PortSide Vs Starboard side

Jamericannn

Carnival transatlantic crossings are always done at the cooler times of year, and since the cabin heating is never that good we always get starboard cabins going east bound and port cabins going west bound to try and keep the sun in the cabin when there is any.

As some have posted, on a "closed loop" cruise (leave/return from same port) the port and starboard sides have equal amounts of sun/shade and choosing a side for this reason is just plain silly (IMO).

That being said, a cabin on the port cabin side may be more desirable for cruises departing NOLA as one would face ships passing the other way while on the Mississippi (including other Carnival cruise ships!). Several times we have seen the Elation/Dream pass within 100' with a closing rate of 20+ knots at nine at night. Very interesting.

Finally, on a repositioning cruise port vs. starboard can be a consideration. We chose 4237 on the Legend for an upcoming Hawaii > Vancouver repositioning cruise as we wanted more sun for a possibly chilly April north-pacific crossing.

Nothing silly about it IMO.

The typical Caribbean cruise from the USA has 3 ports and 3 sea days (albeit some have 4 ports and 2 sea days.) This means your cruise will have 2 sea days going down and 1 coming home or 1 going down and 2 coming home. IMO it is not silly to choose port or starboard based on one's own parameters for choosing a balcony for the most time their balcony will be sunny or shady.

I for one have very fair skin and try to avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible. I also love afternoon naps on my balcony. On say an Eastern route out of FLL, I would choose port if the 2 sea days are at the beginning of the cruise or choose starboard if the 2 sea days are after visiting the ports and returning home. This way 2 afternoon naps will be in the shade.

I prefer whichever side faces the docks we visit, though that can't always be assured. We like watching the logistics and the process of docking, the people getting off and on the ship, etc.

That's us exactly :D

We do alot of research ahead of booking to try to make a good, educated guess which side will face the dock most often.