8 Hour Heathrow Layover Dining Options

hattack

bennybear...if you ever come to New Orleans I owe you dinner at Dookie Chase, a drink and a visit to Snug Harbor (world famous Jazz Club)...your suggestion of a 23 hour layover in London is starting to be very appealing to my GF...she discovered a Jazz Club (Ronnie Scotts) and a New Orleans Theme Bar (with Creole dishes) NOLA-London, which makes their version of a Pusser's Rum "Painkiller" Drink (my favorite and I don't drink:o)...she has email both to find out their location via The Tube Station drop off in the West End

- any recommendations for places to visit in the West End would be greatly appreciated...I figure we would have about 2-3 hours to walk around before heading to drinks/dinner/ Jazz set

-we are also now considering flying 1st Heathrow to Milan (Linate) on their early morning flight (arv Milan at 1035 am) overnight and taking the high speed train to Venice late in the afternoon...our cruise returns on Tuesday morning and depart Venice on Wednesday morning (to connect with the non stop afternoon departure Heathrow to New Orleans) so we would still have the same number of days in Venice (3) difference is 2 days pre, 1 day post

this thread has proven to be very enlightening for me as long as I can stay within my self imposed budget

bennybear...if you ever come to New Orleans I owe you dinner at Dookie Chase, a drink and a visit to Snug Harbor (world famous Jazz Club)...your suggestion of a 23 hour layover in London is starting to be very appealing to my GF...she discovered a Jazz Club (Ronnie Scotts) and a New Orleans Theme Bar (with Creole dishes) NOLA-London, which makes their version of a Pusser's Rum "Painkiller" Drink (my favorite and I don't drink:o)...she has email both to find out their location via The Tube Station drop off in the West End

- any recommendations for places to visit in the West End would be greatly appreciated...I figure we would have about 2-3 hours to walk around before heading to drinks/dinner/ Jazz set

-we are also now considering flying 1st Heathrow to Milan (Linate) on their early morning flight (arv Milan at 1035 am) overnight and taking the high speed train to Venice late in the afternoon...our cruise returns on Tuesday morning and depart Venice on Wednesday morning (to connect with the non stop afternoon departure Heathrow to New Orleans) so we would still have the same number of days in Venice (3) difference is 2 days pre, 1 day post

this thread has proven to be very enlightening for me as long as I can stay within my self imposed budget

Lol! Careful, I just may take you up on that! Although I don't think I could ever face another Hurricane drink! We went to New Orleans to celebrate my Masters.

I am glad I could be of help! I find travel a bit of a puzzle, and I have found that trips have a life of their own and you just have to twist things around from time to time to make things work best. Sounds like an awesome plan!

For the west end we have usually done a play and ate last year at Lotus an Indian restaurant that was amazing. So much to see in London.

For Venice, we have good luck with a couple of Best Western hotels that are easy to access the port and airport.

Hope you don't have to eat to much PB&J! B

I love PB&J and when times were tight combine with a Cup of Soup, it made a dinner meal...since I moved to New Orleans I can eat a bowl of Gumbo everyday for breakfast and Catfish with sweet water cornbread for dinner (my cardiologist and I often have interesting discussions at my annual check up;)

over my many years of travel, I have learned to build around a theme..with this upcoming trip I want to visit international brick & mortar Jazz Clubs..thus your London layover opened up a whole new opportunity to visit Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club...we are planning on spending an evening in Milan at the Blue Note Milano Jazz Club and in Venice at the Venice Jazz Club..what we are most excited about is attending a performance at the Fenice Opera House in Venice and a High Mass (with Choir) at the Basillica in St Mark's Square

I use to go on regular cruises (since 1974) to the same Caribbean islands every year just because...I have been doing full charter Jazz music cruises since 2005 exclusively which has afforded me the opportunity to meet incredible artists and combine my 2 passions Jazz & Cruising...to be able to layer these two passions with visiting incredible ports of call (Italy & Greece) is a Blessing well worth eating PB&J sandwiches...life is to short not to enjoy cruising with a person that allows one to reconnect without the pressure of everyday stress (and now to get away from the divisive political drama we find ourselves in)

My DH is drooling over the gumbo.... and then there is the crawfish étouffée....

I love the theme idea, we have been doing some genealogy connected travelling and it has been very interesting.

There is a really good book on the Fenice and its rebuild. I can't think of the author, but I think he also wrote about Savannah.

I agree there is something really relaxing about sailing and just staring at that water! Hope you have a fabulous time!

thanks for the tip on the book about the Fenice..I will see if my local Public Library has it...I was mildly surprise to find out that New Orleans has a deep Opera connection going back to the 1800's ...I plan on visiting the New Orleans Opera Company to find out more about it...if there is a performance while we are there, I plan on purchasing the SRO cheap seats and stay for only a short while to be able to say we were there..they do tours during the day so I am hoping I can take a photo of her seated in the Royal Box Seats

ironically, the International Association of Cardiologist hold their yearly convention in New Orleans..during the day they publish papers about all the foods that one should not indulge in to stay heart healthy, and then at night they are eating all the great New Orleans food that they advise their patients not to eat...I actually busted my cardiologist eating fried chicken:D...we now have an understanding that I will adhere to his guidelines 6 out of 7 days a week and when I go on my cruise all bets are off...the good news is I love fish and veggies so I have plenty to choose from on the ship and when we are in port and Venice..he's always recommending a "Med" Diet so I am in fact following his instructions for once ;)

on our full days at sea on a full charter Jazz Cruise it is packed with great music up to about 0400 am..we have a ritual that when we come back to our cabin we go out on the balcony and just enjoy the silence and the rhythm of the waves and watch the sunrise, go to breakfast and then since we have been to most of the Caribbean ports several times, we sleep all day and our cabin steward loves it because he knows he can skip our cabin until early evening...with this upcoming cruise with our ports we will have to change that pattern...my only sadness is that we sail from Santorini at 5 pm and will not be able to see the sunset..on the flip side I will be up early to watch us come into port at 0700 and watch the sunrise

with your guidance we have decided to do a 48 hour layover in London on our way to Venice...on our 1st night my GF wants to go to the West End Theatre District to see Motown the Musical at the Shaftesbury Theatre ...on the 2nd night she wants to have an early dinner at Nola-London (New Orleans theme Club) which I understand is in the East End on Rivington Street and double back to the West End for the midnight show at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club on 5th Street in Soho

my question is 2 fold...a) we are considering staying in the West End at a B& B rather than staying at a hotel by Heathrow..can anyone recommend a B & B close to The Tube so we can make a 0900 am flight to Venice....b) what is the easiest way to get from the East End (Nola-London) to the West End (Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club) at night...how long does it take

with your guidance we have decided to do a 48 hour layover in London on our way to Venice...on our 1st night my GF wants to go to the West End Theatre District to see Motown the Musical at the Shaftesbury Theatre ...on the 2nd night she wants to have an early dinner at Nola-London (New Orleans theme Club) which I understand is in the East End on Rivington Street and double back to the West End for the midnight show at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club on 5th Street in Soho

my question is 2 fold...a) we are considering staying in the West End at a B& B rather than staying at a hotel by Heathrow..can anyone recommend a B & B close to The Tube so we can make a 0900 am flight to Venice....b) what is the easiest way to get from the East End (Nola-London) to the West End (Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club) at night...how long does it take

I hope this helps:

Nola to Ronnie Scott's:

-Walk to Liverpool st tube, 10-15min

-Tube Liverpool st to Tottenham Court Road tube, 10min

-Tottenham court road walk 10min.

Consider: how you'll get to yr accommodation in the wee hours????

Tube only runs 24hrs at weekends and not all lines run. Black cabs are very expensive, über maybe more reasonable.

Tube from central London to LHR is 45-50min. You'll need to start yr trip to LHR early: at least 6am. Not later- but earlier is even better and recommended.

Accommodation:

Central London- easy from Ronnie Scott's, but have to leave super early to make yr flight.

Outer London: expensive taxi after Scott's, but better for LHR.

e.g. Taxi from central London to LHR approx £80-100... or more.(Black cab)

Über most likely around £50 and up wards........

B&b I not know any as I live here, but Premier inn Hotels are often cheap and in many locations. The area of Hammersmith maybe a distance compromise between West End and LHR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

a thought...could we do an early dinner (we land at Heathrow at Noon)..attend the 1930 pm performance at the Theatre (2 hrs 45 minutes) and catch the midnight set at Ronnie Scotts and take an Uber back to our lodging...in other words skip the East End (NOLA-London) entirely and make it a 24 hour layover vice 48 hour

our flight from Heathrow to Venice departs at 0900 am which means we should be at the airport by 0630 am ..what time does The Tube start running in the morning from the West End to Heathrow

a thought...could we do an early dinner (we land at Heathrow at Noon)..attend the 1930 pm performance at the Theatre (2 hrs 45 minutes) and catch the midnight set at Ronnie Scotts and take an Uber back to our lodging...in other words skip the East End (NOLA-London) entirely and make it a 24 hour layover vice 48 hour

our flight from Heathrow to Venice departs at 0900 am which means we should be at the airport by 0630 am ..what time does The Tube start running in the morning from the West End to Heathrow

Part 1: sounds doable. Shows will finish no later than 2230hrs. Most typically it's a 22hrs finish.

You'll be able to walk to Scott's. 10-15min.

The area is buzzing, so it may take you longer as you may get caught up in all the goings on....

Tubes start shortly before 6.

If you arrive LHR not later than 7 you'll be ok.

Here is a snap shot of a tube time

Leicester sq (Center of west end- theatre & Ronnie Scott's are)

To LHR 1,2 & 3 plus 5.

56e8face57ed5a103b203451de06bd97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Wellard

great planning information, thanks...we will arrive from New Orleans and depart to Venice in Terminal 5..I've been emailing Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club so they will work with us regarding reservations on a Thursday night and signed up for their newsletter so as soon as we know who will be playing we will make reservations....ironically I have several friends that will be going on the Blue Note at Sea Jazz Charter in Feb. and the house band from Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club will be performing all week, so I'm sure my friends will put in a good word for us

I m wondering if it would be easier to just stay at the airport. The Sofitel is right in terminal 5. Then you will not be lugging your suitcases, and can just head to the airport, You can take the tube in to town with out luggage.

Also wondering about the late evening with jet lag. But you might have better stamina than me, lol!