Need weather insight on Feb 2 cruise

mzharmuny

We have a 3 night cruise aboard the Wonder, Feb 2-5th. Leaving from Port Canaveral. The only stop it makes is to Castaway Cay.

We're traveling with entire family/dear friends and three toddlers. What is the typical weather for this time of year? I don't know if we should pack for summer temps? or winter? or a combo of both!

Will the little ones be able to enjoy the splash area?

Is Castaway Cay warm enough for beach fun?

We're seasoned cruisers, but generally do ours during the summer months, so this is a new way to cruise, for us.

Any information would be helpful! thanks!

Because we have a February birthday and it is generally low season (cost effective), we've done several February cruises and WDW trips. Most of the time, the weather is lovely, but we've had 2 cruises where it was downright cold.

Start by looking up the average temps for Nassau, Bahamas for February, but remember that "averages" are just that--they are made up of higher and lower experiences.

I pack for weather in the 70s during the day, cooler on deck at night. But after the time that I had to buy sweatshirts for everyone at Disney prices, I now pack one "cool weather" outfit for each person. If it is never worn, no big deal. If it takes too much luggage space, this can be the travel outfit as we are traveling from a cold area. Another trick--if the same friend is dropping us at the airport and picking us up, we shed the coats at the airport and leave them in her trunk until she returns to meet us after the cruise. You Won't need heavy winter coats.

I can't forget the day I was on a chair at CC, totally dry (no one had gone near the water) and had covered myself with every towel, beach cover-up, and piece of clothing I had with me. Stern talk to self--get back to the ship, dummy. Why are you sitting here freezing? Coldest Castaway day we ever had....but also quite unusual.

Edited by moki'smommy

We are leaving on our third February cruise out of Florida on February 10th. From my perspective, it 100% depends on where you are from. We are coming from PA which is usually pretty frigid by the time February comes around, so if you are cruising to look for warmer temps, and you're coming from above the Mason-Dixon line, you'll find what you are looking for. Sunshine too, the good vitamin D and E stuff... there's the good news... the bad news is we have yet to be able to do any water sports on CC (parasailing and jet skiing were both cancelled due to high winds and rough waters both times we went). Of course, there's always the risk of not being able to dock at CC due to rough seas, but that has never happened to us and I hear it happens very rarely.

You can swim at CC BUT you may only be swimming with Canadians and people from the north. It's definitely swimable water temperature-wise.

So each person should have at least one long sleeved type of sweatshirt or hoodie... I don't remember needing much more than that during either cruise.

thank you for the helpful information!

Because we have a February birthday and it is generally low season (cost effective)' date=' we've done several February cruises and WDW trips. Most of the time, the weather is lovely, but we've had 2 cruises where it was downright cold.

Start by looking up the average temps for Nassau, Bahamas for February, but remember that "averages" are just that--they are made up of higher and lower experiences.

I pack for weather in the 70s during the day, cooler on deck at night. But after the time that I had to buy sweatshirts for everyone at Disney prices, I now pack one "cool weather" outfit for each person. If it is never worn, no big deal. If it takes too much luggage space, this can be the travel outfit as we are traveling from a cold area. Another trick--if the same friend is dropping us at the airport and picking us up, [b']we shed the coats at the airport and leave them in her trunk until she returns to meet us after the cruise[/b]. You Won't need heavy winter coats.

That's always such a dilemma for us. We take the train from our home to the airport (sooooo convenient) and we don't like to check bags. So we have to bring along our coats since we are waiting on a cold platform to get on the train from our home. Then we have coats all throughout the trip... I think JFK got a coat check (brilliant) and some other airports are following suit, but I WISH there was some place I could leave our coats. We fly out of Philadelphia. You'd think they would smarten up and get a coat check.

I pack for weather in the 70s during the day' date=' cooler on deck at night. But after the time that I had to buy sweatshirts for everyone at Disney prices, I now pack one "cool weather" outfit for each person. If it is never worn, no big deal. If it takes too much luggage space, this can be the travel outfit as we are traveling from a cold area. Another trick--if the same friend is dropping us at the airport and picking us up, we shed the coats at the airport and leave them in her trunk until she returns to meet us after the cruise. You Won't need heavy winter coats.[/quote']

I'll second that, having made February trips to the Orlando parks when the NE was being buried in Nor'easter snows--

A nice mid-70's day in Florida can be a chilly (yes) low-60's day by night or early pre-breakfast morning, enough to require long sleeves or a good sweater.

Since I don't want to lug heavy winter coats through carry-on--and don't have any friends' trunks, just van shuttles--I just layer enough medium-chilly gear (a sweater over a light shirt, and light windbreaker jacket over that) for the trip to the departure airport, strip them off on arriving at MCO, stow them in the day bag, and that's two less bits of after-hours clothes that need packing.

Edited by EJanss

We cruised on Wonder last February and when we stopped at Castaway Cay it was right around 70 degrees-- wind was blowing straight into Serenity Bay so we had to put on hooded sweatshirts to try to stay warm.

We ended up at Family Beach area which was protected from the wind and were able to lay out in our swim suits. Didn't go in the water , but saw kids and adults in .

We have a cruise on Dream the end of February 2017 and are hoping to have warmer temps -- but bringing sweatshirts etc. just in case

We were at Half Moon Cay this past February and it boardered on uncomfortable. The temp was about 70 with a stiff wind. A nice day will afford you a good beach day. The water could feel cool to you since the island is still in the Atlantic. Bring a sweatshirt, windbreaker or sweater with you, the deck gets windy and cool during the day and cooler at night.

The Bahamas have "Florida" like weather...if it's cold in Florida, it's gonna be chilly in the Bahamas, which is where the "cays" are.

You are NOT in the Caribbean in the Bahamas (or Bermuda)...you're in the Atlantic. It will most likely be comfortable..but not totally "summer-like"...unless you're from Canada or the upper northern states...then, you will think you're in heaven!

We have a 3 night cruise aboard the Wonder, Feb 2-5th. Leaving from Port Canaveral. The only stop it makes is to Castaway Cay.

We're traveling with entire family/dear friends and three toddlers. What is the typical weather for this time of year? I don't know if we should pack for summer temps? or winter? or a combo of both!

Will the little ones be able to enjoy the splash area?

Is Castaway Cay warm enough for beach fun?

We're seasoned cruisers, but generally do ours during the summer months, so this is a new way to cruise, for us.

Any information would be helpful! thanks!

It is way too early for anyone to accurately predict the weather for February, and packing now based on previous years would be a waste of your time.

Your best bet is if you must pack things now, pack the essentials, and then to wait until closer to the time to see what the predicted weather and water temps will be.

I know you are excited, but at this point you might as well ask a magic 8 ball what the weather will be like to pack this early!

ex techie

The Bahamas have "Florida" like weather...if it's cold in Florida, it's gonna be chilly in the Bahamas, which is where the "cays" are.

You are NOT in the Caribbean in the Bahamas (or Bermuda)...you're in the Atlantic. It will most likely be comfortable..but not totally "summer-like"...unless you're from Canada or the upper northern states...then, you will think you're in heaven!

This is good information.

ex techie