Bergen Norway in a Nutshell question

From Bergen to Oslo, I would pick a seat on the right side of the train. Also, I found the Oslo to Myrdal (or reverse) section of the train to Bergen just as beautiful (if not more so) than the Myrdal to Bergen (or reverse) section. Only in the first 30 minutes or so out of Oslo are you in suburban and/or industrial areas...otherwise you are in beautiful farmland, along lakes and areas where people have summer cottages (huts) which are widely spaced. Mydral itself is not much other than a small hotel and the train terminal.

Edited by Splinter

• 3 weeks later...

I did the NIN Bergen-Oslo Itinerary last summer with an overnight in Flam. I think it is is an awful lot to pack into one day. If you are really intent on doing it in one day, I would agree with the poster who suggested doing the Bergen-Bergen loop. I don't think that there is a 'bad side' to sit on the train. There is so much beauty to see. Although the Myrdal - Oslo portion is the least exciting it did have one of the highlights for me. Finse is a mountain village that the train passes by. It was where Star Wars was filmed (Hoth, for fellow nerds). It was a really cool village that truly felt like another planet. Is it worth the 5.5 hour trip if you are short on time.... maybe not.