Cozumel for someone new to traveling

Artemis908

This will be my significant other's first cruise and trip out of the country (excluding Canada). We have one day in Cozumel. I have been there twice, both times I did snorkeling. I've traveled a ton, especially on cruises, so I am not worried about myself, just trying to figure out make this first trip for him special and awe inspiring. Any suggestions?

I'm going in November and it will be my first time also. Personally for me, I'm looking forward to touring some if the Mayan ruins! Then again I'm a history buff and my friends and I enjoy such things lol. My advice is to just look at all the available options and let your significant other make the choice from all the options.

This will be my significant other's first cruise and trip out of the country (excluding Canada). We have one day in Cozumel. I have been there twice, both times I did snorkeling. I've traveled a ton, especially on cruises, so I am not worried about myself, just trying to figure out make this first trip for him special and awe inspiring. Any suggestions?

Personally I would, like you, choose an option myself that I think would be amazing to him. The beaches are obviously the first thing I would consider, and a less busy beach where you can really relax and get a massage is what I treated my wife to on Coz on our first cruise. And there is at least one option with a fabulous lunch and beach experience if looking for something like that with a smaller group. A trip to the Yucatán for the ruins of Tulum, or especially a visit to Rio Secreto would be a special day.

But yes, treat him to something special that is also a surprise.

How long are you in port?

Edited by blue_water

I would not tour the Mayan ruins on the mainland from a Cozumel port stop - you will spend far more time travelling there (including a ferry ride from and back to Coz) than you will at the ruins.

Lots of fun beach clubs to choose from on Coz - Paradise Beach, The Money Bar, Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom are the most often suggested.

You might also look at the Cozumel Bar hop tour -- you'll see the far side of the island (much less developed with beautiful scenery) and visit several funky beach bars.

Have a great cruise! :)

For us the beach clubs and popular beaches on Coz would not be a special or awe inspiring experience, just another crowded beach experience that you can do on any islands on this itinerary. But if you want that beach club vibe there are great options. For someone looking for a different experience or a special day this port gives you opportunities other than the crowded beaches and bar hops. The trek to Tulum is a long one (30 minutes from the Playa Del Carmen ferry terminal) but worth it if that interests you IMHO. But that's why I asked how long they are in port...

For something special on a nice, quieter beach on Coz look at the La Casa En La Playa option that is usually offered through the ship. You share a private home on the beach with a small group and have a pool, a chef, bartender, and host to tend to you and reviews are excellent. We haven't done this because we have a place on the Riviera Maya, and when we visit Cozumel we rent a car and drive to different beaches on the west and south coasts. But this sounds like a nice break away from the crowded beaches for a day visitor.

And I think the Rio Secreto trip would be a very special experience that you both would remember. Stunning is a good description. Just a short drive from the Playa Del Carmen, and depending on your time in port you may have time to enjoy a noce lunch at one of the great open-air restaurants on 5th Avenue within walking distance of the ferry terminal.

http://www.riosecreto.com/

If you were in port later at night you cloud also make reservations at the Alux Restaurant in Playa, a very unique experience!

http://aluxrestaurant.com/en/

Several great options depending on your time in port and interests!

Edited by blue_water

I wouldn't do some vanilla experience you can get anywhere. You can snorkel in Florida. You're not in Florida, you're in a foreign country, with a different and diverse culture, food, history. See those things. I don't get why people go to a foreign country and sit on a beach shipping margaritas. I can do that at home. I want to see something interesting and different. Mayan ruins is a great idea, museums, seek out local entertainment. Hopefully one of you speaks Spanish, it'll make you less subject to dumb tourist traps.

I wouldn't do some vanilla experience you can get anywhere. You can snorkel in Florida. You're not in Florida, you're in a foreign country, with a different and diverse culture, food, history. See those things. I don't get why people go to a foreign country and sit on a beach shipping margaritas. I can do that at home. I want to see something interesting and different. Mayan ruins is a great idea, museums, seek out local entertainment. Hopefully one of you speaks Spanish, it'll make you less subject to dumb tourist traps.

Agree wholeheartedly in the sense of bypassing the beach clubs with the "South Beach" vibe. A tour or other experience that includes a taste of the culture, food, and history is a great idea!

However I have to add that for someone else looking for a nice, relaxing beach or snorkel day, the snorkeling and diving are amazing off Coz as compared to Florida, and the beaches and water colors are gorgeous as well. When we're visiting from Playa and looking to enjoy a nice, relaxing beach we've headed to a quieter beach with our cooler or to a beach that has drink options and had a wonderful day. Nothing wrong with limin' on these gorgeous beaches with a margarita!

But yes for something "special and awe-inspiring" I would step it up a bit in this port. A food and culture tour that is highly-recommended by others on this forum and by destination experts on the Cozumel forum on tripadvisor would be a great idea, or that trip to Rio Secreto is another option.

Cozumel Bar Hop is fun. Goes to the other side of the island and visits 4 bars. You get a shot at each bar. You can buy other drinks and food, all cash as they don't have electricity and don't use credit cards.

Mayan ruins on the mainland aren't the best and the travel is a pain.

Shopping downtown a block off the main drag is fun. Lots of restaurants. Some have coupons on line.

Amazing race was fun.

This! I like to see the sights, even if it's from a tour bus with a guide, but preferably on a 4-wheeler/jeep adventure. That's what we did in Cozumel. Had lots of fun, saw a ruin or 2, had lunch on a beach, and had a guide who could answer questions and give is info. (Didn't hurt at all that he looked like Antonio Banderas LOL)

Sitting on a beach, particularly at a place I've never been...eh, you might as well stay on the ship.

Still not a special and awe-inspiring option in our mind but nothing wrong with that. We enjoy renting a car and driving the island and admiring the views from the south and east coast and hitting hidden beaches along the way.

Actually if you aren't interested in experiencing Rio Secreto (would recommend looking at that) or one of the other suggestions here, a special and awe-inspiring day could absolutely be just a beach if your partner is a beach lover AND you plan it right. There are some gorgeous (spectacular) beaches where you can be pampered yet feel secluded. Or beach clubs where you are in the middle of the EDM and younger vibe.

Many options, anything interest you Artemis???