were very sweet. Very enjoyable to talk to. I met them every time I went into the former cigar lounge on 5 aft to enjoy a cigarette while hanging out at the piano bar or comedy club.

They complained that they didn't like any of the food. On the third day, I asked them what their favorite meal had been so far in the dining room. That's one of my favorite conversation-starter questions to ask new friends aboard. They told me they hadn't gone to the MDR at all... only the lido buffet. The buffet food is cool and all but the dining room was on point all that week!

They fussed that there was nothing going on. They hadn't attended any of the production shows, trivia or game gatherings, anything. I asked them to come to a few events with the group of friends we'd joined up with, but they were happy complaining in their booth. They really were nice folks to talk to, though! Certainly didn't bring down my excellent time :)

Just try to open your mind and explore the various options lol.

Shh, don't tell, we feel like we are cheating on our spouse! J/K... I am at a conference, and noticed the Paradise was leaving the day after the conference, so DW and I decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to sneak in a 5 day cruise on the paradise. We have cruised several times on various Princess ships, but never with Carnival.

Rather than start a religious or political battle over which line is better, yada yada, what are the things we MUST do, eat, see, as first time Carnival cruisers. We are going knowing there will be differences, some of them stark, but we don't want to miss any MUST have experiences... or long time favorites of the Carnival community.

Thanks!

They are different in many ways and it depends what you are looking for.

Thanks everyone, we love just being on the water. I can't imagine not going to the MDR on any cruise. We are certainly going in with no preconceived notions, and just looking to have a good time. We will definitely have the chocolate melting cake. Is it offered nightly?

Yes, we love to get around and check things out, always looking for more steps ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gnatz007

Thanks everyone, we love just being on the water. I can't imagine not going to the MDR on any cruise. We are certainly going in with no preconceived notions, and just looking to have a good time. We will definitely have the chocolate melting cake. Is it offered nightly?

Yes, we love to get around and check things out, always looking for more steps ;)

On the dessert menu.

I sailed the Paradise, Sept a year ago. It was my 1st B2B. I love that class of ship. It was the 1st class I sailed, back in 2000, the Sensation. It's not too large, nor too small. Like Goldylocks said, just right.

Be sure and get outside, preferably top deck. Both in daytime and at night. There is nothing more soothing than standing at the rail of a ship, and gazing out at the water.

If your lucky enough to get a full or nearly full moon, it's just amazing. Sunsets are also fantastic to watch.

As others have said, check out the shows, and the night life. Carnival ships have a lot more energy and activity than other lines. Don't skip the MDR. Most important...

Relax and have fun. You're on a cruise.

We are excited to be on a smaller ship then we have sailed on before. We have heard its awesome. We also love being out on deck especially for sailaways. We are going with an open mind and excited for a new experience.

We just got back from the Regal ,what an awesome ship!!

As others have said the warm chocolate melting cake with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream is life changing lol

Another suggestion to research is faster to the fun also know on here as FTTF.If I wasn't platinum I would be getting it

The two lines are different but not so much except Carnival is a bit less formal in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I completely understand because after 7 Carnival cruises, I recently took a Princess cruise. I think you'll find more similarities than differences. Personally, I found the service on Princess to be a little more formal than Carnival. There were some extra touches on Princess, especially in the dining room. I think there's a little more nightlife on Carnival. You might actually find people singing karaoke or dancing in the club late at night. Try the chocolate melting cake. It's legendary. Hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll second this observation. Were platinum on Princess and will be taking our 6th cruise on Carnival in Feb. Seems to us the after dinner shows are easier to get into on Carnival, but wouldn't say one has better than the other. Don't care at all for the American table deal on Carnival. We like the slightly more formal atmosphere on Princess.

I have done one Princess (Ruby) and one Carnival (Sunshine) cruise.

Princess is more formal, not only the service but the guests too. Carnival more geared to families.

What will I do next? If the kids are coming Carnival and if its just my husband and I Princess.

We just got back from the Regal ,what an awesome ship!!

As others have said the warm chocolate melting cake with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream is life changing lol

Another suggestion to research is faster to the fun also know on here as FTTF.If I wasn't platinum I would be getting it

The two lines are different but not so much except Carnival is a bit less formal in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

What is REALLY life changing is the WCMC with 2 scoops of butter pecan ice cream. I dream of my next dose!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

I have been on 2 Princess cruises and am considering booking the Carnival Magic or Vista this summer. I've seen the words American Table here and there, what does that actually mean?

Probably the best explanation is from Carnival itself at https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/kw/alcohol/related/1 . There are some sample menus there. Here's a quote:

American Table and American Feast have been designed to create a contemporary and memorable dining experience for our guests.

Designed with an emphasis on exceptional American cuisine, American Table will feature familiar regional, fresh and contemporary dishes, with a wide array of appetizer, entree and dessert selections which will change each evening. Additionally, American Table will feature modern table décor and place settings with new menu designs to complement the experience.

Probably the best explanation is from Carnival itself at https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107/kw/alcohol/related/1 . There are some sample menus there. Here's a quote:

American Table and American Feast have been designed to create a contemporary and memorable dining experience for our guests.

Designed with an emphasis on exceptional American cuisine, American Table will feature familiar regional, fresh and contemporary dishes, with a wide array of appetizer, entree and dessert selections which will change each evening. Additionally, American Table will feature modern table décor and place settings with new menu designs to complement the experience.

That quote is hilarious, especially the last line. What a great way to spin "we want to save money and cut back on staff, so we took away the tablecloths in the dining room":p:D This should be included in every marketing course!

That quote is hilarious, especially the last line. What a great way to spin "we want to save money and cut back on staff, so we took away the tablecloths in the dining room":p:D This should be included in every marketing course!

I haven't noticed any menu changes that wouldn't change anyhow. Menus offer the same fare as they always have. But no tablecloths, you pour your own drinks, it is more like service at Big Boy. Not to take anything from the waiters, they are usually great. Its a new system that lessens the experience of cruise dining.

Our table at home is in America and at least we have a tablecloth.

I've been a little down on the Carnival production shows recently. After sailing NCL, the Carnival shows are just kinda Meh. Plus I think I had recycled some. Same show - different cruise. I don't critique the singers and dancers since they have way more talent than I do!

Last May went on the Paradise and enjoyed the two "really big shows." I am going on Paradise again in January and will drag the DH to them (he wasn't with me in May.) What I liked was the way the audience got into the show, singing along and some dancing. I think the music hit the audience's glory years and was so relate-able. The 80s show uses screens and does a great job on A-ha's "Take On Me"

I am going on NCL EPIC next week and looking forward to the Broadway style shows on this gigantic boat.

TLDR - check out the production shows.

Both DW and I are products of the 80's, so anything 80's will be very relatable and fun for us. Pretty excited about that.

We definitely hit sea day brunch. We like to eat in the MDR for breakfast if it's available rather than the buffets.