Camp Carnival Advice

mroth13

Hey everyone! First time cruising with little ones -- we are headed out on the Miracle in February. We have a five year old and an almost 3 year old.

Would love some more detailed information on Camp Carnival such as what happens on Port Days? Can you book an adult only excursion and leave the kids on the boat? I'd love to do the zip lines if possible!

Also, I know it's closed between 5-7, so we have to pay for them if we do something like the chefs table and have to bring them? Or specialty dining? We're celebrating an 80th birthday so these things will be happening with or without us.

Also, it seems like having four years together (2-5) wouldn't give our older one much to do?

Thanks for any info!

Michelle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can your children sit for an extended period of time?Chef's Table is a three hour event. $75/pp no discount Steak house takes about 2 hours. There is a children's menu.

About the kids club--- attend the first night's meeting to get your questions answered.

Take a ship's excursion, less issues if a problem occurs.

As far as the age range, they will have activities for all ages within that age group. If there are 20 kids, it won't be 19 2y/o and one 5. I believe they have nights that you can leave the kids and they will take them to the buffet for supper. Or feed them early in the buffet and take them to the Camp at 7 and go to your specialty dinner.

Oh, and welcome to CC. there is a board here for Family Cruises, under Special Interest Cruising. Lots of experts there on cruising with children - of all ages, including those in their second childhood. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I think it was Reagan who said that.

Applies to the Carnival kids' programs just like it did to the Russians.

My experience: My daughter LOVES every year of Camp Carnival and now Club O2. I trust them based on "spying" at first with dropping in unannounced, combined with my daughter's detailed recounting of adventures once she could understand personal safety as a serious and mature matter.

Carnival excels in many areas. The kids' program are up near the top of the list.

Yes you can take them to dinner in the buffet area each night to be checked in to Camp Carnival. They list the menu in the schedule for each day. They don't have choice of everything offered in the Lido, but it is kid friendly items (chicken nuggets, mac and chesse, qusadillas, etc.) Check in in the Lido was at 6:00, they eat, then head to Camp Carnival for the rest of the evening. We did this a few times for specialty dining and date nights.

My experience is that Camp Carnival was open all day on Port Days and would take the kids to Lido for meals during the day. On Sea days they are closed during meal times.

Also our 5 year old was moved up to the next age group this past summer because he was bored in the 2-5 age group. This was suggested by the Camp Carnival staff. We had to sign a form saying we were OK with it. He enjoyed it so much more once he was bumped up. Chat with the staff at the family open house on your 1st day. They'll likely want your oldest to start out in their assigned group to try it, but may be open to moving if needed. Happy children = happy parents!!

My kids started camp carnival at 2 years old now they are 17 & 15. Out of 20 cruises there has only been 1 where they didn't like the counselors and didn't want to go. My suggestion is to bring walkie talkies so if your older one wants to leave camp or just say hi he can talk to you and it doesn't make them feel as "homesick". I think they give you something 'phone' for your younger one in case they need to get a hold of you.

They have on the 1st night a family dance party in the disco. I suggest going so you are there and they can meet the counselors and other kids.

My other suggestion is look at the schedule and you will know what activities your child will love/hate so you know when is a good time to send them.

As for changing age groups it depends on the time of year to how many kids are on board. If it's during the holidays or spring break there are usually so many kids they break up the groups themselves. It's when there are only a few kids on board when they move them around.

My daughter was a month from being 6 on our last cruise. They asked her if she wanted to move up and she did not. Almost Every time I picked her up from camp she had a medal from winning something so that could have been why she liked the younger group.

You can leave your kid in camp on port days if you want.

Some days camp closes about 4, then reopens at 6 at the lido buffet so the kids can eat with their new friends, then they take the kids to camp.

From my experience all kid's parents in the 2-5 age group get cell phones that work all over the ship so camp can call you if they need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ata1976