San Diego hotel/restaurant

govols1

Hi. We are arriving in SAN on Friday 11-25 for one night. MS Westerdam on Saturday. Looking at Hyatt Andaz or the Hard Rock Hotel for Friday night. About $135 each. we will uber to the hotel and probably also to the ship. any one have any thoughts on preferences for the above hotels? Favorite restaurants in the area?

Thank You!

Hi. We are arriving in SAN on Friday 11-25 for one night. MS Westerdam on Saturday. Looking at Hyatt Andaz or the Hard Rock Hotel for Friday night. About $135 each. we will uber to the hotel and probably also to the ship. any one have any thoughts on preferences for the above hotels? Favorite restaurants in the area?

Thank You!

We looked ar both for our pre-cruise stay in February - found them more expensive and less convenient than Wyndham Bayside - which is right at the terminal area, adjacent to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - shuttle from airport.

Both those hotels are in the Gaslamp Quarter. I'm a local, so I don't stay in downtown hotels, but I suspect the Andaz is a bit quieter since The Hard Rock is down by the train and trolley tracks and the trains run all night. Either place is likely to have street noise and traffic on the Friday of a holiday weekend though. The Gaslamp is a place people go to party, so there will be crowds.

The Gaslamp has many restaurants. You could just walk up and down 5th Ave until you find something interesting, or if you give us some idea of cuisine and price range we can probably recommend something. Really, you can have anything there -- seafood, steak houses, diners, pubs, upscale, casual, quirky, celebrity chefs, etc. What are you interested in?

Thanks for the update. There were also some reviews on the Andaz being loud. The Wyndham is also in the same price range. Seems like a slow time for the hotels as they are all more reasonable than similar hotels in FLL. My wife has food allergies so meat and seafood work best. Which local steaks/seafood would you suggest? Thanks.

Both those hotels are in the Gaslamp Quarter. I'm a local, so I don't stay in downtown hotels, but I suspect the Andaz is a bit quieter since The Hard Rock is down by the train and trolley tracks and the trains run all night. Either place is likely to have street noise and traffic on the Friday of a holiday weekend though. The Gaslamp is a place people go to party, so there will be crowds.

The Gaslamp has many restaurants. You could just walk up and down 5th Ave until you find something interesting, or if you give us some idea of cuisine and price range we can probably recommend something. Really, you can have anything there -- seafood, steak houses, diners, pubs, upscale, casual, quirky, celebrity chefs, etc. What are you interested in?

The Andaz is not quieter because it is in the heart of the Gaslamp club district and Black Friday the place should be going off. The in-house club on top of the Andaz goes until 2AM on Friday nights.

One of our favorite restaurants is The Fish Market restaurant - right on the bay to the south of the Midway Museum aircraft carrier and next to the WWII statue of the nurse and sailor. There's also a nice tribute to Bob Hope and all he did for the troops. The Fish Market is really two restaurants - a more casual one on the first floor, and a bit more upscale one upstairs. Both are casual with nice views of the bay and good, fresh fish.

Thanks for the update. There were also some reviews on the Andaz being loud. The Wyndham is also in the same price range. Seems like a slow time for the hotels as they are all more reasonable than similar hotels in FLL. My wife has food allergies so meat and seafood work best. Which local steaks/seafood would you suggest? Thanks.

Best seafood in Downtown is the Water Grill, the best steak is either Cowboy Star or Donovan's. If I was going to the Fish Market I'd go to the Top of the Market. It is a more sedate atmosphere.