Independent tours in Crete?

#eurovirgin

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Iraklion...is it a good place to go independent? I'm not sure where to start.

edit.gif

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Iraklion...is it a good place to go independent? I'm not sure where to start.

edit.gif

eurovirgin...we are on the cruise with you. I was thinking of doing Crete on our own. There will be 4 of us. You and your husband can join us...the thinking is 6 heads are better than one especially in a foreign country.

We are also going to do a tour in Athens, but after reading how easy it is to get around, I am starting to second guess that decision. If you want information on that, let me know at tgrr123@yahoo.com.

Terri

We have had a number of independent land vacations in Crete. Renting a car is a great idea. The driving is very easy. Last time we rented our car from the Avis booth that is in the parking lot by the dock area. Very convenient location to find, and you simple drive up the street to get to the main island thoroughfare. Lots of interesting drives to choose from.

In addition to Knossos why not hire a car and go inland. There are loads of vineyards and some you can visit for wine tastings. The scenery is pretty with lots of nice little villages where you could stop and have lunch in a taverna.

That's a good idea! Where did you get the info for the driving routes? From a travel guide or the TI?

Euro virgin

We were on a land holiday in Crete. To get around we just used a plain, old fashioned map, although I had looked up places on the internet before we went to Crete. Knossos is easy to find as it is at the back of Heraklion and well sign posted.

Another place well worth visiting is Aghios Nikolous, a very pretty town. You would have to do a bit of research and decide what you want to see as Crete is a large island.

I've been twice and really like it. We hired our car from a company called The Best and they were reliable. Although I can drive a manual, we hired an automatic car as there was very little difference in cost.

Lefteris "Lefty" Nikiforakis, an independent driver/guide is who we hired for the day. Very professional, reasonable, knowledgeable and we really enjoyed our day with him. Highly recommend!!!!!

(just Google him and you'll find his info)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk