bottled water

georgia1980

How in the world can someone be allergic to water?:confused:

Sulfur "intolerance" is a real dietary condition but the sulfur in some waters (the rotten-egg smell is some municipal waters) is negligible when placed in line with common high sulfur foods like onions, garlic, eggs, dairy, cabbage type vegies, legumes.

I would think water on a cruise wouldn't be nearly as worrisome as what someone is actually going to eat.

Hmm the bottled water on Carnival is carnival branded "purified water", don't know how that stacks up against Dasani/Aquafina/etc. This may be a question that can only be answered by Carnival's special needs/assistance department.

It's purified spring water from Ginnie Springs, FL. My DW hates water and refuses to drink it plain but she drank this water and enjoyed it.

Bottled water starts with municipal water, and some of that may have high sulfur content, depending on where the bottling plant is. The reverse osmosis process, should, if the RO membrane is in good condition, filter out all the sulfur, but it is not guaranteed. So, unless you ask each bottler at each plant for a chemical analysis, you won't know how much sulfur is in the water.

Now, Desani is one example that I know, where they add back in magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), so this will have a measurable sulfur content. I can't say about the brand that Carnival provides.

Contrary to what cb says (who is frequently wrong), not all of the water on the ship (and I know the OP is not asking about ship's water but bottled) is distilled, much is desalinated via the reverse osmosis method, and some is municipal water at the turn around port. Never having tested the water for sulfates (tested it for lots of other things), I can't say that the ship's water has such and such a level of sulfur, but the most common source would be the municipal water loaded in port. And nothing is "added back in" for taste. Two things are added to the water: calcium carbonate, an antacid to neutralize the water, and chlorine to sanitize it.

Bottled water starts with municipal water, and some of that may have high sulfur content, depending on where the bottling plant is. The reverse osmosis process, should, if the RO membrane is in good condition, filter out all the sulfur, but it is not guaranteed. So, unless you ask each bottler at each plant for a chemical analysis, you won't know how much sulfur is in the water.

Now, Desani is one example that I know, where they add back in magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), so this will have a measurable sulfur content. I can't say about the brand that Carnival provides.

Contrary to what cb says (who is frequently wrong), not all of the water on the ship (and I know the OP is not asking about ship's water but bottled) is distilled, much is desalinated via the reverse osmosis method, and some is municipal water at the turn around port. Never having tested the water for sulfates (tested it for lots of other things), I can't say that the ship's water has such and such a level of sulfur, but the most common source would be the municipal water loaded in port. And nothing is "added back in" for taste. Two things are added to the water: calcium carbonate, an antacid to neutralize the water, and chlorine to sanitize it.

Some bottled water comes from springs and has to in order to be labeled spring water. While the municipality where the spring is located may use the same source for the municipal water I think there is a difference between the two in most cases.

Some bottled water comes from springs and has to in order to be labeled spring water. While the municipality where the spring is located may use the same source for the municipal water I think there is a difference between the two in most cases.

Yep. I use the term "bottled water" for treated municipal water, and "spring water" for bottled spring water. Probably should be more precise, but given that we've got Poland Spring up heah, we don't do much of that Desani like stuff.

Yep. I use the term "bottled water" for treated municipal water, and "spring water" for bottled spring water. Probably should be more precise, but given that we've got Poland Spring up heah, we don't do much of that Desani like stuff.

That's my go to if I'm driving and don't want a soda or coffee. I only mentioned it because the brand that CCL sells is bottled spring water. (And that reminds me that I have to buy a bottle of Poland Springs so DW can see if she likes it as much as she liked the bottled spring water that we had on Fascination.)