Grand Suite on Voyager of the Seas

Stuartm

I'm looking at booking a Grand Suite on the Voyager of the Seas and I saw the ship in port today and noticed an overhang from the deck above. As the balconies are recessed already it looks like the overhang would make the cabin even gloomier. Unfortunately the overhang isn't shown on the deck plans so I was hoping that someone may know where the overhang is in relation to the cabins below.

cheers

Stu

I haven't found them gloomy - which one are you looking at?

edit: I do look at pics of the ship and count back the windows using the deck plan to see if the stateroom is under the overhang or not. However, I don't think it is a huge deal.

Edited by lucymorgan

We were in a GS (1598) on Mariner of the Seas which a ship in the same family. Loved the balcony - shady but not obstructed. They put in two lounge beds for our use. Definitely not gloomy. We are booked in a GS again on Voyager next year and can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in a GS (1598) on Mariner of the Seas which a ship in the same family. Loved the balcony - shady but not obstructed. They put in two lounge beds for our use. Definitely not gloomy. We are booked in a GS again on Voyager next year and can't wait!

I am considering booking a GS on Mariner for a 5 night Asia cruise in Feb. Can you tell me some more about the experience/ perks/ concierge lounge/ drinks to help me decide. It is for 3 people, my husband and myself and our 21 yo daughter . Thanks

I am considering booking a GS on Mariner for a 5 night Asia cruise in Feb. Can you tell me some more about the experience/ perks/ concierge lounge/ drinks to help me decide. It is for 3 people, my husband and myself and our 21 yo daughter . Thanks

This was only our third suite experience (not counting JS) and the second was onboard the Harmony with the bells and whistles is the Royal Suite Class. So our expectations coming into this cruise were cautious at best. We ended up really enjoying ourselves. They had three rotating concierges (Yin Tao / Harry / Sherry). Yin Tao was wonderful, can't say enough good things about him. He was very visible, ever helpful and had a most pleasant disposition. What the suite experience lacked in physical extras, it made up for it with heart.

Due to the lack of upper tier C&A members, they combined the diamond and concierge lounge, closing off one of the rooms. There was no overflow; the lounge was always either empty or near empty whenever we popped in. Continental breakfast, afternoon canapés and bar happy hour were held in the lounge during the day. Suite guests could also use the Lyrics dining room when the MDR was open for lunch or breakfast and we had reserved seating in Chops for breakfast if we chose.

Yin Tao was there to usher us to the ice shows (very well attended on our cruise) where they had reserved seating for suite guests. We were also invited to a 50-min behind the scenes tour where we visited Studio B and the kitchens. It was very informative and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

We could order off the main dining room menu for room service but menus were often not updated by our cabin steward (however they're not difficult to find). We did do this once and liked the flexibility.

On the final day, we went to the deck of disembarkation and Yin Tao ushered us off the ship via a separate line. It was all easy and fuss free.

Would we cruise in a suite again on a non-Oasis/Quantum class ship? In a heartbeat!

We have stayed in a grand suite twice on Adventure of the Seas, once on Explorer of the Seas (both sister ships of VOS) and are booked in a GS on Voyager for next month. Yes, the balcony is covered but rooms are still bright and having the overhang keeps the balcony shaded or dry if raining.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe all balconies on Voyager class ships are recessed. The only negative is the solid base on the sea side of the balcony where glass starts at about knee height. One positive is the balconies are by far the most private of any ship we have been on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

This was only our third suite experience (not counting JS) and the second was onboard the Harmony with the bells and whistles is the Royal Suite Class. So our expectations coming into this cruise were cautious at best. We ended up really enjoying ourselves. They had three rotating concierges (Yin Tao / Harry / Sherry). Yin Tao was wonderful, can't say enough good things about him. He was very visible, ever helpful and had a most pleasant disposition. What the suite experience lacked in physical extras, it made up for it with heart.

Due to the lack of upper tier C&A members, they combined the diamond and concierge lounge, closing off one of the rooms. There was no overflow; the lounge was always either empty or near empty whenever we popped in. Continental breakfast, afternoon canapés and bar happy hour were held in the lounge during the day. Suite guests could also use the Lyrics dining room when the MDR was open for lunch or breakfast and we had reserved seating in Chops for breakfast if we chose.

Yin Tao was there to usher us to the ice shows (very well attended on our cruise) where they had reserved seating for suite guests. We were also invited to a 50-min behind the scenes tour where we visited Studio B and the kitchens. It was very informative and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

We could order off the main dining room menu for room service but menus were often not updated by our cabin steward (however they're not difficult to find). We did do this once and liked the flexibility.

On the final day, we went to the deck of disembarkation and Yin Tao ushered us off the ship via a separate line. It was all easy and fuss free.

Would we cruise in a suite again on a non-Oasis/Quantum class ship? In a heartbeat!

Thank you so much Bertrande for your very informative detailed answer. I think I am going to book the Grand suite and your positive comments have helped me make my decision. Just a couple of questions please. What hours were "happy hour" in the concierge lounge, and could you take drinks with you to your cabin, or a show? Was there a full bar to choose from and did the concierge double as bartender? And what do you mean by " we had reserved seating in Chops for breakfast if we chose" ? Do you mean getting your breakfast from the buffet, but being able to eat in Chops for suite passengers? And any advice on port or starboard or any particular suite for this cruise? I am thinking of 1568 as it is showing it has pullmans available which might be good for our daughter. Thanks again for any advice. My first suite booking , so just trying to work out what the perks are!

Thank you so much Bertrande for your very informative detailed answer. I think I am going to book the Grand suite and your positive comments have helped me make my decision. Just a couple of questions please. What hours were "happy hour" in the concierge lounge, and could you take drinks with you to your cabin, or a show? Was there a full bar to choose from and did the concierge double as bartender? And what do you mean by " we had reserved seating in Chops for breakfast if we chose" ? Do you mean getting your breakfast from the buffet, but being able to eat in Chops for suite passengers? And any advice on port or starboard or any particular suite for this cruise? I am thinking of 1568 as it is showing it has pullmans available which might be good for our daughter. Thanks again for any advice. My first suite booking , so just trying to work out what the perks are!

Hi,

We were on the Adventure of the seas for a 16 night cruise back in Sep 2013. We stayed in GS1556. I used the sofa bed / pullman each night. No issues at all. Im 190cm tall and 95kg. Comfy big double bed.

We were able to use Giovanni's each morning for breakfast. They had a selection of food in there, or you could nip through to the buffet and bring it in. No issues. Used it for lunch aswell.

There is a bartender for the lounge in the evening. There was about 2-3 of them if i remember correctly. We were always able to take our last drink out at 8.30pm and take it down to our evening meal.

Trouble is that once you have had a GS once, you will want it again. Trust me.

Steven

Hi,

We were on the Adventure of the seas for a 16 night cruise back in Sep 2013. We stayed in GS1556. I used the sofa bed / pullman each night. No issues at all. Im 190cm tall and 95kg. Comfy big double bed.

We were able to use Giovanni's each morning for breakfast. They had a selection of food in there, or you could nip through to the buffet and bring it in. No issues. Used it for lunch aswell.

There is a bartender for the lounge in the evening. There was about 2-3 of them if i remember correctly. We were always able to take our last drink out at 8.30pm and take it down to our evening meal.

Trouble is that once you have had a GS once, you will want it again. Trust me.

Steven

Thank you so much! Very useful information. Yes, I am slightly worried about wanting a suite again but looking forward to giving it a try :)

Happy hours if I recall were something like 4-7pm (I am a teetotaller so don't quote me on this!). I saw a server standing at the side of the table with bottles of alcohol/spirits laid out but I'm not sure if he was there to guide a newbie or to serve as no one was helping themselves to alcohol when we visited.

Regarding Chops - we took food from the buffet and sat in Chops. They did have a limited spread of cold meats, smoked salmon and some fruit and yoghurt in Chops and I heard one lady going to the kitchen (the chefs were there) and requesting for scrambled eggs which they happily obliged (the scrambled eggs in Windjammer and the SL were horribly dry and rubbery throughout the cruise so I must say she did the right thing asking for fresh ones!!).

We were on port side and my DH remarked that we always faced the sea and not the dock - I don't notice such things but since my DH did, it must be the case. :)

I'm afraid staying in a suite has spoiled us - definitely bad for our pockets!! All our next few cruises across lines are in suites and DH himself said he's not sure he could ever go back to anything below a JS/SS now that he's so used to the extra space!

Have fun whichever you decide :)

Happy hours if I recall were something like 4-7pm (I am a teetotaller so don't quote me on this!). I saw a server standing at the side of the table with bottles of alcohol/spirits laid out but I'm not sure if he was there to guide a newbie or to serve as no one was helping themselves to alcohol when we visited.

Regarding Chops - we took food from the buffet and sat in Chops. They did have a limited spread of cold meats, smoked salmon and some fruit and yoghurt in Chops and I heard one lady going to the kitchen (the chefs were there) and requesting for scrambled eggs which they happily obliged (the scrambled eggs in Windjammer and the SL were horribly dry and rubbery throughout the cruise so I must say she did the right thing asking for fresh ones!!).

We were on port side and my DH remarked that we always faced the sea and not the dock - I don't notice such things but since my DH did, it must be the case. :)

I'm afraid staying in a suite has spoiled us - definitely bad for our pockets!! All our next few cruises across lines are in suites and DH himself said he's not sure he could ever go back to anything below a JS/SS now that he's so used to the extra space!

Have fun whichever you decide :)

Thank you! I booked and paid today for our first ever Grand Suite - ended up booking 1578 on port side, for our Feb Mariner Asia cruise. So excited! Thanks for the additional information. Yes, that would be good to be able to take food from the buffet and eat in Chops, as the buffet can be crowded at time. Did this apply to breakfast and lunch? And a pre-dinner drink in the lounge sounds lovely! I cant wait :):)

Thank you! I booked and paid today for our first ever Grand Suite - ended up booking 1578 on port side, for our Feb Mariner Asia cruise. So excited! Thanks for the additional information. Yes, that would be good to be able to take food from the buffet and eat in Chops, as the buffet can be crowded at time. Did this apply to breakfast and lunch? And a pre-dinner drink in the lounge sounds lovely! I cant wait :):)

I can't remember if it applies to lunch. But apart from Chops there is also a cordoned off area for suites guests in the WJ for use each time the WJ is in operation. We never saw anyone using it though. Also, when the MDR is open for lunch, you can use the Lyrics dining room on deck 3 which is also reserved for Suites guests. When we boarded, we were given a folder which had all the benefits listed in it. We found that very useful.

Congratulations and enjoy!

We had joint GS on Voyager last October and we never had issues with them being bleak (and we skirted a Typhoon).

The lounge was the diamond club on deck 14, with amazing views and we enjoyed happy hour each day.

We are also looking forward to another GS on Explorer in February.

My very first ever cruise last November was on the Explorer, same ship except about a metre longer, and we had a grand suite, Oh boy, as a first timer it was worth every Oz $$$, fabulous concierge, (drat, have forgotten his name) somewhat generous serves of evening drinkies (strongest G & T I have ever had, giggled for hours) very good service in dining room, 6pm slot meant no waiting, and plenty of time to see show and still have a reasonably early night, treated like royaltyby extremely nice room steward, no booking or waiting in line for tender or shows

(got to remeber it ws our first cruise and it doesn't take much to make this little West Oz black swan happy) saw even the inside cabins opposite & they were very nice but am spoiled for life now, putting pennies in jar so can afford Suite class next time. Of course it your money, but I wouldn't miss the experience for the world.

My first GS ever was on Voyager. And I've been in GS ever since. It's a great experience and well worth the extra money.

I've always been able to get a drink in the lounge and take it with me. They do tend to be stronger drinks as well. There is a bartender who will take care of you but it's typically not a full bar so your options can be limited depending on your tastes.

As others have said, you can take food from the WJ and eat on Chops as well as ask for a few cooked to order items. It's a nice quiet place to eat and the staff are very attentive.

Thank you all for your very encouraging words. I paid yesterday and am beyond excited looking forward to our first GS experience!! The Chops dining arrangement sounds wonderful for breakfast and definitely looking forward to using the lounge and pre dinner drinks 😀

Just a question for Bertrande or anyone else who may have had a suite tendering in Phuket, did you use the priority tendering and how did that work and what time were you able to be on land

Thanks and I am loving reading about all your suite experiences!

NO balcony is "gloomy"...even if you have shade, it's still bright enough to need sunglasses...the reflection off the water is intense. No worries....wear sunscreen!

Read again, my dear...the OP is talking about the CABIN being gloomy, NOT the balcony.

We did GS on last 4 cruises and have booked 2 more, loved everything about them 1st 2 were Navigator ( sister ship) , on that you could also eat lunch in Chops, but it was a small menu and only on sea days, other days you still could sit there and get food from WJ, reserved pool seating is a great area on this ship, also reserved seating for Ice show and other shows, also like the dvd player in suite, priority to get on the ship and concierge walks you off the ship and bypasses lines , also priority for tenders