Jeans at dinner?

GPCOUPLE

I saw a couple be turned away one night at dinner on NCL - they were miffed to say the least and gave the hostess a hard time.

A few days later I noticed a whole family in jeans at dinner :eek: I guess it depends on who greets you at the door.

I saw a couple be turned away one night at dinner on NCL - they were miffed to say the least and gave the hostess a hard time.

A few days later I noticed a whole family in jeans at dinner :eek: I guess it depends on who greets you at the door.

Or maybe the poor woman didn't want to deal with them again.

She (and the rest of the staff) really should not have to deal with that type of behavior....but in a perfect world.....:rolleyes:

~e

I love wearing jeans and find them very comfortable, pretty much live in them when it's too cold for shorts, but on a cruise, I wear skirts, dresses and dressy slacks to dinner. Personally, I look at it as part of the fun of the cruise. For most cruises, I would think jeans would be too warm and would want lighter pants anyway. Everything does come down to your comfort level though, but always be prepared for the possibility of someone in the dining room asking you to change, even if you are wearing nice jeans. You never know when these things will be enforced or ignored. If you watch these boards you'll see stories where people were ignoring the dress of the day and others where people were seen being asked to change to something more appropriate and on just about every cruise line.

Everything does come down to your comfort level though, but always be prepared for the possibility of someone in the dining room asking you to change, even if you are wearing nice jeans. You never know when these things will be enforced or ignored. If you watch these boards you'll see stories where people were ignoring the dress of the day and others where people were seen being asked to change to something more appropriate and on just about every cruise line.

I will never understand why someone would wear jeans if the dress code says not to, period. It is not about comfort level, IMO. I am quite comfy in workout clothes and live in them around the house and when running errands, etc. That does not mean I would ever consider wearing them to dinner.

If people ignore suggested dress, I am happy to see them turned away. I find it disrespectful to the cruise line and to their fellow passngers.

[One of the examples someone gave was from RCCL's website with the comment that jeans were not mentioned. Well formals were not listed for formal night, just cocktail dresses. So by that poster's logic one couldn't wear a long ball gown for formal night.

I guess we will just have to disagree. You may not prefer to wear jeans, you may not think they should be worn to dinner, and you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that I prefer to wear jeans, I don't see anything wrong with wearing them on casual nights to dinner, and I think they can look just as good as dockers or khakis or capris.

It is not by my logic that I posted this, it was taken straight from RCCL brochure. I think you took it all out of context, cocktail dresses and not long ball gowns? They suggest a cocktail dress but some choose to dress up more and wear their dresses long. Just like on Casual nights some as yourself choose to wear JEANS and not the recommended dress or slacks.

It is obvious the way it is read or interpetated that gets one so confused.

I just thought I would inlighten this post by some well needed information but I am not going to beat a dead horse any longer.:rolleyes:

Have a great day to all who continue in this thread, it is never going to end.

Cruizinrican:D

I guess what I don't understand, and I'm not being sarcastic...I truly do not understand, is why if an upscale restaurant on land does not allow jeans no one would be shocked if they were turned away, yet this is such an issue in the dining room on a cruise.

~e

I just thought I would inlighten this post by some well needed information but I am not going to beat a dead horse any longer.:rolleyes:

Have a great day to all who continue in this thread, it is never going to end.

Cruizinrican:D

there are lots of threads that really need a dead horse icon!!!:p

Americans need to "clean up their act" when it comes to dressing-go to Italy and a woman wouldn't dream of going to dinner in a formal dining room in jeans. Come on folks......this isn't about being comfortable, its about being respectful and having some class............JMHO

Actually, Bistros are very nice restaurants that let you dress down. But, I really was curious if jeans are a regional thing. I live in the Southwest and looooooove my jeans. I noticed another post where the person wears jeans and lives in Nevada. Where do the rest of you live and what's your preference? I'm not talking about on a cruise, just in day to day life.

I live in the northeast and I'm not sure if it is a regional thing. I used to live in NYC, was born and raised right in the heart of Manhattan. I never wore jean in the summer, they were too hot and in the winter too cold. I did like jeans for in between seasons and for the pockets that other pants didn't have.

My hubby hates jeans. He never wears them even though men here wear them all the time. He bought one pair for Alaska at my insitance and after reading all the books that say "wear jeans". He much prefers his kahki or chinos for casual dressing.

I'm ok with jeans, but I can't say I love them or that they are the most comfortable. I have dressier black pants that are much more comfortable than my jeans and there are people here who love their jeans.

My girlfriend hates jeans, rarely wears them, much prefers those jogging style suits.

I think it's just a personal preferance. I'm not sure location plays a part in it. I think people just like jeans for other reasons, but not just for the comfort level they provide as I personally don't think they are all that comfy.

I agree with MrsMoose and do not think it is regional. It is more a matter of style and personal taste.

I was raised in the Northeast and have lived in FL since the mid 70s. I wore jeans as a teen, although never to school since we had uniforms.

I rarely wear jeans now as I do not find them comfortable or feminine. I love nice fabrics that drape and prefer nice slacks or skirts to jeans. In the winters, I will put on athletic clothes or cords for casual wear. But I would not wear either to a restaurant for dinner.

Actually, Bistros are very nice restaurants that let you dress down.

Hmmm, perhaps in America. In France (where bistros originated), you would never see people eating dinner in jeans -- unless, of course, they are American tourists.

Jeans were originally sturdy workmen's pants, later adopted by cowboys. To me, it doesn't matter how "nice" they are, they are not appropriate attire for a nice dinner out. It's the equivalent of taking workman's boots, adding some rhinestones, and pretending they are appropriate footwear.

Personally, I don't find jeans all that comfortable either, and haven't worn them much since college. I did recently buy a pair of nicely tailored denim trousers, but found that I still don't wear them much, even though I liked them in the store.

Actually a bistro serves different kind of french food than a gourmet french restaurant. It is a more causal type restaurant, but the food is different also.

That said, no flames please as I'm not talking cruise at all, I'm talking land restos only on this, I honestly think it's just preference. I go to a restaurant called Milos. It's the top of the line in fish, also considered one of the most expensive restaurants in the city if not the most expensive. And you see ladies dressed up in jeans. They had on a channel blazer/jacket whatever you call it, you know the one with the fringy things, channel bag, nice expensive jewelry and wore it with a pair of jeans because it was trendy. Did I think it looked nice, yes, did I think it was appropriate, yes, for some reason the way they wore the whole outfit, with heals, and jewelry and a really nice top, it looked au courant at that time and very very fashionalbe. If anything they got some very appreciative glaces from women and men. This is a restaurant where channel and gucci and whatever is "HOT/IN" at the moment will be spotted in fashion, bags, shoes and jewelry. A lot of the clothing can't even be purchased here, a lot of these people travel all over and shop the world. The prime minister eats there when he is in town. Brian Mulruny frequents the place (ex prime minister). To be honest, if you have enough large diamonds, channel or hermes bag or gucci or vuitton or whatever bag is hot hot hot, nobody notices the jean. The solid gold rolex with the diamond bezel with get more notices that the pants.

Please no flames, just my honest observation and opinion. I respect anyone who thinks it's not ok or appropriate.

Not to get anyone upset but if you want to wear your jeans why not eat in one of the alternative rooms. If you want to wear alternative clothing than do but have respect for those individuals who chose fine dining. People complained about dressing for dinner so that is why they opened the alternate eating places....so you have a choice, dress appropriately for where you are going to eat. I do not think you would show up at a fine dining restaurant where you live and expect them to let you in in jeans.

As far as RC, on my last cruise with them I was well pleased to see the Maitre D enforce the no jeans and not let people with jeans in the DR but informed them they could eat in one of the other areas or order room service. He did tell them they were welcomed back if they changed into something appropriate.

As far as RC, on my last cruise with them I was well pleased to see the Maitre D enforce the no jeans and not let people with jeans in the DR but informed them they could eat in one of the other areas or order room service. He did tell them they were welcomed back if they changed into something appropriate.

I would love to know which RCI ship this was as that is a big plus in my book!

This is a discussion I find interesting.

No flames please, it's only a discussion and I'm only giving my opinion.

I agree if there are rules, there are rules, no jeans, means no jeans.

But as to the question about being let in in a fine dining establishment on land, I have to say yes, I'm not saying it's appropriate, I'm not saying it should or should not be allowed, what I'm saying is that yes, jeans are allowed in some fine dining, very expensive restaurants. I consider upwards of $250 - $300 per couple to be expensive and Zagart considers these restaurants to be fine dining and jeans are allowed.

In my opinion, I think it's more about which restaurant. I recently went to a restaurant, it is a very youthful place, very expensive dinner for hubby and myself was over $250 and the average "bottom" on men and women were jeans. I'd say over 70% had jeans on. Was it fine dining, well I think so, was it upscale, absoultely, were people dressed nicely, I think so, even with the jeans, it was very very trendy, you know, nice well fitting jeans, (no underwear showing, no buldges, no cracks), nice boots and shoes, nice tops, some emblished or nice suede jackets, designer jeans, nice handbags and nice jewelry, all very trendy, hip and in.

The people actually looked really pulled together, and I was sorry I didn't wear my jeans to be honest.

So I agree that if it says no jeans, the rules should be respected, but do nice fine dining establishments allow jeans in land restaurants, I'd say yes they do and yes, people do expect to be allowed in in jeans.

Again, please, I'm not saying it's right, or that the restaurants are right or anything like that, just voicing an opinon from personal observations.

I'm not saying that cruise ships should change or anything like that I'm speaking purely about land restaurants.

I've come to understand that for a lot of people, dressing up is an integral part of their cruise holiday and I fully respect that, so again please understand that what I wrote has nothing to do with change, propper attire or anything, just an observation for land places.

Just a question. There is a denim-like material called Tencil that comes in a denim color, but looks quite dressy. Coldwater Creek, for example, sells very nice looking pants and skirts in this fabric. They usually show such clothing quite dressed up with nice tops, or vests and necklaces and bracelets, nice shoes with little heels or sandals.

I wouldn't wear Tencil clothing on Formal night, but these outfits look good enough to me for Smart Casual nights. But what do you all think? Is the "dressy denim" look of Tencil still too casual for the dining room?

Just a question. There is a denim-like material called Tencil that comes in a denim color, but looks quite dressy. Coldwater Creek, for example, sells very nice looking pants and skirts in this fabric. They usually show such clothing quite dressed up with nice tops, or vests and necklaces and bracelets, nice shoes with little heels or sandals.

I wouldn't wear Tencil clothing on Formal night, but these outfits look good enough to me for Smart Casual nights. But what do you all think? Is the "dressy denim" look of Tencil still too casual for the dining room?

I am familiar with Tencel and it travels well.

I personally would not choose to wear it on smart casual nights. For me, that is dressy pants or skirt or a pretty LBD.

Archived