Regatta 7002 and 7003 for Alaska?

HopeEverlasting

Greetings-

Question re: sailing in the forward G inside staterooms- 7002 and 7003. Looking at a sailing to Alaska in 2018. Not sure of how the husband and/or I will deal with motion. The remaining G insides are the two cabins above.

For those who have sailed in those cabins or in those nearby on an R class ship, would you suggest two newbies give those a try for a 10 day cruise; or, invest the extra $400 ($200 pp) to sail in an F inside that is a mid-ship location?

We are not known to be ones to suffer much motion sickness; but, I have had an occasional bout over the years when on tour buses if climate control wasn't just perfect.

Thanks,

-Hopeeverlasting

One more bit of info- The F insides that I have been told are available are 7040 and 7043.

Thanks again! :)

If you think you may be bothered by the motion I would do the F cat cabins

I do not usually get sick but if in the bow area I can sometime feel very uncomfortable with the motion up there

If you think you may be bothered by the motion I would do the F cat cabins

I do not usually get sick but if in the bow area I can sometime feel very uncomfortable with the motion up there

Thanks, LHT28, for the advice. I will seriously look at those two F insides that are left.

Also, when searching this forum/threads, found a post by Hawaiidan re: 7043 being his absolute favorite. Think he suggested it is very quiet. Any reason 7043 beats 7040?

(I think the obsession with details is a sign of someone who really, really, really wants to go on a cruise. We've been trying for years, but life keeps getting in the way. Trying to finally get some plans set in stone. :-) ) Again, thanks!

Thanks, LHT28, for the advice. I will seriously look at those two F insides that are left.

Also, when searching this forum/threads, found a post by Hawaiidan re: 7043 being his absolute favorite. Think he suggested it is very quiet. Any reason 7043 beats 7040?

(I think the obsession with details is a sign of someone who really, really, really wants to go on a cruise. We've been trying for years, but life keeps getting in the way. Trying to finally get some plans set in stone. :-) ) Again, thanks!

Hopefully some else that has stayed in those cabins will comment

I usually try for a C cabin I need some light ;)

Hope you make it this time ....been there done that a few times

7002 and 7003 are my favorite cabins on the ship. The other two G cabins are on deck 6 unless something has changed. I get horrible motion sickness and don't have a problem with either of these cabins. It is a very quiet location. And to my mind, the most important thing is that I sleep going forward. I cannot ride backwards-not in the dining room and definitely not in bed. The deck 6 g cabins are going backwards, according to my body. Think sitting up in bed-do you want to be riding forward or backward?

I do have a problem with even being in a deck 8 concierge cabin, much too much rocking motion, even when just visiting new friends there. Had to "ride forward" and face away from the balcony. Cabins with portholes and windows are the worst for me. Just watching the horizon go up and down is terrible. Being on a balcony is fine in the fresh air. Inside I face away from the windows. I love being on deck and Horizons is fine facing forward.

Deck 7 F cabins also are fine if the beds face forward but I prefer the G location.

Mary

Oceania_rClass_Inside_980pix.jpg

The inside cabins on Deck 7 of the R ships, having passenger cabins both above AND below them, are completely interchangeable. You'll want to choose one strictly for its' proximity (or lack thereof) to staircases and elevators or the laundry room which is located between cabins 7076 and 7079. I like to be near them for convenience sake, and Oceania cruise ships ARE quieter than most, but if you are the type for whom the odd shouted word or slammed door will ruin your rest, its best to stay as far away from well trodden paths as you physically can.

x_211205.jpg

That said, were I to give advice for avoiding seasickness for the Alaska voyages which you are mulling, it would have more to do with avoidance of very early or very late season voyages than with cabin selection.

REG170531.jpg

High Summer, mostly Inside Passage cruises are textbook training wheel cruises (i.e. very very very calm, you may not even realize that you are on a ship), and whereas a cabin veranda isn't an ideal spot for viewing every locale, for Alaska they are WONDERFUL!

ftdc_silvershadow_alaska-00421.jpg Having the view first thing in the morning, and last thing at night is such a thrill, that I would not trade it, particularly if this will be once in a lifetime, unless seasickness were a known, certain to be recurring hazard. Better to wear the patch!

Greetings-

Question re: sailing in the forward G inside staterooms- 7002 and 7003. Looking at a sailing to Alaska in 2018. Not sure of how the husband and/or I will deal with motion. The remaining G insides are the two cabins above.

For those who have sailed in those cabins or in those nearby on an R class ship, would you suggest two newbies give those a try for a 10 day cruise; or, invest the extra $400 ($200 pp) to sail in an F inside that is a mid-ship location?

We are not known to be ones to suffer much motion sickness; but, I have had an occasional bout over the years when on tour buses if climate control wasn't just perfect.

Thanks,

-Hopeeverlasting

I agree with LHT28: "If you think you may be bothered by the motion I would do the F cat cabins"

If you are new to cruising as you describe and have have been motion sick on a bus then why take a chance with a forward cabin. DW does suffer from motion sickness (ship, bus, even a fenicular!) and low and midship is very good advice.

I dont know which are the two cabins above 7002 and 7003 as I don't see any forward inside cabins on deck 8. That said there can be noise in the wee hours from galley and deck clean/prep in some of the mid ship ones. No need to take them if lower one is available.

On large ships mid-ship is popular as they are more central and less walking. O's R-ship that make little difference for me. *IF* you get seasick you will want a sanctuary; somewhere to escape and recover. For us that is a primary consideration and after that comes possible noise, then location to pool, dining, etc. If you get sea sick, a little occasional noise or location convenience will not matter. We will take a higher deck but if midship. Otherwise a lower deck wins.

I have never felt the ship direction w/o a window so cannot comment on a forward vs. aft oriented bed. I will ask DW if she has noticed this being as she is far more sensitive than I am. I do know of fellow pax who prefer the bed oriented on the left vs. the right (with no consideration of the direction it is facing but orientation against the window/baclony) . YMMV

Edited by YoHoHo

The lowest point (floor level) and most midship, is the smoothest part on any ship. As was suggested in the post above, I actually would go with suggesting either over the counter Bonine, or prescription medication Compazine. I have had the patch many times for surgery, and the very first thing I asked them after coming out of surgery is to take it off. Can give you very dry mouth, and some people can even get blurred vision. If you want to go with the patch definitely try it before the cruise to see how you react. Obviously it's very convenient. Alaska really is one of the smoothest places to cruise, inside passage. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One more bit of info- The F insides that I have been told are available are 7040 and 7043.

Thanks again! :)

7043 is one of the best locations and cabins on the ship... steps from the elevator and seconds from being in Horizons or on deck. I love that cabin

Going to alaska I feel strongly that you need to be out on deck, not on a veranda or suite peering out through a pin-hole view On deck the view is 360 not 90.... Go for the 7043

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Will ponder this weekend. Greatly appreciate your insight.

Would love to have a veranda, but would have to stick to 7 day trip versus 10 or 11 day voyage in an interior. Hard to give up the extra days.

Wishing you all a great weekend. :-)

Go for the time...more is better. I an taking this cruise in May SF to Vancouver.

When picking a cabin.. remember you can always get more money, you cant get more time. Go with what your heart tells you. The ocean except for off Juan de Fuca straits is a lake... there is a tiny bit of bump north of Vancouver island gettting to Ketchican...

A bit optimistic about the "lake." We had a fair amount of rocking several days Seattle-Seattle Alaska leaving end of June. That trip we had 7069, an F cabin, with twin grandsons in the upper bunks. Hey, we just thought of it as luxury camping!

One of the twins hadn't learned the trick of looking away from the windows in the kids program and had some seasickness, cured by dramamine and looking away. Never seasick in the cabin, though. It's that horizon going up and down that gets you. Never a problem on deck though.

Booked for a G cabin on deck 7 for Rome-Venice August 30, 2017. Also had one of those Buenos Aires to Rio and up to North Cape and Murmansk.

Mary

Thanks, again, all!

Hoping to have time today to put a deposit down. (Why is it our weekends/time off sometimes end up just as filled with "work." LOL)

Ended being a rather busy weekend. Would have preferred more time with coffee and perusing an Oceania brochure and Cruise Critic threads!

Have a great day! :-)

Well, have more question for Hawaiidan/all before putting the deposit down.:)

For those who have sailed in 7043- Do you remember the orientation of the bed? Want to determine the orientation of the bed (mentioned by Mary in an earlier post) and determine if the bed would be orientated towards the front of the ship/going with the motion so body would be oriented like sitting in a car, vs. laying down backwards or feeling the side to side motion (don't think the side to side would be a worry with this stateroom; but, not able to tell much from the deck plans that I have found).

Thanks again!