What changes to expect?

Lesinindy

It has been almost 2 years since our last cruise and HAL has always been a favorite line for us. After home remodeling, hot tub, new patio and also a new grandchild, we have made the move back to the sea.

Are there any changes that happened since we were last on HAL, that come to mind both positive and negative? Almost nothing can ruin a cruise for us (except for that nasty case of noro I picked up that last night of one cruise).

This should be a real laid back cruise for us. My Parkinson's has changed some things for me and the idea of getting a full rest is something that I really crave.

Does any change stand out for you?

Edited by Lesinindy

The Lido for lunch has changed. You now have 4 workers making your salads for you. Sandwiches are now pre-made.

On my cruise at the beginning of October, there were remade sandwiches, as well as a sandwich bar with made-to-order sandwiches. There was a made to order carvery sandwich each day, as well as cold cuts and assorted other choices.

I understand the Lido on most (if not all) ships have been re-configured. I really didn't notice that as much as I noticed a lack of self-serve options, which I am just as happy with. Having been in line behind people who painstakingly picked all the strawberries out of the mixed fruit, or touched all the slices of smoked salmon, I am much happier when the Lido employees serve passengers. And I found the servings smaller, which is good as well.

I also like the relaxed Gala night dress code. I don't want to pack formal wear, and don't feel it necessary to purchase special clothes that I will only wear once or twice, so the relaxed dress code is great for me. It seems I am in the minority about that on the board. And in talking to my waiter on my cruise in October, it seems HAL is phasing out dressing the chairs for formal nights, which is another great decision in my opinion.

In my opinion, one of the biggest changes that was not for the better, was eliminating the librarian and internet manager positions. This means that all questions regarding shipboard internet are handled by the front desk personnel and that makes the lines for passengers with non-computer based issues at the front have to stand in line much, much longer. On my last cruise, I was trying to get my keycard reactivated and the person in front of my was having the front desk agent explain how EACH AND EVERY app on his phone worked with the internet/wifi on the ship. That could, and should, have been handled by an internet manager instead of keeping me from getting into my cabin for 30 minutes!

Overall, I have found most changes either unnoticeable or for the better. Of course, your opinion may vary. But no matter what, I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

The menus in the MDR are presented in a different manner now. Unsure when that happened. I'm sure someone will have a link to show the style of the current ones.

Formal nights are now called Gala Nights, with a more relaxed dress code.

No more Dessert Extravaganza or Chocolate Buffet or whatever it was called.

From reading here, it seems that the the Lido no longer has six varieties of Eggs Benedict. It seems that each day the traditional one is offered, along with one other variety which changes daily.

It's going to be my first HAL cruise in August 2017, on Koningsdam.

Are Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea and Japanese breakfast still offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October the Japanese breakfast was still there, no Indonesian tea, and I can't remember on Royal Dutch Tea. I typically don't go to tea but make a point of attending the Indonesian.

Has there been a regular Tea time in the afternoon?

I recall there used to be regular Tea time during port days and Indonesian or royal while at sea.

Did they offer regular Tea time on days at sea?

Or has there been another, alternative replacing event that replaced Indonesian or Royal Dutch Tea?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by shipfriend_max

Sadly on the Eurodam and Westerdam all we had were the pre-made sandwiches which -- JOP -- were awful. Soggy!!

Just the opposite for us on the Veendam - the pre-made sandwiches were delicious. We had them often on our 28 day cruise. Only one was "soggy" since some of the tomato leaked on to the bread in one portion, but we picked up this sandwich later in the lunch hour. Simply replaced this one "soggy" one, with a new one.

Changes - yes, most were good changes, but the HAL basics have not changes. And refreshing to know that things do change and yes they do listen to passenger requests and suggestions. But with every "change" it can mean other things go missing. And in a few years things will "change" again. I personally would not worry too much about any of the "changes" because that is part of the business.

Certainly loss of the Librarian is a major change, but then passengers changed too since most now read an electronic device so walls of books with their high maintenance requirements was a "change" to changing passenger demographics.

Chicken or egg - which reminds me of those delicious grab and go sandwiches they now offer ....;)

Edited by OlsSalt

Recently on the Veendam, which had both the Royal Dutch and the indonesian Teas. Still an array of "international" breakfast options in the MDR, but not sure if it included the Japanese one. They added "Swedish pancakes".

And on the larger Vista Zuiderdam ship also this year they had fresh crepes from a large crepe griddle for breakfast at the Lido - which I would get plain and then add my own butter, sugar and lemon squeezes ( previously picked up from the coffee/tea section) rather than their heavier fruit sauce offerings. Yum.

Recently on the Veendam, which had both the Royal Dutch and the indonesian Teas. Still an array of "international" breakfast options in the MDR, but not sure if it included the Japanese one. They added "Swedish pancakes".

And on the larger Vista Zuiderdam ship also this year they had fresh crepes from a large crepe griddle for breakfast at the Lido - which I would get plain and then add my own butter, sugar and lemon squeezes ( previously picked up from the coffee/tea section) rather than their heavier fruit sauce offerings. Yum.

Okay, thanks for your info - since Royal Dutch tea and Indonesian tea is both offered fleetwide, it should also be offered on Koningsdam, also hopefully next year. :)

Great tip by getting crepes, thanks - I love them, and for sure I'd get some for breakfast. :)

Did they also offer regular afternoon tea @afternoon during port days?