Divina - then and now

MLinFL

We recently sailed on the Divina - 11/12 - 11/19/16. This was my 3rd time - previously 12/14 and 4/15. We had a great time and find MSC to be a great value for what you pay. However, I just wanted to mention a few of the things that I found have changed since our 4/15 cruise:

1. They did not serve lobster tail at either of the formal nights; if you wanted lobster you had the option of purchasing it any night - $19.95 for a whole lobster. Same with shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. This was only available for an upcharge of, I think, $6 or $7, not sure. One person at our table ordered this almost every night and the shrimp were very large.

2. No more lumpy pillows. In the past, the pillows felt like they were filled with little rocks. This time (which was right after the dry dock) the pillows were a solid material.

3. No complimentary coffee served with dessert.

4. Some of the shows were changed slightly but for the most part the same as in the past. However, they took out the Sinatra tribute and now have a "Queen" tribute.

5. I found the price of the internet to be quite reasonable - instead of charging by the minute, they had packages for the length of the cruise. Also, we were able to access the wireless internet from MOST places throughout the ship.

We would sail with MSC again.

Mary Lou

2. No more lumpy pillows. In the past, the pillows felt like they were filled with little rocks. This time (which was right after the dry dock) the pillows were a solid material.

Pillows, blankets & beddings were all replaced during the recent dry dock.

We recently sailed on the Divina - 11/12 - 11/19/16. This was my 3rd time - previously 12/14 and 4/15. We had a great time and find MSC to be a great value for what you pay.

5. I found the price of the internet to be quite reasonable - instead of charging by the minute, they had packages for the length of the cruise. Also, we were able to access the wireless internet from MOST places throughout the ship.

Mary Lou

What was the price for the internet? Do I understand that you had an unlimited option?

Kim

We recently sailed on the Divina - 11/12 - 11/19/16. This was my 3rd time - previously 12/14 and 4/15. We had a great time and find MSC to be a great value for what you pay. However, I just wanted to mention a few of the things that I found have changed since our 4/15 cruise:

1. They did not serve lobster tail at either of the formal nights; if you wanted lobster you had the option of purchasing it any night - $19.95 for a whole lobster. Same with shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. This was only available for an upcharge of, I think, $6 or $7, not sure. One person at our table ordered this almost every night and the shrimp were very large.

4. Some of the shows were changed slightly but for the most part the same as in the past. However, they took out the Sinatra tribute and now have a "Queen" tribute.

Mary Lou

Lobster was taken off for months now.

Hi Mary Lou, what did they replace the lobster etc with on formal nights? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

According to my notes on the first formal night my husband and I both had the filet and shrimp entree. On the second one, I had Beef Wellington - didn't note what my husband had.

They did have free drinks before dinner in the lounges before the first formal night.

Hi Mary Lou......In response to number 3, do you know if you order coffee at the beginning of the meal (to drink with dinner) if it is included or must we pay?

Thank you.........Laura

I didn't see any coffee pots at all in the dining room. The only coffee we saw was delivered by the cup and we saw them signing for it. As no one at our table cared about coffee in the evening we didn't ask. I'm guessing if you want a latte or cappuccino they would bring it at an extra cost.

Which internet package did you use? Did you purchase it prior to the cruise or when you got on the ship?

My mom has the black card. Are there any discounts?

Thanks!!

We also had the Black Card due to the "Match" program. As a matter of fact, when we went to the cocktail party for the Black Card holders, there was only one person in the room that was there "honestly" - not because of the Match program.

We were surprised at the little extras we got because of the Black Card. On the first formal night, they delivered to our room in the late afternoon 2 bottles of champagne and 2 plates of chocolate covered strawberries. We ended up having a party with our friends the next afternoon to handle all of this. We got a certificate for a free dinner for 2 in the specialty restaurant (we chose Eataly and it was very good). We also got 2 chocolate models of the ship - solid chocolate! - and 2 MSC baseball caps.

It was fun having the Black Card!

Mary Lou

What was the price for the internet? Do I understand that you had an unlimited option?

Kim

I wish I could remember exactly - and I never received my bill at the end of the cruise. (I had been checking it via the TV all along, so when it didn't show up on that last morning, I didn't bother going down to Guest Services to get it).

If I remember correctly, you could get a basic package that just allowed you to get email for just one device for about $20 for the entire week. I went with the "middle" package that gave you email and web browsing - for 2 devices - for about $45 for the week. I think the highest package, which also allowed streaming was quite a bit higher but since I didn't need that, I just ignored it. The bottom line is that internet is much more affordable now than it used to be on the ships.

I will also add that I don't think these packages were actually "unlimited" but were for a certain amount of data. I used my devices quite a bit throughout the week and never came close to using up this data.

Hope this helps. If anyone has a more accurate account of the internet charges, please jump in.

Mary Lou

According to my notes on the first formal night my husband and I both had the filet and shrimp entree. On the second one, I had Beef Wellington - didn't note what my husband had.

They did have free drinks before dinner in the lounges before the first formal night.

Thanks for this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I didn't see any coffee pots at all in the dining room. The only coffee we saw was delivered by the cup and we saw them signing for it. As no one at our table cared about coffee in the evening we didn't ask. I'm guessing if you want a latte or cappuccino they would bring it at an extra cost.

I am confused. Are you basing your statement of no complementary coffee based on the fact that you did not observe coffee pots and two, that people who ordered the coffee with a fee (expresso, latte, etc) was charged for it.

My husband is a coffee drinker and drinks it with his meals. On the Divina, free coffee was served to him throughout the meal and I had no trouble obtaining a free cup of decaf coffee at the end of the meal.

The coffee pots are there for the complementary coffee. I did notice that in my area of the dining room, they were kept underneath the serving station used by the waitstaff to prepare the ordered items for delivery to the table. When my coffee was needed, the waiter reached down and picked up the pot.

Unless the availability of complimentary coffee and tea with dinner has changed, one simply needs to ask for it.

Thank you Mary Lou......not the answer I wanted to hear but I'm glad to be informed ahead of time. Thanks for the info!

Have a nice night

Laura

Thank you so much Homosassa......I'm happy to hear this!! We do enjoy coffee (decaf) with dinner.....:)

I am confused. Are you basing your statement of no complementary coffee based on the fact that you did not observe coffee pots and two, that people who ordered the coffee with a fee (expresso, latte, etc) was charged for it.

My husband is a coffee drinker and drinks it with his meals. On the Divina, free coffee was served to him throughout the meal and I had no trouble obtaining a free cup of decaf coffee at the end of the meal.

The coffee pots are there for the complementary coffee. I did notice that in my area of the dining room, they were kept underneath the serving station used by the waitstaff to prepare the ordered items for delivery to the table. When my coffee was needed, the waiter reached down and picked up the pot.

Unless the availability of complimentary coffee and tea with dinner has changed, one simply needs to ask for it.

Well, I found that a lot of things had changed in the last 18 months since we previously sailed on the Divina. But I will admit that since none of us particularly cared about coffee after dinner, we didn't ask. On the other hand we ate in the dining room every night but one and we were NEVER offered coffee at the end of the meal. So it might be available but it was not a priority of the serving staff, for sure. If someone has been on this ship recently and they served complimentary coffee in the dining room in the evening, I'd like to know.

Mary Lou

Same with water refills if you are having tap water. I'd suggest that when your glass gets half empty that you try to flag down the waiter. They don't have enough staff, imo, in the mdr. Or order a bottle of water and pour your own refills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you must request the coffee or tea.

Once the waiter realized my husband would be drinking coffee throughout his meal, a small carafe of coffee was waiting for him on the table when we sat down (and he would rush to pour the first cup for him).

Similarly, when the waiter knew my routine was a cup of decaf with dessert, a cup was placed in front of me each night.