what to tip bags handler

j2casper

Are you saying we should give one or two dollars total or that we should give one or two dollars per bag? I usually give a dollar a bag at the airport, so I thought that might be appropriate at the pier, but I didn't want to tip less than the standard amount.

Just make sure you don't overtip on the way out! The last time we cruised out of our home port, I tipped well to insure the porter would help getting our bags into the car. Well, he ignored what I said, didn't bother to even look at the tip, just shoved it into his pocket and proceeded to dump our bags off about 20 feet from where he picked them up. Next time, they will not get a tip until the bags are in our car.

I was too embarrassed to ask for the tip back :o .

Those people are union longshoremen, and that is a great deal better job than working container ships or steel. Those nifty carts they use belong to them, and the uniforms they wear also come from their own pocket.

We've sailed our last 5 cruises from Galveston, and I have driven right up to the curb, flagged a porter down and had them take the bags right from my Jeep. This gives my family time to get a spot in line while I head to parking.

I travel with a teenager and a fashion bug for a wife :D , and the luggage would give most NFL linemen a hernia. On good days I've reached in and unloaded a twenty and asked for the bags to go on right away. By doing this we've had the bags waiting in our room when we boarded on 4 of the 5 cruises.

It seems excessive, but I'd rather drop an extra ten there versus the slot machines.

Sometimes ya get what you pay for...

6 days... ship sails!

Lee in Houston

Those people are union longshoremen, and that is a great deal better job than working container ships or steel. Those nifty carts they use belong to them, and the uniforms they wear also come from their own pocket............

It seems excessive, but I'd rather drop an extra ten there versus the slot machines.

Sometimes ya get what you pay for...

I agree. For special service, tip well.

However, the fact that they pay for their uniforms makes no difference to me. I pay for the clothes that I wear to work and I can't wear the same thing every day!

Jane

Archived