Looking for comments / opinions on oceanview cabins on the Sapphire Princess

sandysu

Hi all,

Hubby and I usually choose a balcony cabin, but we’re looking at a fairly long cruise on the Sapphire Princess and are considering opting for an Obstructed Oceanview cabin on deck 8. I have looked through Renmar’s excellent collection of photos and have also consulted deck plans. Basically I'm trying to get a view that isn't totally lifeboat/machinery and also to avoid spots that are likely to be really noisy.

What I’ve come up with as possibilities are:

• E200 or E201 – beside the stairs up to the upper promenade deck, or
  • One of the cabins in the range E324 to E414 on the port side

I’m interested to know if anyone has travelled in any of these cabins on the Sapphire or Diamond Princess, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions about these or other obstructed view cabins. In particular, are we likely to get a lot of noise from the Princess Theater in E200 or E201?

Also, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the “Premium” Oceanview cabins right at the bow on decks 10 and 11? Do you really have access to a balcony when in port? Do you get a lot of noise while sailing? - we sailed in a cabin towards the bow of the the Pacific Jewel once, and every wave we hit sounded like we were hitting a rock! :) Or if I'm going to pay the 'premium' prices for these, would I actually be better off springing for the extra and going for a normal balcony?

Many thanks in advance!

Sandy

We were on the Sapphire for a 7 day Mex Riviera cruise a few years ago. We were upgraded from obstructed view on deck 7 to B101 on deck 11 which overlooks the bow. We loved the cabin. Very spacious. We used the balcony when the ship was moving at low speed and while anchored but not when the ship was underway as it was very windy out there. There is no furniture allowed on the balcony. Another restriction was the curtains had to be closed at night because light from our cabin could obscure the vision of the crew on the bridge above us.

The noise wasn't noticeable but there was a bit more motion than the aft cabins we usually book.

We would book that cabin again.

We had an E200 obstructed view cabin on the Diamond. It may be similar on the Emerald, but I'm not sure. On the Diamond, the view was great. There was a staircase to the side but it did not impact our view at all.

What I didn't like about being in that location is we were so far forward that picking up something from the cabin and then returning back to another part of the ship was a long walk. It seemed like most of our activities were either mid ship or aft and the location so far forward was inconvenient. On the other hand, if you use the spa or the gym you may really like being that far forward.

Also, on the Diamond, the bed was under the window. This may have changed. Our cruise was in 2009. I much prefer it when the bed is mid cabin as it has been in other obstructed view cabins I have been on.

Edited by vmom