Heads Up

I'm being pedantic now, but TSA has quite a bit of involvement with ports and ships, although they have next to nothing to do with the public-facing or passenger side of things.

Remember, Chief, that the TSA issues the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) which is required by the Maritime Transportation Security Act for workers who need access to secure areas of the nation’s maritime facilities and vessels. This obviously includes cruise ship terminals.

While TSA does in fact issue the almost useless TWIC (I've had mine for quite a few years now, and no one has a reader that can read the biometrics on it, and many ports and marine facilities don't accept TWIC's, believe it or not), the security regulations at the ports are enforced by USCG and local LEO.

The TSA doesn't screen embarking passengers on cruise ships leaving form US ports. The liquid rules you mention -- seen at airports -- do not apply to cruise terminals.

Your post has done nothing but add to the confusion around this topic.

Just so that you know: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-screen-passengers-cruise-110191.html

TSA is in charge of screening cruisers. TSA can decide which rules to enforce.

I did check my facts before I posted.

Edited by agargoyle

Just so that you know: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-screen-passengers-cruise-110191.html

TSA is in charge of screening cruisers. TSA can decide which rules to enforce.

I did check my facts before I posted.

So you googled "TSA Cruise Ship" and posted the first USA today article you found? Maybe you should actually read it.

Although the TSA sets standards for maritime security, each individual cruise line has its own procedures for passenger entry onto the vessel.

And when you're done with the USA Today fluff, read it straight from the horse's mouth. As the Chief said, USCG is the lead agency, not the TSA.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/top-stories/2016/08/22/tsa-provides-support-coast-guard-secure-us-ports

Besides, the security screeners at cruise terminals do not prevent passengers from bringing liquids except at the specific direction of the cruise line. NCL prohibits passengers from brining any beverage on board, but many other lines still allow this practice. I believe your original assertion was that the TSA airport style "liquid rules" applied to cruise ships. They do not.

To answer a few questions, this was New Orleans.

Nope, not looking for any compensation at this point. The manager on board did what he could to make it right and make us happy. It's not his fault the land based operations seem to be so inefficient and unhelpful. Like I said, it is a shame they make it so much harder on the ship's crew by NOT stating policies like this one in a clear and straightforward manner.

I don't know if I will write a letter to NCL. I really just posted so, hopefully, it might help someone out and prevent them from starting out their vacay like us (I don't know about everyone else, but I am so stressed out before the actual vacation, that this is just one more thing we didn't need).

The funny part is I had all these dreams prior to our vacation of leaving our passports at home or missing the boat...never thought about the water giving us so much trouble :p.

Note to self: do not wear blue scarf in New Orleans