Freedom - Birthday surprise

Jarronwood

Hi everyone

My husband and another couple are on Freedom next October and I know it is ages away yet but I do like to plan.

It will be my husband's birthday in the middle of the cruise and I would very much like to surprise him with something. The day of his birthday we dock at La Spezia, Italy. I don't intend to book any special excursions that involve too much travelling to get to anywhere. A short journey somewhere would be good but its the evening really.

Should I book a table in one of the speciality restaurants. If so, which one is "better".

I would welcome any ideas or maybe someone has done something similar for their husband?

Better is relative, but we ate at all three specialty restaurants. They were all excellent. Which type of food do you think your husband would like best - Italian (Giovanni's), Mexican (Sabor), or Steak (Chops). My personal favorite is Giovanni's Table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better is relative, but we ate at all three specialty restaurants. They were all excellent. Which type of food do you think your husband would like best - Italian (Giovanni's), Mexican (Sabor), or Steak (Chops). My personal favorite is Giovanni's Table.

A very good steak or Italian. Whats the ambience in both of these restaurants? He tends to like excellent service, bottle of extremely good red wine and excellent food.

A very good steak or Italian. Whats the ambience in both of these restaurants? He tends to like excellent service, bottle of extremely good red wine and excellent food.

I would say go with Giovanni's. I have heard others say that the steaks are better than Chops. We have always had great service in all the specialty restaurants. I cannot comment on the wine as we do not drink.

DW planned a birthday dinner for me at Giovanni's on Freedom last year. Didn't go so well. Food ranged from good to average, but service left something to be desired. I've heard others though who have had a very good Freedom Giovanni's experience, so YMMV. Be sure to remind the staff that you requested a birthday celebration. DW did this in advance, and again when we entered the restaurant. She still needed to remind them again AFTER they had already served dessert. :rolleyes: General perspective that I've read on these boards as that any celebrations are hit and miss.